Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just passed!
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can notice it around 30mph but soon as you get to 60 and say let off accelerate I hear it even louder. It's like a strange droning vibration sound just sounds rough anyone got any ideas at all

·
diesel power
1,732 Posts
Could be wheel bearings

·
Just passed!
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had my car getting the wheels changed so while they were doing the rears I asked them to check front wheel bearings....no noise at all and no play in either front wheel.. is it possible that it can still be a wheel bearing even if there is no play or noise on rotation the wheel by hand/?

bit stumped as its doing my head in pretty sure the drone goes away if you turn right ie where I could I was doing 30 hearing the noise turned the wheel left and right a bit and at best it sounded like it went on the right... had the guys doin tyres not fully mechanics throwing scary words in their like gearbox diff, diff,, gear box oil looking for ideas or how to diagnose

weired on the motorway or last time I was on it as say building up speed from 40-60 it makes the droning noise yet above its fine until you let off accelerate and it may start again depending on speed... confused :S

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Without being there personally its just a guessing game but a few things to check as well as already suggested.

Is it just a noise or a vibration as well ?

Can you determine what part of the car its coming from? front ? rear ? left? right ? everywhere ?

Did it start when you had new tyres fitted ?

Did it start after a significant event ? service etc ?

Tyres....out of shape, unbalanced, general tyre noise.

Shockers worn

Exhaust blowing

Bodywork come adrift......underbody tray etc

There is also the awful thought of a mechanical fault, driveshaft, clutch, random bearing etc

Does it do it in every gear ? every road surface ? every journey ? always the same scenario ? can you make it 'not' happen by driving differently, holding it in 3rd etc ?

Could be anything really

Jamo

·
Just passed!
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres no vibration just a noise... its like a droning noise sounds to me like front drivers side. I have not had any new tyres fitted other than today and they were to the rear.

I was away with work while the wife was driving it and I only noticed the noise about a few weeks ago on a motorway journey but I could only hear it around 50-60mph so obviously just went 70 :)

now its more prominent even at 30mph.

doesn't sound like a noise from the tyres to me or suspension related as the noise isn't surface/degree related...

it makes the noise with clutch in or out...isn't related to revs/gearing which is why I thought of the wheel bearing not mechanical related.

the gear selection / clutch control is no different than the last 4 years I have owned the car either...

onlything putting me off saying it was the wheel bearing was there was no play in it at all and no noise on hand spinning. I had a wheel bearing replaced a few years ago and I remember no play in the wheel but I remember it sounding like broken mettle clanging when spinning the wheel by hand... but not so much the drone I am getting now

which is why I am confused and hoping someone else had the same problem and praying it is just the wheel bearing..

·
and1lpool
76 Posts
Sounds similar to a noise I've been having recently. I've bn describing it as a warbling noise. And think its drivers side rear. Just had balance. Tracking. 2 back tyres and tracking rod done. Suspension and safety checks all clear. Still same noise. Plus at low speeds can hear and feel a rubbing noise under my feet. Not a scooby doo what's goin on. And to be honest. Gettin a bit sick of it. Any ideas lads. ???

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got a vibration over 50mph when accelerating. When holding at a constant speed over 50 it's fine. Took it to garage and found it was the drive shaft bearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to the ST family,. I've got this droning front left I've just had all new tyres and suspension done and alignment,. The guys pulled on the wheels to check the bearing CV joints etc. No worries there but when we took it out before and after the work was done the noise is there still. If I drive straight or turn right on cornering it's there but if I corner left it almost seems to go completely. Please help me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts