Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently become a new ST220 owner (and new forum member) and I was wondering what mods/upgrades/accessories people recommend getting. Lets say my budget is £1k.

I've already ordered some FLAT retrofit wiper blades from www.wiperblades.co.uk for £20 all-round after reading suggestions from around the forum.

I've read a little about and am interested in:
  • Boot stowage tray (1136350) - £82
  • Goodridge braided brake hoses - ~£57
  • K&N Filter - £34
so please tell me more!

My biggest bug bears (and therefore priorities) at the moment are:
  • No Xenon lights
  • Brakes could be sharper
  • No bluetooth/satnav/proper iphone integration
If posting a suggestion please state:
  • manufacturer/model
  • going rate cost (preferably with link to buy)
  • Ford part number (where applicable/possible)
  • estimate as to the amount of hours it'd take a professional at a garage to install (I know nothing about car DIY plus it's freezing outside
    )
  • benefits
One other thing. This car has 90bhp more than my last one and I've not had it long so I'm not in any rush to do performance-enhancing upgrades just yet as I'm still settling in with the car UNLESS the upgrade is a simple one with relatively few caveats and good bang for buck.

Thanks for reading and I loook forward to your reply

·
ST Addict
1,600 Posts
Best upgrades?

Focus ST front calipers, braided hoses, decent fluid and a driver training course.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Paul,

Are the Focus ST calipers from the MK1 or MK2? Is it a cosmetic upgrade or do they improve braking? Finally, where do I get them from?

Can you recommend some brake fluid?

Never thought about a driver training course - any recommendations in the Midlands area?

·
A bit of a tit!
3,595 Posts
If you get any squeaks or creaks from the edges of the rear seat back rubbing on the plastic "wall" trim, or rattles from the seat back release latches, get some black sticky-back felt from Hobbycraft. Worked a treat on mine!

Get the handbrake cables checked. They sieze and cause the rear brakes to bind, wasting fuel and making driving in snow/ice interesting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't noticed any rattles or squeeks yet but in the rear view mirror I can see the end of the parcel shelf flapping up and down at motorway speeds which is a bit distracting.

According to the car's service history, a fault with the handbrake was identified 10th March 2011 during it's last service. The notes included said "OSR caliper weak on hand brake operation (cables partially seized)". Unfortunately I can't tell if it was fixed or not.

OK so we have a couple of votes for improving the brakes. The question is then what parts do I get? Lots of people seem to have "Redstuffs" pads in their sigs so I presume they're decent? I've read that I don't really need drilled discs for normal road driving (I only do 8k/year of mixed driving - no racing) but what about grooved ones? Are the Ford OEM discs any good? I would prefer a brake setup that was decent from cold.

Lots of people seem to get the Goodridge hoses so that's an easy choice. They come in 2 types by the looks of it with either zinc or stainless steel fittings. Is the ~£20 premium worth it for the SS ones?

Keep the advice coming!

·
A bit of a tit!
3,595 Posts
Fixing the flapping parcel shelf - there are 2 plastic support brackets, one each side of the shelf. The screws holding these can come undone & fall to the floor of the boot. If you have to replace them, get the right length or you could damage the paintwork.

Zinc coating can get scratched off when you fit the hoses, letting the steel rust. Stainless is better.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Get your engine plastics and grills,rear bumper inserts painted if you can,looks the nuts.there's a few threads in care n detailing.
Also could change interior bulbs
St badge for bottom grill.
I've got seatcovers,seatbelt pads,st badge to the left of gear lever.
All cheap easy subtle changes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take a closer look at the parcel shelf tomorrow OverWhatHill - thanks for the tip.

Is this a good price/supplier for the Goodridge hoses and also the correct fit for my 54-reg facelift ST220?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge-4-Line-Brake-Kit-S-S-Ford-Mondeo-ST220-2003-/180808245145?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1902df99

Some great ideas there infra 1. When I get round to deciding on/ordering the headlight bulbs/xenons I'll get some LEDs for the interior bulbs at the same time. I'll get the ST badge for the front grill too - not seen them on the ST220 but look good on the Fiesta ST I thought. The ivory leather sports seats on mine are lovely so I'll be leaving them as-is. I've not seen the interior ST badge - got a link?

Got any photos of the painted grills/bumper inserts? I'm finding it hard to imagine how they'd look.

·
Trundling along
542 Posts
I have the st220 badge for the lower front grill for mine after 06 they were added to the car by Ford.

I've seen a PB engine bay painted before but it's a lot of work rubbing down the plastics to get the finish nice. I wouldn't bother so long as you detail the engine bay it looks good as it is.

Don't do xenons without the projector headlights as thats what anyone can do and the beam pattern is shite and looks chav! Try and find some originals.

·
ST Addict
1,600 Posts
Hi Paul, Are the Focus ST calipers from the MK1 or MK2? Is it a cosmetic upgrade or do they improve braking? Finally, where do I get them from? Can you recommend some brake fluid? Never thought about a driver training course - any recommendations in the Midlands area?
Focus ST 225 - NOT ST170 calipers. eBay and breakers, or the classifieds on here. Not cheap these days (£250 for the calipers and carriers + the discs and pads), but they do haul the car up better in my opinion.

As for driver training - www.ridedrive.co.uk - well worth the money.

·
Trundling along
542 Posts
It is but it works as I had it on my old one for two years and it didn't come off. The grill on the later models is different an has a space made for it. So unless you want to take the bumper off remove the old grill and replace it at a big cost no doubt this will work fine!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.