Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ST24/200 V ST220

I had a moment of blue oval addiction today and decided to swap my ST24 for an ST220. So having found one at my local ford dealer with low miles and top spec i went down in anticipation of test drive, and having my pants pulled down over trade in price and ready to sign up for finance.

Half an hour later i drove away in my old ST a very happy man! Not because i treated myself to a new toy, but because it took me less than half an hour to decide the old st was in my opinion the better car!

The newer model felt cheap (the monkey handle on the drivers side fell off in my hand and the little cubby hole on the right hand side of the steering wheel did the same). It did not handle as well and the back end broke away far too easy on round-abouts and in tight corners, it under steered very badly when accelerating out of corners and generaly delivered little of what i was expecting. Not to mention the vague steering and i dont know for sure but i have a feeling that it might be some what heavier than the old model.

Rant over, im off to fire up my mint 1998 st24 RSAP saloon, take it down my local back road, spank the living daylights out of her and treat her to a spit & polish on my return.

Call me old school, but has anyone else decided to hang on to their mk2?

·
ST Addict
1,179 Posts
Maybe you drove a dog? but the 24 and 220 are in different legaues, the 220 is more superior to the older model it replaced

Ive had mine a year now (had to tax it today!) and still love driving it - even if its going to work :driving:

·
Registered
949 Posts
ST24/200 V ST220

I had a moment of blue oval addiction today and decided to swap my ST24 for an ST220. So having found one at my local ford dealer with low miles and top spec i went down in anticipation of test drive, and having my pants pulled down over trade in price and ready to sign up for finance.

Half an hour later i drove away in my old ST a very happy man! Not because i treated myself to a new toy, but because it took me less than half an hour to decide the old st was in my opinion the better car!

The newer model felt cheap (the monkey handle on the drivers side fell off in my hand and the little cubby hole on the right hand side of the steering wheel did the same). It did not handle as well and the back end broke away far too easy on round-abouts and in tight corners, it under steered very badly when accelerating out of corners and generaly delivered little of what i was expecting. Not to mention the vague steering and i dont know for sure but i have a feeling that it might be some what heavier than the old model.

Rant over, im off to fire up my mint 1998 st24 RSAP saloon, take it down my local back road, spank the living daylights out of her and treat her to a spit & polish on my return.

Call me old school, but has anyone else decided to hang on to their mk2?
Maybe you drove it like a dog

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superior in what respects though? In my mind a Super Touring should do exactly what it says on the tin. Ive used my ST for every thing from the school run to racing safety car and 3k mile trips to the Nurburghring and nothing ever fell off! Not even after a sub 10min lap! I honesstly could not see the mk3 doing that without driving me nuts and leaving a trail of plastic trim and bumpers behind it!

Maybe its just me but the mk2 has a raw feel about it and a little more character, in my experience thats what a super touring should deliver especially a Ford. It just felt tame, clinical and cheap.

·
Grumpy
1,430 Posts
I recommend you test drive another one, that way you can make a further judgement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly dont see how test driving another one will change build quality/handling. Ive driven an ST TDCI and to be truthfull i didnt pay that much attention to the build but the drive was exactly the same minus a fare bit of poke. The car i test drove today had only done 12K, one owner and was less than 12mths old.

Just out of interest, has either priceymike, jon1bc or arctic owned an older ST?

·
ST Addict
1,179 Posts
I have not owned one but I have driven a few as I was looking to buy one but bought a Leon FR instead! :ph34r:

As for the super touring I feel it does exactly that, I use it daily to/from work, social use, "sprinted" drives and the odd long trip - just this week to and from Scotland with a total of 1300 miles in 4 days and was everything a ST should be quick, comfy a nice place to be to do all those miles :cool:

If you don't like it then fair enough get a different car. Each to there own. I'm not sayings it's the best car around but I like mine and that all that counts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So its not just me! Im not saying the St220 is a bad car, fare from it! i just think it delivers an experience more akin to a luxury car and the driving experience has been tamed.

·
ST Addict
1,179 Posts
Could be worse - A vectra GSi :}

Everyone has there own opions to cars,

Its just because i cant afford to run an M5 i have the 220 he he

·
Getting better
263 Posts
i have had both mk2s and mk3 ,yes the mk3 is more refined but after going back to a mk2 st200 from my 52 plate st220 ,well lets just say i only kept the 200 for a couple of months ,each to there own taste though

·
Registered
90 Posts
A18XJF said:
3k mile trips to the Nurburghring and nothing ever fell off! Not even after a sub 10min lap!
I thought the Ring was 650 miles away? So that 1300 miles return.

Nice to hear it set a sub 10 minute lap time though. Was that bridge to gantry? Planning on taking mine and sub 10 mins is the aim. What time did you get exactly?

·
Grumpy
1,430 Posts
I did drive my mates old ST200, going back a few years tho. wasn't bad, well spec'd on equipment. That was when i had my beloved antique maestro turbo. Those where the days.............ahhh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About 9.45 ish is my best time in the ST and about 8.45 on the bike (terrifying!!!!!). We always join at Ad' bridge becasue some of my mates run kit cars which would fail the sound test.

3000mls is about what i clock on a week long trip to the ring with days out (the roads are to die for!)

A vectra GSi hhhmmm think we would all rather shove wasps up our arses!!!!!!!!!

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Hi

A nice low mileage ST200 is probably the car for you then.

Peter

·
Boaring a Nation of ST'ers to death
1,415 Posts
in thought ST stood for Sports Technology, Not Super Tourer.

·
Supreme Nerd
2,557 Posts
Ok, everyone is entitled to there opinion.
BUT, under steered?

I have never had that problem. Just the other day i took a roundabout that had a radius of about 20-30m at 70km/h.
The front was were i told it to be and the rear taged along for the ride. Nothing unexpected at all and absolutely no under steer.
Only thing i noticed was the small scream from the front tyres.

Maby you drove a RWD converted? :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
A18XJF said:
About 9.45 ish is my best time in the ST and about 8.45 on the bike (terrifying!!!!!). We always join at Ad' bridge becasue some of my mates run kit cars which would fail the sound test.
Thats impressive on the bike mate. I can imagine it being very scary.
So where do you time from then if you join at Adenaur bridge, because don't you have to pull in half way down the long straight?
Or do you go on days when the entire straight is open to drive through?

·
Getting better
250 Posts
Woah woah woah...

No way man.

I've had a MKII 2.0 Zetec-S and an MKII ST24.

The build quality in the MKIII ST220 is FAR superior.

Everything about the ST220 is FAR superior to that in anything found in the MKII's.

There is only 1 thing I can think of that was better in the ST24 - The noise. It sounded brilliant from inside the cabin, whereas the ST220 sounds slightly muted.

From outside however, the ST220 sounds gorgeous.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my MKII Mondeos, especially the ST24, but is it better than the ST220?

No chance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts