Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have just had car serviced (220), 1st one and everything fine (except) tyres. 12000 miles and all four need replacing, they reckon under inflated. i think its a soft compound. i am not sure what to go for now. Michelin pilots, Goodyear F1s or yokahamas. what do you think and have you any personal prefrences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Odd that your rears need changing so soon !!!!
underinflated so the edges of the tyres are worn?
If only worn on one edge of each tyre get the tracking checked.
On my 24, i always use Falken FK-451 (not ZE-512 crap), excellent grip, wear quite well (16,000mls front, >40,000mls rear), look pretty cool and a good price.
I found pilots OK but very expensive, but there again lasted longer, about same mile/?.
Yokohama tend to be a soft compound, i have both AVS Sport and A520 on my cossie, brilliant grip. Tested on road and track days.
AVS Sport would be my next choice for the Mondeo but running to many cars costs me too much anyway and they arn't cheap, but bloody good.

Hope this is some food for thought.
cheers

·
stranger
1 Posts
A good website for cheap tyres and their fitters is www.blackcircles.co.uk

They have loads of choices in there and are very competitive in my experience. They have loads of local fitters too where they send your tyres to for you to get them fitted.

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
I got a good qoute from my local tyre place of ?120 each for Pirelli Pzero Rosso's which are quite highly rated and have a good wear rate

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm on my seond pair of F1's on the front of the 200 the rears will do around another couple of thousand, the new one I had put on the front are the g3 trea pattern (the older one) I have never had any trouble with F1's and got 25k out of the fronts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, had a quote for F1 gsd ?115 fitted each have heard a lot of good things about them, i think ill give them a go, thanks for helping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had all tracking carried out after lowering and reset geometry was okay and that was by local ford dealer, had it checked by them so warrenty was still valid.

·
stranger
15 Posts
My Continental tyres only laste 10,000 miles on the front, they are well know for not lasting very long

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have changed all tyres now to goodyear and they are much quieter on the road. when i took the car to independant tyre company they checked all tyres and tracking again all 4 wheels and found that 1 of the rears had 2 screws in it, this is why it was under pressure, they reckon both rears good for another 6000 miles, fronts were well worn, i have kept the old ones incase i can pick up spare alloy, but not sure if it will fit in wheel well, if not will sell tyres.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know if the ST220 needs high load index tyres? I'm sure I read it somewhere but couldn't find it again.
I had Avon ZZ1's on the front of mine and they were totally destroyed on the inside in less than 10000 miles (I think, they were on it when I bought the car). Replace with Goodyear f1's, hope they last longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when i bought the f1's they said about high speed rating and did not mention high load, sorry m8, all i know is that these f1's feel much better and a lot quieter on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts