Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Last week I bought a 2005 ST220 with 140k miles. The car is not in pristine condition and was used daily but my plan is to get it back to its original shape, it is basically a project car.

I did an engine service which included oil change, filters (oil, air, petrol, cabin), spark plugs, coolant flush (including a few hoses), brake bleed, servo oil change, and intake manifold cleaning. Car drives and feels really tight. No weird engine noises, clutch is very good, suspension is excellent (previous owner fitted 4 Monroe shocks).

Symptom #1: I noticed the radiator fan was turning on very often although the temp gauge is always sitting between 60 and 90 (1/4) when the car is running for a long time. Ambient temps here currently are 10C/50F,

I attached an OBD adapter and from what I can see, temps are hovering around 95 and 105C when the car is idle or moving slowly. The fans actually kick in at around 103-105 and the temp then falls to 95. At highway speeds temps are around 93-98 if I floor it while downhill drops to 88-9. In all instances, temp gauge is sitting at ~75-80.

Is this something has to do with bad thermostat or a faulty gauge?

Symptom #2: I believe car does not have enough power, especially above 4K RPM when full load (in neutral it revs freely up to redline).

I did measured 0-100kph at 9.5 and 10.00 seconds (car launch at 3k rpm), and did measured 80-120 at 6.8s in 3rd. I am struggling to reach 200kph on a flat highway.

Error codes from OBD were P0420 and P0430 - Catalyst System Efficency Below Threshold (Bank 1,2) and on ocassions, Lean and Rich errors from the sensors...

Could it be a clogged catalyst (explains the high engine temps and power loss), faulty sensors or both? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone interested.. I have observed the following:

Error Codes P0171 - P0174 System Lean

Fuel trim at idle:
Bank 1 Long Term: 9.38%
Bank 2 Long Term: 12.5%
Bank 1 Short Term: 14%
Bank 2 Short Term: 14.06%
Engine Coolant Temp: 100C

Fuel trim under small load / city driving falls near 0-5%

May be a vacuum leak.
Car is running on LPG.
95 Octane / LPG - no difference in engine behaviour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For anyone interested.. I have observed the following:

Error Codes P0171 - P0174 System Lean

Fuel trim at idle:
Bank 1 Long Term: 9.38%
Bank 2 Long Term: 12.5%
Bank 1 Short Term: 14%
Bank 2 Short Term: 14.06%
Engine Coolant Temp: 100C

Fuel trim under small load / city driving falls near 0-5%

May be a vacuum leak.
Car is running on LPG.
95 Octane / LPG - no difference in engine behaviour.
I had the same problem for the longest time. It turned out to be a stuck open PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve that's buried right in the bottom of the v of the engine underneath the upper and lower inlet manifolds and fuel injector rail. Tell tale sign is oil in the vacuum pipe that goes to the inlet manifold( rear right as you look from the front of the car)

So it's sucking in un-metered air/oil into the inlet manifold after the MAF which leans off the mixture which is then read by the o2 sensors as lean so the ECU adds more fuel to compensate hence the increase in fuel trims. That's also a reason why its showing both banks and not just one bank. Mine was a lot worse than yours with long term trims of 20-25 but after changing the valve it's down to below 10. Best if luck with it.

Edit. Don't bother contacting frauds because they didn't have a clue what a pcv valve was. If you want to order one use ebay. I searched for ages and could only find them in the USA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@lowey71 Thanks a lot mate. I've checked the famous hose for splits and didn't find any, but definitely there was some oil residue inside the pipe. My fuel trims are now off the charts, but car is still perfectly driveable, except slight loss of power. I am ordering this right away and give it a try!

This is under load:

Product Font Computer keyboard Line Gauge

This is idle:

Product Black Speedometer Gauge Font

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just ordered one right away, thanks for the tip, I hope this solves the issue.
The increase in trims might be because I'm guessing you took the manifold off to clean it and could have damaged the gasket or just broken the seal. Maybe best to order the upper and lower manifold gaskets while you have it in bits. I got the original ones from ford as I didn't trust the aftermarket ebay ones. It is possible to change the pcv valve without taking it to pieces as it's undone with a 90 degree unscrew but it's a right pain as there's a big fat water pipe in the way.

Once you've got them changed it's best to reset the adaptive fuel learning. On the diagnostic tablet I used it was called KAM (keep alive memory) Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick Update:

@lowey71 Thank you for the tip about the PCV valve. Obviously this was stuck.

We also replaced the water pump, thermostat (stucked closed) and coolant temperature sensor.

I still haven't tested the car as it still in pieces, and I am waiting for it to be repainted. Picking it up next week and something tells me it is going to drive really smooth :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts