1,415 Posts
i know brakes on the mkII feel better.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Tom said:
Woah woah woah...

No way man.

I've had a MKII 2.0 Zetec-S and an MKII ST24.

The build quality in the MKIII ST220 is FAR superior.

Everything about the ST220 is FAR superior to that in anything found in the MKII's.

There is only 1 thing I can think of that was better in the ST24 - The noise. It sounded brilliant from inside the cabin, whereas the ST220 sounds slightly muted.

From outside however, the ST220 sounds gorgeous.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my MKII Mondeos, especially the ST24, but is it better than the ST220?

No chance.
Gotta agree with you there, the MK3 is a massive improvement over the MK2 (which is just a facelifted MK1 after all).

ST220 for me any day of the week!

·
Just passed!
51 Posts
i owned a 98 st24 a few years back and didnt keep it very long as i just didnt like it as i found it really dull. the st220 however is in a different league in every respect, faster, more comfortable, better specced, much better and sportier looking and feels more planted the faster you go.
i just cant see how anyone who had driven both for a while could possibly prefer the older model.
i cant think of one single thing that i prefered on the old car, the way the revs used to hang between gear changes and pulling up at junctions with the clutch down used to drive me nuts.
i wonder if there is anyone else on here who prefers the old model.

·
Boaring a Nation of ST'ers to death
1,415 Posts
ST24 has 126.6 BHP per tonne
ST220 has 152.3 BHP per tonne

but the ST200 has 152.6 BHP per tonne

ST24... nuff said... :surprised:

·
BC ST Driver (BC=Before Chavs)
1,015 Posts
A18XJF said:
Half an hour later i drove away in my old ST a very happy man! Not because i treated myself to a new toy, but because it took me less than half an hour to decide the old st was in my opinion the better car!

The newer model felt cheap (the monkey handle on the drivers side fell off in my hand and the little cubby hole on the right hand side of the steering wheel did the same). It did not handle as well and the back end broke away far too easy on round-abouts and in tight corners, it under steered very badly when accelerating out of corners and generaly delivered little of what i was expecting. Not to mention the vague steering and i dont know for sure but i have a feeling that it might be some what heavier than the old model.
I have no idea of what the build quality/handling of the MK2 ST24 or ST200 is like. However, I have had no issues with the interior trim of the my ST220. But exterior is a different story i.e. corroding alloys and poorly fitted rear bumper (estate).

In comparison to the non-ST MK1 and MK2 mondeos I've owned; my ST220 knocks the socks off them in comfort and handling.

But bear this in mind, when these vehicles turn up at dealerships they are usually used A LOT by the tosser Sales Managers and Sales Reps of the franchise. In my experience I have found that it is these pr!cks that damage the vehicles.

A t0sser that I once knew - used to be a mate - worked for a Ford franchise and he used to "borrow" ST24s and Cougers for the weekend. He drove those vehicles like he stole them! His kids ran riot in them breaking the trim etc. I felt sorry for the poor [email protected] that bought it on finance once he'd finished with it!

So just bear the above in mind. Find a private sale ST220/1 Owner/ Low miles and have a go in it - beware of these Dealership offerings.

·
Boaring a Nation of ST'ers to death
1,415 Posts
I cant believe you did £ per BHP. lol i dont mind payin the extra for the looks and mod cons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Some good pros/cons for both cars. It seems a lot of people like the more refind approach of the 220. Cant fault that one bit, it is a lot plusher than the older model no questions but at the end of the day i have a 330D BMW with every option ticked so that not a concern for me. Ill also admit that my mk2 has fully adjustable suspension, custom roll bars, complete system, filter, chip, gas flowed manifolds etc etc. So its not exactly standard but still not as powerful as a 220 although im sure it will have better power to weight and is definatley faster in a straight line than a stock 220.

Im lucky enough to have one that does not suffer from throttle hang or moosing.

But i still think the mk2 is a more solid and better built vehicle. My wheels are 10yrs old and not one bit of corrosion. Nothing has ever fallen off or broken and i have 2 young children! Seriously, park a mk2 next to a mk3 and just compare things like the monkey handles and cubby holes you will see what im talking about.

How about this..... a track day or sprint event at Elvington, York is very reasonably priced and a great chance to drive your car to the limit. It also has the advantage of being an airfield so there is nothing to hit apart from grass should you make a mess of thing (just like hamster) If anyone likes the idea i could enquire about dates/pricing. Would be a great opportunity to compare cars back to back!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts