Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi last week I purchased a 55 plate ST Tdci and having never owned a ford before I was looking for some answers to a couple of simple questions.
Firstly, how responsive is the acceleration supposed to be in the lower rev range because mine never seems to be in a hurry to accelerate below 3k revs. Is this normal or is there an underlying issue?
Secondly I have looked into decatting and remapping it. Will the decat pipe bring the eml light on or cause any issues?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Getting better
1,122 Posts
Maybe you have a split boost pipe or something. It should really be pulling hard from just below 1800rpm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did think that would be a possibility. Is there anywhere to look first or anywhere they are prone to splitting?

·
Regular ST poster
1,677 Posts
Decat won't bring on the EML. However, there are changes to the regs (see the other thread about decat and DPF and MOTs)

I'm not too worried about putting a cat back in mine.......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will check there at the weekend. Would a boost leak cause loss in mpg's too?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome Mevs, I'm new too. This is my first diesel car and after 2 mechanics saying to me that it's a time bomb I'm getting a little worried but so far I love it and my car OCD is well rubbing off on this car, which is meant to be a cheap daily runner. This forum has been very helpful to me.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hello and welcome to st drivers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Mevs, I'm new too. This is my first diesel car and after 2 mechanics saying to me that it's a time bomb I'm getting a little worried but so far I love it and my car OCD is well rubbing off on this car, which is meant to be a cheap daily runner. This forum has been very helpful to me.
Why did the mechanics think it was a time bomb? Ive heard they are very reliable (at least I hope).

That may explain why I am down to 34mpg during "normal" driving, but cant say I have a sooty back end lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
34mpg in cold weather is perfectly reasonable, I'm down to 31mpg at present. The problem with reliability is you only ever hear the bad things, nobody goes on a forum to say how reliable their car is!

·
Registered
78 Posts
They said they are good cars apart from the engine. I already think my crank pulley is making a noise so looks like I may be in for one of them. I'm getting the car serviced and fully checked over on Saturday so if does need doing I will be making use of my warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got around to recording my possible acceleration problems if you guys could check them out and tell me if it seems normal or slow I would appreciate it.

In both runs my foot was flat to the floor

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Looks ok to me! I will say one thing though, no point taking it the red line cos it's all out of steam by 3500! These engines are torquey, not revvy, so earlier changes lower down the revs and let the turbo do it's job.

·
NEIL
6,177 Posts
^^^^^ what he said ... Prob why ur mpg is so low ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for looking. I have been driving a small engined petrol 3 series for the last 3 years so the only option was to take it to the red line so it will take some getting used to lol

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You're taking it to the redline, so when you change the revs drop to 3k, which is almost the end of the torque band. Change up about 3.5k and it'll immediately feel quicker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts