Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, one has to extract the TB from the car. You'll need a Torx set or a Torx30 to undo the bolts.
Hardest part is removing the throttle cable
I used a big pair of pliers and prised it over the mushroom head holding it in place.
Unclip the throttle sensor cable.
Take the TB to your "workbench"

Tools required....2 part epoxy, sandpaper, Dremmel (mini-drill), suitable Dremmel tools. wet "n" dry, face-mask.

Firstly you need to rough up the outer wall of the TB where it is "indented" with a coarse sandpaper. This gives a good "key" for the epoxy to adhere to.

When satisfied, make up the epoxy and let it cure for a while until it is starting to go off.
Smear the epoxy over the TB, building it up to fill the indentation. Be aware that you working on a curved face and make sure none of the epoxy gets onto the TB butterfly return spring.
When happy that the epoxy is built up enough, more better than less, let it set hard.

With your Dremmel, or equivalent, start to strip away the plastic "lips" which protude in the TB. Do this slowly, a little at a time, taking care not to take too much off in one go. Stop occassionally to clear away shavings and debris, and to make sure all is ok so far.
The idea is to get a smooth inner surface. If you are happy, take a little wet and dry to smooth off the inner wall.

Voila, one ported TB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent post and good timing too.

Ordered a spare throttle body for my ST yesterday so I can mod it at my leisure and do a simple swap over once done.

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
thats a good how-to STFUN thanks for the info

·
Registered
138 Posts
How about optimizing it mate, filing down the bar with the butterfly on and using some nice recessed screws instead of the Torx ones. I will try and find a pic of mine

G

·
Gonna need to set-up a how-to section already!
Nice work fella, i'll publish your how-to over the weekend if thats ok with you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice one Ian.

I was looking at the Focus Cnetral one as I can get it shipped in the US and brought back on hand luggage!

Should have got myself an aem Intake whilst i was out there! doh!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine's done now too, got a spare body off Turbo Ray and gave it to my brother to do the tricky bits. Didn't take him long to smooth it all out and I took some time to file down the heads on the torx screws for the butterfly and trim the screw threads flush too.

Pretty simple job to fit too, the spare tb came with the rubber grommet on the opening arm so I just pulled the spring clip off and popped the cable end off the grommet. I adjusted the cable too so it opened fully and have given the car a quick drive but haven't noticed much difference (yet). Vernier cam pulley is next on the list me thinks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts