Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I wonder if any of you can shed any light on my locking problem.
I went out to the car this am (-5°}, pressed the key fob and there was nothing. Tried the spare key from indoors, and again, no sounds even. Thinking the car battery was dead, I opened the bonnet (which set the alarm off) put a meter on it: 11.9v, so that's ok. I opened the door with the key and it fired up ok.
Sitting in the car, I can press the fob buttons time after time and I'll all lock/unlock with no problem, but I have discovered that the only easy to lock it from the outside is to literally hold the key up to the driver's footer lock before pressing the button. Even moving 6" away it stops working.
Both keys' batteries show over 3v on the meter, and yesterday everything was working perfectly.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Predictive text!!
What that last bit should say is:
Sitting in the car, I can press the fob buttons time after time and I'll all lock/unlock with no problem, but I have discovered that the only way to lock it from the outside is to literally hold the key up to the driver's door lock before pressing the button. Even moving 6" away it stops working.

·
Streetkat !
13,522 Posts
Either the sensors have got less responsive because of the cold or there is some electromagnetive interference nearby. If it locks/unlocks easily in another place then it's the interference. If it's still difficult with both keys then it's more likely car related.

·
STdriver
60 Posts
Hi,
Had exactly the same problem with mt ST last week, tried the spare key just the same as you.
I replaced the battery in the remote fob and all was cured.
As the spare fob generally sits in the draw unused the battery in it will still drain over time.
I was convinced my fob battery was ok as it was not that old, but you would be surprised.
The new battery is CR2032 or equivalent.

Regards

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help chaps.
After unsuccessfully trying to unplug the GEM module as suggested by a Ford tech on some other website (no offence!),
I read GT's reply, and thought that before I went to get a new fob battery (in spite of the current ones reading 3.2v), I'd drive around the block and see if location made a difference.
I could lock/unlock from 75 feet away! Weird stuff.
It still won't work well outside the house, but at least I know it's not technically broken.
Half a mile away a great big black mast with a slightly fatter top quarter has been erected - is this a coincidence I wonder??
Thanks again,
Terrie.

·
Streetkat !
13,522 Posts
It is getting more common as more masts are erected and some people really suffer with it especially near military installations. Sometimes you can do it by standing close to your car shielding the key to block out the interference.

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's interesting.
I tried to find reference to the black mast up the road on the website of the local rag.
There was no reference to that one, but there was a story from a couple of years ago about a then newly erected police Tetra mast. Local residents were complaining that their car keys were not working either, among other things.
Makes you wonder what all these radio waves do to us.
I'll be interested to see if the key works outside the house today.
Nice new car by the way...

·
NEIL
6,177 Posts
Of topic I know but what u get GT....

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to finish this off, car locking now working properly outside the house again!
I might never know what that was all about!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts