Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am having trouble with my St tdci when starting from cold, the car kangaroos quite violently when i let it run in first just off of the clutch. First noticed the problem on the colder mornings a few months ago (-5 to 5 degrees) but now around 11 degrees its still kangarooing.
No loss of power, no smoke, EGR is fairly clean and not clogged up. New exhaust recently installed (nothing special just a bog standard exhaust). Car runs perfect after a few hundred metres, no knocking from the engine, no rattles, no over heating.
Took it to a local reliable garage that I've used for many years and they couldnt get anything on the diagnostics, and explained that without them seeing the problem (engine warm by the time i get there) they cant seem to put their finger on the problem.
Recently changed the fuel and air filters to out rule dirty fuel or air restriction, and likewise i inspected the EGR.

Have researched into the problem and there seems to be similar problems others are having, but with far more symptoms involved. Not sure if it may be the usual injector related problems as the car does not suffer from loss of power or rough idling any other time than when i first start it up.

Would appreciate any feedback / insight into the problem if anyone has suffered the same,

Many thanks

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Rev it instead of sitting at idle?

Does it idle fine? If not probably either injectors or glow plugs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd try blanking the silver pipe joining the right hand side of the egr. use the metal gasket already there to make a template. (tin call will do the job)

Its a cheap test to see if thing improve - mine use the stutter and jerk when cold - blanking this pipe has cured it.

the egr even when cleaned and looking ok can still be faulty.

·
NEIL
6,177 Posts
What make of fuel filter did u use ... These cars only like ford, Bosch or Delphi .....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a halfords filter, but the problem was there long before I changed the fuel filter, might look out a other filter but not sure it will sort out the kangaroo problem, had the problem before I changed the filter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rev it instead of sitting at idle?

Does it idle fine? If not probably either injectors or glow plugs.
sorry for the late reply mate,

it idles fine once ive set off and give it some revs, its only the initial set off where it jumps all over the place, its as if something is interupting the fuel supply temporarily. ill get an amp meter and check the glow plugs, fingers crossed i dont need new injectors. Worse case senario,do you know if re - coding the injectors would be worthwhile?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Blanking the egr with a bit of tin is a good free simple way to give you a start on finding what the problem is, and where to go from there, if it isnt the egr you havent lost owt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.