Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this may be of use to some or many of us on here. I have an 07 St TDCI which has developed the common dropping rear bumper fault. After many phone calls to Fords it looks like I am on my own and the only way forward is the simple screw fix DIY method given in other threads on here.

What I have found out is that this problem IS recognised by Fords although many Ford dealers denign it when you call. A technical service bulletin was issued on the FordEtis computer system in 2006- so ask them to look it up if they dont know of this commen problem!

In the TSB its identifies that the problem is related to the Mondeo with the styling kit only i.e. ST220, ST TDCI and Titanium (Limited Ed) as the attatchment flanges dont have sufficient stiffness. Fords say the only fix is a new bumper which in my case they will not do as the car is out of warrenty!

Fords have tried to resolve the issue by revising the rear bumper on models built after 16.08.2006 where they revised the design of the rear bumper covers (see attached). However, its obviously not worked as my car in a 2007 model.....grrrr

I have read on this site that there is an unofficial 12 year warrenty on this fault but my insider at Fords has told me that this is NOT correct and his garage (Main Ford dealer in Liverpool) will not fix this under warrenty once the warrenty has expired on the vehicle.

I have attached the TSB below FYI.

Attachments

·
Streetkat !
13,522 Posts
It's a known fault along with the corroding alloy wheels but at the end of the day the car was designed over 10 years ago and production stopped 4-5 years ago so there is a limit to what can be expected of them.

I am not defending them because they were not that generous when the car was in production but I guess you have to draw a line under it somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I agree. I just wanted to make sure I had investigated all avenues before drilling into my cars body work!

·
NEIL
6,177 Posts
I also have 07 tdci ... I had so called up-dated rear bumper fitted under the tsb ... My car was still in warranty @ the time so that may have helped ... I also had the foam support pads fitted @ the same time @ my exspence ....
All I can say is don't waste ur time as mine is now supported by the screw fix method .....

·
Registered
895 Posts
TBH, i would just do the screw fix as long as your bumper isn't damaged, save the hassle and time of taking it to fords. It took me 30 mins, looks like it came out of the factory and nobody knows you have drilled 5 holes in it. And if i can do it, anybody can !!

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Im actually amazed no one from Screw Fix Direct has started legal proceedings against us for copyright infringement

·
Registered
895 Posts
As if !!

·
Flat out!
4,984 Posts
A good screw can fix so many things.

·
6ft5 Andy
2,292 Posts
I also have 07 tdci ... I had so called up-dated rear bumper fitted under the tsb ... My car was still in warranty @ the time so that may have helped ... I also had the foam support pads fitted @ the same time @ my exspence ....
All I can say is don't waste ur time as mine is now supported by the screw fix method .....
Hi m8 i had a new bumper fitted under warranty and two weeks after it was fitted it started to drop, so guess what i had to use the screw fix method as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts