Ford ST/RS Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Learner STdriver
37 Posts
I am joining the group too!
I cleaned my EGR 4 or so months ago and when I took it for a test drive the glow plug light flashed and it dropped it into limp mode (this was after driving at a constant high speed on the motorway) I stopped, turned it off and it was fine. It didn't happen after that.
A few days ago the light came on again so I took the EGR off again and cleaned it. This hasn't solved the problem and keeps coming on dropping it into limp mode.
I have noticed a few things. The light comes on when it starts to warm up. Around 10 minutes when stone cold. When it's warm it's around 3-4 minutes after restarting the car. Also it seems to come on when I keep the car at constant revs.
It's going to a garage on Monday to be put on the fault code reader so will hopefully get an answer. Could it be injectors? How would I know if it was?

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Flashing again. These cars are a joke.

·
NEIL
6,177 Posts
Cleaning doesn't always work ...
It's time 4a new 1 I'd say .....

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It had one just under a year ago! Unplugged it and it goes like a dream much better than when it was working properly. Going to just leave it like that and ignore the eml when it decides to come on.

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just had a look through my emails and noticed that the EGR I have is under a year old, just, its around 11 months old now.

Sent Jaguar Newcastle a email as their ebay page is where I got it from. Lets see if they will honour the 12 month warranty. I noticed that on their new listings they say warranty only applies if fitted to a Jaguar.

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just had a look through my emails and noticed that the EGR I have is under a year old, just, its around 11 months old now.

Sent Jaguar Newcastle a email as their ebay page is where I got it from. Lets see if they will honour the 12 month warranty. I noticed that on their new listings they say warranty only applies if fitted to a Jaguar.
Jaguar Newcastle replaced the valve for me FOC without any hassle!

Fantastic service. Highly reccomended!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Interested into what peoples opinions are. Had the flashing glowplug light the other night. Didn't really feel as if anything was wrong with the car just the light flashing. Re-start and the light went out.

Now I'm worried as to what the problem was. There are no fault codes stored. I had the EGR off yesterday and it wasn't too dirty, had a 2009 date stamped on it so must have been replaced fairly recently (I purchased the car in April 2010 and the car has done 15,000 miles since I've had it).

Would you keep it or sell it, quickly? It hasn't come on since and I've done approx 400 miles, does the flashing sometimes happen as some sort of computer glitch? The car is not smokey when driven hard or at startup and it starts fine, none of the low idle speed problems you usually get with injectors.
The EGR was replaced on my mondeo just over a year before i bought the car and as soon as i got it home it started playing up. I also took it apart and looks perfect inside it but still gave error codes.

Replaced it with a jag one and its been fine for past 10k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, recently my mondeo has started to have flashing glow plug and loosing power. I've had it checked for faults and none have come up. Sometimes if you turn off and start again it goes off ,but other times even to leave to cool down for 20 mins it doesn't correct it self. Recently changed oil filter and oil to no avail. Also alarm sometimes flashes when you unlock , but no sound ,and others it doesn't flash at all when you unlock it . Fob doesn't work so all done by key ... any suggestions would be greatly received.

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
Hi, recently my mondeo has started to have flashing glow plug and loosing power. I've had it checked for faults and none have come up. Sometimes if you turn off and start again it goes off ,but other times even to leave to cool down for 20 mins it doesn't correct it self. Recently changed oil filter and oil to no avail. Also alarm sometimes flashes when you unlock , but no sound ,and others it doesn't flash at all when you unlock it . Fob doesn't work so all done by key ... any suggestions would be greatly received.
A common problem which causes the light to come on, and no power, is the turbo vanes sticking. The first thing to check is that the actuator arm is moving freely. You'll need to remove the heatshield which is in the middle at the back of the top of the engine. In the picture below is arrowed the actuator arm.
You'll need to carefully prise out the circlip to release the arm. If it moves freely, it's OK. If it is stiff and/or squeaky, follow the instructions in the linked YouTube video where he details how to drill into the rear of the turbo to fit a removable bolt. This will allow you to squirt oven cleaner right onto the vanes to free them. If you do it, you don't want to muck it up, so if you don't trust your ability get a trusted mechanic to do it. I've done it, and squirt Mr Muscle in every few months and it's been fine. To drill the hole etc. takes maybe an hour or so, to squirt cleaner in takes about 30 minutes including removing and replacing the heat shield. Good luck!

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
If it's not that it could be the EGR valve has given up. Incidentally, the turbo vane issue will generate fault codes pointing towards the EGR, but it can be a red herring.

·
Getting better
1,125 Posts
One last thing - the factory alarm makes no sound at all, so you must have something aftermarket.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts