Ford ST/RS Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
BC ST Driver (BC=Before Chavs)
1,015 Posts
A18XJF said:
Some good pros/cons for both cars. It seems a lot of people like the more refind approach of the 220. Cant fault that one bit, it is a lot plusher than the older model no questions but at the end of the day i have a 330D BMW with every option ticked so that not a concern for me. Ill also admit that my mk2 has fully adjustable suspension, custom roll bars, complete system, filter, chip, gas flowed manifolds etc etc. So its not exactly standard but still not as powerful as a 220 although im sure it will have better power to weight and is definatley faster in a straight line than a stock 220.

Im lucky enough to have one that does not suffer from throttle hang or moosing.

But i still think the mk2 is a more solid and better built vehicle. My wheels are 10yrs old and not one bit of corrosion. Nothing has ever fallen off or broken and i have 2 young children! Seriously, park a mk2 next to a mk3 and just compare things like the monkey handles and cubby holes you will see what im talking about.

How about this..... a track day or sprint event at Elvington, York is very reasonably priced and a great chance to drive your car to the limit. It also has the advantage of being an airfield so there is nothing to hit apart from grass should you make a mess of thing (just like hamster) If anyone likes the idea i could enquire about dates/pricing. Would be a great opportunity to compare cars back to back!
At the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference. You test drove one and decided against it so fair play to you. Mk3 ST220s aren't everyone's cup of tea. In fact a Sound Engineer friend of mine owns a Mk1 ST24 estate and even though he doesn't doubt the power of 220, however; he hates the interior. He thinks it's too German.

They're some nice examples of MK1 and MK2 ST24s knocking around here where I live - the drivers always give me a wave when I see them.

BTW, my monkey handles are fine - it's just the sh1t alloys that wind me up!

·
Just passed!
84 Posts
A18XJF, interested to hear how the 330D compares to the 2 ST's? It was on my shortlist before I bought the ST, all that torque sounded like fun :evil:

·
Registered
90 Posts
jon1bc said:
petrolhead88 said:
More power makes you go faster in a straight line, but less weight makes you accelerate, brake and corner faster.

Hence by logic, ST24 rules.
What a load of dog sh*t - you cant apply logic to that..
That was me just being silly. But obviously less weight is a big advantage.

To be fair if offered at the same price I would take the ST220 everytime purely for the look of the thing. Also I imagine an ST220 would rattle less than mine.

Although it does seem that they do suffer a lot more problems than the ST24. Likewise my wheels are 11 years old and are pretty much unmarked and not a hint of corrosion. I've also read of quite a few people having major engine troubles with their ST220's at low mileages. Can't say I've heard the same about the ST24.

·
Boaring a Nation of ST'ers to death
1,415 Posts
A18XJF said:
How about this..... a track day or sprint event at Elvington, York is very reasonably priced and a great chance to drive your car to the limit. It also has the advantage of being an airfield so there is nothing to hit apart from grass should you make a mess of thing (just like hamster) If anyone likes the idea i could enquire about dates/pricing. Would be a great opportunity to compare cars back to back!
too far for me but i would love to see the results.

heres an interesting ST24vsST200

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Drumdude, no mk1 ST24's were ever built, MK2 only ;)

As for above points raised, mk1 and mk2 V6's suffered quite a lot from head gasket and water pump failures, writing off many a V6. Something which doesn't seem to be afflicting the MK3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats a pointless statement mate because the st24 is 5 or 6 years older than the oldest st220 u can buy, so when the st220 is 11 years old I am sure that will be good value for money. If you hadn't guessed I have a st220.

·
If your not first, your LAST...
2,968 Posts
Monkeyra said:
As for above points raised, mk1 and mk2 V6's suffered quite a lot from head gasket and water pump failures, writing off many a V6. Something which doesn't seem to be afflicting the MK3.
Though there may be some sort of design flaw on the V6's(all V6s) that we dont know about...... :whistling:

·
Getting better
303 Posts
I havent owned an ST24 or ST200 but my mate used to have an ST24 which imho made a superior sound and really did sound aggresive and mean, but other than that i really dont think you can compare them!

The build quality in my ST220 surprised me as coming from an Audi i thought i'd notice a huge difference and wouldnt be happy with the build but its the total opposite, the build quality is excellent and to be honest i really cant fault it!

Only prob i have is an annoying squeak coming from the rear somewhere in the interior, sounds like it comes from the seat belt holder at the rear passanger side, but when i fold the seats down it stops. VERY weird! :)

·
Getting better
303 Posts
Oh there is one thing i think all the ST220's sit too high for a sports tourer/saloon but thats personal preference!

Since theres very little roll etc when cornering and the hadling is so good i cant complain.

How much effort is required to lower an estate?

·
2,968 Posts
DAMOLITION said:
Are you talking about a ongoing thread on another car forum there shem, if so i hope he gets it sorted soon and tells us his insider info i'm interested to findout what he's heard.
Spot on m8 :first: , and yes would be real interested to find out what's the story....
:L

·
2,968 Posts
Update on this guys, apparently you have to change the oil REGULARLY in every v6 in the duratec block family, not every 12 months but every 6 or 6k miles, mmmmmm mysterious
:L

41 - 57 of 57 Posts