Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my washer jets arent working. The rear makes the whurring noise but nothing comes out, and the front one does nothing!!! Where do I start? I have checked the fluid levels and its filled it up to the top, could it be a fuse? A blockage? Or has the pump gone? Also, how do you operate the headlight washers? Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Blocked ?, use a pin to clean the nozzles, if there making a noise, cant be a fuse. Headlights washers work only when the headlights are on.

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Hi

Pipe can come off pump, accessible behind front of wheel-arch liner on driver's side.
Alternatively, pipe can disconnect from a plastic elbow behind roof liner panel. This is beside rear hatch on driver's side; carefully remove two plastic bungs to access screws.

Rear washer gets bunged up around pump if not regularly used and pipe can block quicker if you run with a high concentration of screen wash.

Peter

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I think for the rear it is going to be the pipe, but the front washers do nothing! No pump sound, wipers or washers when I push the button at all... do they all run off the same fuse? Are the front and back washers run from the same pump/circuit?Im a bit stuck lol

·
Boaring a Nation of ST'ers to death
1,415 Posts
Its probably the washer pump hidden behind the front offside wheel liner.

the pump costs a couple of quid and fitting takes about an hour.

If it was the pipes being blocked, you would hear the pump whirring away.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I've just done this on mine. The washer pump is shagged on mine with only the rear working regardless of what button I press.
Not the easilest thing to get at, drivers wheel off, wheel arch liner out, headlamps and grille out, headlamp washer cover off, front bumper pulled way forward to gain access to three bolts for washer bottle which is tucked behind Air con thing, but can be wiggled past.
The windscreen washer is a single pump with two outlets, the headlamp pump is separate but attached to the same bottle.
Disconnect both plugs and three hoses, pull out low level switch and it can be withdrawn.

Pumps are easy to swop then unless like you get the WRONG PUMP !!!!!
New pump said 2.2 mondeo on box, same shape but different electrical connection, something I couldn't compare until stripping it all out first

In which case swop front to rear hoses over so as front windscreen now works regardless of which button is pressed, put it all back together and say f*ck it !

Jamo

Its hidden behind that silver tank thing

Connector on original faulty pump

Connector on new pump

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New pump it is then, great post Jamo, thanks! I have a racebits intercooler ready to go on so will order a new pump and get this done at the same time!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Its easy with the bumper off, there are three bolts attaching the bumper cover to the front lower wing behind the headlamp and then a couple of press & slide type clips underneath the headlamps and the bumper just slides forward and off.
See if you can fit the new intercooler lower down, there's loads of room for it yet the standard seems to be tucked up behind the number plate.
Good opportunity to check the front lower grill is fitted snuggly, mine has lost all its clips and broken in two places !

Jamo

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Hi

One of the rare situations where later 2003-2007 version is considerably cheaper than early 2000-2003 item which is something like £60 from Ford.

Peter

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
My pump was exactly £30 inc vat, might as well have been £3 being the wrong part !!

My headlamp washer pump makes no noises either, I'll check electricals first, its a larger pump and looks expensive

Jamo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts