Ford ST/RS Forum banner

Water Pump Replacement

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Longhorn109 
#1 ·
Just changed the water pump on my ST Tdci and I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

When I separated the power steering pump form the water pump, I noticed a small "O" ring on the pump drive shaft. This was floating on the shaft and not retained. When I fitted the new one, I pushed it over the splines and it retained itself in a groove, but the pump instructions seemed to show it floating, so I moved it out of the groove to be like the old pump.

Shall I leave it or dismantle it and put the "O" ring in the groove ?

The other question is about the correct torque for bolting the water pump to the engine. The Haynes manual says :

Water Pump :

Petrol Engines 10Nm

Diesel Engines 24Nm

Water pump housing (diesel engines) 10Nm

So I've used 10Nm but it doesn't feel tight enough and I found a website giving the torques as 24Nm.

Any advice will be gratefully received !

See less See more
#2 ·
I've made some progress on this.

I found a useful on-line manual :

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/mondeo_2001_10.2000-02.2007/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/303-03_engine_cooling/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/removal_and_installation/water_pump_2.0l_duratorq-di-tddi_(puma)_diesel-2.0l_duratorq-tdci_(puma)_diesel-2.2l_duratorq-tdci_(puma)_diesel/

This gives the torque as 24Nm and I can now see that the Haynes Manual contains a spelling mistake, so that Water Pump Housing should read Water Pump Thermostat Housing, and this would be the 10Nm referred to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.