Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
STdriver
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Cant find much on this on the net or in the Haynes manual, has anyone replaced the rubber brake hoses them selves or do I need to take my car to a garage to do this?

Garage want £150 + VAT to fit them with my Hel kit they say its going to take 3 hours to do?

Not sure this is correct or not?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It can be done yourself £150 is a bit high and it shouldn't take a good mechanic 3 hours I haven't got a Haynes but I'm sure someone said it had it in there I done mine on my 306 but not sure of the mondy will be different as I've never looked into it

·
STdriver
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I got myself some brake spanners as advised in the Haynes manual. Just says use the correct spanner to avoid slipping or kinking the copper pipes.

No other articles around from what I could see so was a bit worried

·
Motorman116
2,249 Posts
I done my Mondeo st when I had it, it took about 15 mins per corner, then about 20 - 30 mins to do a full brake fluid change, then just the time to refit the wheels

·
Motorman116
2,249 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

I got myself some brake spanners as advised in the Haynes manual. Just says use the correct spanner to avoid slipping or kinking the copper pipes.

No other articles around from what I could see so was a bit worried
If your going to do them yourself then I did them this way, may make it easier for you.....

Remove the wheels
Clamp the flexi brake hose on the corner that your working on, loosen the brake pipe union the goes into the caliper. then remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the sliders, then you can just undo the caliper from the hose by spinning the caliper, then fit the new hose to the caliper and tighten the union and refit the caliper.
Now crack the brake pipe from the brake hose, and remove the securing clip, the undo the brake pipe then remove the flexi and fit your new brake hose. doing it this way just means that you wont loose much brake fluid, then do the same for the other side...

You can do the same for the rears, but you must disconnect the handbrake cables aswell....

Then all that will be required is the system to be blead

·
STdriver
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the reply appreciated. Planning to do it on the weekend if it isn't lashing it down

I have 3 litres of Dord Super Dot 4 fluid so can give it a good flush as well,

Thanks for your help

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Hi

Not being rude here but first rule with brakes is, only work on them if you have necessary competence.

For normal road, use over thousands of miles would suggest a new set of Ford Hoses would be superior choice to Braided Hoses.

If you go down the route of Braided Hoses, ensure they are approved for Road use and not just Off-Road applications.

Peter

·
STdriver
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Peter for the advice I do know the rules while working any mechanical component especially brakes. My question was for am I overlooking something in the steps to change them, I will be fine thanks.
Thanks again motorman for you advice as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts