Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Any of u fellow TDCi owners ran into these issues ? Hopefully (in a bizarre way of saying it) these are common issues that I can get resolved.....

1. Put key in ignition, turn, all lights are on, but nothing happens, no crank, nothing.......
I try the key quite a few more times, it fires up and away I go...... It doesn't do this all the time, intermittent....

Would you say this points to the starter motor needing replacing ? Hopefully a simple job for a mechanic (I would probably break something if I tried to swap it out)

2. Vibration at speed..
When accelerating hard, I hit the 60mph zone in 4th and I get vibration in the front wheels.... into 5th and upwards, it settles down to smooth.....
When cruising at say 60mph, I am getting vibration...

I will get the front wheels re-balanced, just in case 1 of the weights has fallen off, but on that note, any of you guys had the same issue ?

3. Water leaking in through Passenger front door....
Noticed a small patch of water in the footwell a few weeks back when it rained all night, but last night, it hammered it down.... There was a mini puddle in the footwell, right in front of the seat slider is a mini ditch/dip , water had collected in there (if you look down from your window button onto the carpet, that dip)....

My guess is the seals have bust somewhere, but where would I look ? and where do I buy seals from to fix the issue ? or is there a poormans version of a fix for this ?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya

Hopefully not DMF, as the receipt is in the book to show the Clutch and DMF was replaced at Halfords in April last year, which is about 23k miles ago..
I got the car last month at 138k miles, it now has 141k miles...
It has Full Ford Service History.

A buckle in the wheel, yeah, I guess that could make sense :( The rear passenger tyre loses PSI in like 4 days, from 34 down to 18 :(
The front driver side tyre goes from 38psi to 28psi in about 9 days.......
All tyres are Conti's with good tread, so hope I don't have to replace them just yet !

·
Registered
459 Posts
Water leaks from the front doors are pretty common; remove the door card and check for splits in the membrane behind. If the membrane is in good nick, check the sticky black sealant around the edge of the membrane for any gaps.

Wheel wobble at 60-ish sounds like balancing to be, should be a cheap and easy fix.

Air leaking out of the tyres is also quite common, particularly if you have the classic peeling lacquer on the wheels. The lacquer cracks and can allow air to pass through the cracks from one side of the tyre to the other. The proper fix is to get the wheels refurbished, a temporary fix is to get a friendly tyre fitter to run a bead of the sealant they use around the rim. This still may not cure the issue though, it's pot luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply guys :) :) most helpful.
Its an 07 ST, and yes, alloys have the peeling lacquer on all 4 :( around the rim edges too, so i guess that could let the air escape....
I plan on getting the wheels balanced, so i'll ask the garage to take tyre off and apply some rim Block to see if that helps..

As above, cheers for the replies, most grateful..

On a side note, this car is AMAZING!!!!!! Example:
I used to own a Mk2 petrol mondeo (normal one) years back, then went down the Nissan Turbo route back in 2004 (200sx, Skyline).... Still have an R34 now, but Mondeo is used for getting to work (94% motorway)..
However, the Mondeo is like driving a car on Guide Rails! I go round a bend or roundabout real fast, i get no squeal, no slide, just amazing grip, and a pain in my stomach from the G-force!!!
And acceleration too, OMG! its got some poke, leaves my wifes 320d coupe behind!
Am glad i got the ST, great car!

1 more thing, how do i change the clock ?!!! :D :D its 3 mins slow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update....
It hasn't rained heavily for a while, so no leaks on the passenger side! :D :D :D (I know its something I need to tackle though!)
Clock - :D :D :D ;) When its under your nose, its harder to see !! hehe !

Wheels & Vibration...
I just had the Alignment done, and changed the front tyres as the inner parts to both tyres were super worn, as in super f**ked! Rest of the tyre has like 5mm !!

So tyres changed, Alignment done...
But.... Still got Vibration :( When powering through 55 to 70 ish, more noticeable when going up hill, I get the vibes! :(
No idea what it could be,and don't fancy paying a garage £140 to try and figure out why it vibrates....
Could it be like Wheel bearings ? The vibrate comes when under mild to moderate power, I don't really foot floor it....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Did they balance the wheels during alignment, and was it two or four wheel alignment?

The only other vibration I have experienced was when my inner CV joint collapsed, but that was truly catastrophic vibration, not just a bit of wheel wobble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hiya, balanced wheels when tyres were put on...

and I will go with normal front (2) wheel alignment....
I did read that these cars prefer proper full on 4 wheel alignment, but would have thought for a front wheel drive car which doesn't have 4 wheel steer, etc wouldn't need 4 wheel alignment ?

i'll see how it goes, guess I will have to wait to see if anything major happens!
Starter motor seems to be OK at the moment! :D

·
Regular ST poster
1,413 Posts
Check the pollen filter is dry. I would get puddles in the passenger footwell after heavy rain and it was coming in through the pollen filter. I never managed to seal it in the 8 years I owned the car. Get some rubber mats to catch it and keep the carpets dry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starter motor cleared itself up, the leak I can live with......
I had the tracking/Balancing done...... changed front tyres.......

Vibration is doing my head in though, and part of me thinks its DriveShafts ??

I get vibration from 50mph to 6mph, etc, but I can drive out of the vibe getting the rev's up, etc..... very strange :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to the ST family,. I've got this droning front left I've just had all new tyres and suspension done and alignment,. The guys pulled on the wheels to check the bearing CV joints etc. No worries there but when we took it out before and after the work was done the noise is there still. If I drive straight or turn right on cornering it's there but if I corner left it almost seems to go completely. Please help me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys just an update on my situation. I took it to a garage and had the wheels and tyres changed as requested by the garage alignment etc done they found spring damage replaced them noise still there, about £400_500 plus paid out noise still there. After a bit of hassle I remembered my old neighbour was a mechanic before he retired he now does vintage cars for fun, anyway he said leave it with me for an hour I'll have a look. He then finds drivers side drive shaft has play needed replacing and off side front wheel bearing was dry and grinding and there's a bit of play but only in one spot so changed both bearings and drive shafts. For a reasonable price, took the car back to the original garage and told them about what was found and replaced I ended up with half my money back from them as they said they should have checked better, so a win for me and the noise is gone thankfully 😀

1 - 15 of 15 Posts