Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Hi

A few of you may remember a modification by L11XXY where he grafted a pair of Focus mirrors with integral indicators onto his Mondeo. Fully detailed in the following write-up: http://www.fordwiki....ers_-_Retro_Fit

I have so far collected the parts quite cheaply for one side to try a variation of this modification. Starting with a Mondeo mirror then introducing the Focus Indicator Lens along with the Puddle Lights already fitted into the later Power Fold Mirrors.

The photographs show where I have cut into the body of a Mondeo mirror, carefully trimming the minimum away until the Indicator fits into place. I have then trimmed the outer cover to fit over the top.

Photos below show trial fit. Cover just needs a little work and will be ready to paint. I then need to modify wiring along the same lines as in L11XXY write-up and mirror will be ready to fit.

All I then need to do is find the parts for the other side.

Peter

Attachments

·
Scottish Meet Organiser
7,937 Posts
Looks very tidy mate

I can't see point unless your planning on "deleting" the wing indicators..... Or like the Xmas tree/HGV/ 1 million lights look?

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks very tidy mate

I can't see point unless your planning on "deleting" the wing indicators..... Or like the Xmas tree/HGV/ 1 million lights look?
Hi

With some drivers being half asleep perhaps the more lights the better.

As point of note for anyone thinking of doing a similar mod. Comparing pictures of the Focus front cover shaped to fit with indicators with the Mondeo cover. The securing clips are in different positions so prevents a straight substitution.

Peter

·
Post Whore
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Having found passenger side door mirror knocked off its mounting by some considerate person I thought I would take opportunity to finish this modification. Although no obvious damage on outside of mirror casing, mirror had either been pulled up or down with sufficient force to pull 3 screws that hold pivot motor to car mount free. Ripping threads out of housing to prevent easy re-attachment.

I had finally collected and modified all parts to complete the second mirror so proceeded with painting covers and assembling both mirrors ready to fit on car.

Having obtained and dismantled spare door and mirror looms from local breakers along with plug from door post with attached wires from inside car it was relatively easy to add extra wire to each mirror from indicator to plug, then with door cards removed fit mirror to car in place of originals. I was able to feed an additional wire through door loom and into master plug at doorpost.

I only needed one feed wire as I connected indicator earth to earth terminal on heated element on back of mirror glass.

Hardest part of operation for me was getting access to back of plug inside car as space is rather tight, finally found by making a small cut in sound proofing I was able to pull plug far enough into car and feed extra connector into back of plug. Note to push these connectors into place I had to push inner plug cover slightly out of position. This allows room for connector to slip into place, cover then clips back into position to clamp all connectors in place.

Using info off cordlike, this original guide by L11XXY http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Wing_Mirror_Side_Repeters_-_Retro_Fit I connected feed wires onto relevant terminals on the plugs feeding the GEM unit.

Only tasks left to complete modification was to check operation of mirrors, folding motors, puddle lights and indicators then refit, glove box, drivers side covers and door cards. Step back and admire work, JOB DONE.

As an aside, when refitting lower shroud beneath steering wheel, there is a small fan clipped inside housing which I believe is pulling air over a temperature sensor for A/C system. This fan was completely clogged with dust. And would have been providing incorrect readings. I obviously gave unit a good clean before refitting.

Peter

Attachments

·
Stamping my carbon footprint!
525 Posts
I like that, it looks very OEM :)

I also found the same climate control sensor was clogged with dust when I was investigating my failed brake pedal grommet in the bulkhead, I think the system seems more accurate since I cleaned it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts