Ford ST/RS Forum banner

Mondeo 2.2 Tit X Sport - Miss Fire

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ToMBoY_C 
#1 ·
Hi,
Im fairly new to this site so bear with me.

Iv recently bought an 09 Plate Mondeo Mk4 2.2 TDCI Tit X Sport, "Mouth full i know".
Everything is fine apart from when driving to work in rush hour traffic doing about 30mph in third gear around 1350rpm the engine miss fires and judders the car, does any of you guys have any ideas as i took it to the local stealers round ours and they wanted £60 just to plug it in to the machine to have a look at it. And i thought id be covered as i still have 3mnths manufacturer warranty on it, lol guess again!!!!!

Thanks in advance guys.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply Ginger Tom but i realy dont think im labouring the engine, I tried this morning, in 2nd gear this time holding it around 1350rpm and it miss-fired (just the once) again. This time i deffinatly was not labouring the engine.
Any more ideas??
Its on 36K miles so is coming up to Major Service time, could this be whats causing it??

Cheers

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
With respect you are labouring the engine. You will get away with it in 2nd because it's a lower gear so the engine doesn't have to try so hard. On a light throttle it is possible to pull along at about 1250rpm in 2nd but this doesn't mean it's good practise.

Try the same revs in 4th or 5th and it simply won't have it. You should avoid driving the car at under 1500rpm (apart from starting off obviously) to avoid damaging the DMF.

It's up to you but I can only advise you on how this engine is. Sadly it's not very flexible especially around town but is great on the open road. You just need to get used to changing down when the revs start to drop under 1500rpm. 30mph is the minimum speed for 3rd gear

EDIT I should add that I know what you mean about a 'cough'. I get it with mine sometimes at the lower revs and I don't know if it's the EGR or not. If it happened at 1500 or above I would be concerned but it just doesn't seem to like very low revs.

#5 ·
Thank very much for your advice GT much appreciated. Gotta try and change my driving style, this is possibley why my DMF failed around 70K on my old MK3 Zetec S Mondy.
I gotta admit other than this iv had no other issues with the car, over all seems to be a top car.

Thanks again.

#7 ·
IIRC it is a problem with the air filter causing the MAF to produce a incorrect reading hence the hesitation. It is a known issue. Try Ford.

#8 ·
On Sunday we went out with 2 of us in the car and a few times when pulling away at 1500rpm I got hesitation. Odd thing is it doesn't seem to happen when it's only me in the car. Now I don't want to suggest her weight but......................
Car has just been serviced with new filters etc so would this be down to software?

#9 ·
Could need a PCM update. Could also be the issue with the filter as I mentioned above

Maybe it's because you are accelerating gentler with the mrs on board hence noticing the hesitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.