Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Interested into what peoples opinions are. Had the flashing glowplug light the other night. Didn't really feel as if anything was wrong with the car just the light flashing. Re-start and the light went out.

Now I'm worried as to what the problem was. There are no fault codes stored. I had the EGR off yesterday and it wasn't too dirty, had a 2009 date stamped on it so must have been replaced fairly recently (I purchased the car in April 2010 and the car has done 15,000 miles since I've had it).

Would you keep it or sell it, quickly? It hasn't come on since and I've done approx 400 miles, does the flashing sometimes happen as some sort of computer glitch? The car is not smokey when driven hard or at startup and it starts fine, none of the low idle speed problems you usually get with injectors.

·
Streetkat !
13,522 Posts
It could be a false alarm or an early warning. The car is covered in sensors monitoring many times per second to tight parameters so it's easy to get a false reading. It could easily be EGR again. They can look clean but there could be another problem with it like the motor/gears etc.

If it was major you would have had running problems so I wouldn't panic just yet and also you have to ask yourself what the cost of replacing the car will be against repairing whatever it is that may go wrong. Could be a false economy so wait and see what happens if anything ever does.

·
Steveski
481 Posts
Did the car run with restricted power before you restarted it? If so it could be the EGR but there are other faults to consider. With my car it turned out the fuel pump was faulty at certain revs which tripped the glowplug light.

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Did the car run with restricted power before you restarted it? If so it could be the EGR but there are other faults to consider. With my car it turned out the fuel pump was faulty at certain revs which tripped the glowplug light.
Unsure tbh, 90% sure it didn't make any difference to the engine. My instant reaction was to just restart it so it was only flashing for about 5 seconds...didn't even stop the car to restart
Bit daft really but I couldn't beleive after all the waiting for it to start flashing it actually was and hoped it would go out with a restart which it did

Next time I won't react so quickly and see how the car responds, if there is a next time. EGR faults don't bother me, they are not very expensive. Fuel pump faults do.

Just purchased a code reader plugin for my laptop so if there is a next time I'll get that on it right away and hopefully it will show a code / maybe the car has stored the code from the other night but I doubt it.

·
Learner STdriver
5 Posts
Hi, I've been down this road too and it really got me down.

I went through the process as everyone else, cleaning EGR, cleaning injectors, eventually just to rule it out I replaced the EGR but the car still faulted. My final throw of the dice was to get the car serviced and the mechanic found the fuel filter to be "minging", you could almost see grit in the fuel. He replaced the fuel filter and "touch wood" the car has been fine for the last 5 months.

I know everyones circumstances are different but thought it was worth sharing.

Best of luck,

Hodgy

·
Regular ST poster
3,502 Posts
Turned out to be the egr valve. Started hesitating on acceleration with tons of smoke. Unplugged egr and it is fine again apart from eml light on. Ordered one off jaguar newcastle on eBay. Tempted to just leave the old unit on just disconnected tbh.

The rate these things fail is an absolute disgrace.

I replaced the fuel filter today too hopefully to further prevent any future issues. £42 from ford, maybe I should have got one of those from jaguar too.

·
Trundling along
183 Posts
Just had a look on Jag parts £19 + vat don't think it's the same though
You can't see the connectors on the top,I'll have to pop in to my local Jag dealer

·
Regular ST poster
1,413 Posts
£42!!! Last one I bought from Ford cost £21, that was about 6 months ago. They did give me a good discount though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MIne is a 2006 ST TDCi on 70k miles. Away on holiday last week I filled up and within 10 miles while overtaking a tractor the glow plug light started flashing. Pulled over and switched off. Restarted no problem. Drove anothe few miles and again overtaking the same thing happened.
No problems from there on another 50 miles.
Next day, after 30 miles of brisk driving, overtook a lorry, light started flashing and as I pulled over the engine cut out. So turned off, restarted and its never done it since, desoite driving over 400 miles including motorways. No sign of power loss. However I have avoided revving beyond 3500 or sudden wide open throttle.

Any suggestions - local garage has suggested EGR or turbo.

·
Warrior
4,400 Posts
Although the main bore of the egr valve can look relatively clean, it is the moving part of the valve which must get clogged with carbon and prevents it from moving to open and close properly. I had intermittent starting problems and when I took my egr valve off there was not even 0.5mm of carbon around the main internal bore, but I guessed the valve was sticking, I replaced egr and had no problems since.

·
Learner STdriver
18 Posts
EGR valve would be my guess, i have had 2 go on my 06 ST TDCI covered 70k now.

It is a common fault, why else would for give you £30 for returning your old part???

on the second one i had replaced it didnt look too dirty, tried cleaning it with egr cleaner, but low and behold it was the sticking egr valve. replaced it and it has been fine since

dave

·
Regular ST poster
1,677 Posts
Get one from jag for a £100 quid instead of Fraud at £250+ quid!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Interested into what peoples opinions are. Had the flashing glowplug light the other night. Didn't really feel as if anything was wrong with the car just the light flashing. Re-start and the light went out.

Now I'm worried as to what the problem was. There are no fault codes stored. I had the EGR off yesterday and it wasn't too dirty, had a 2009 date stamped on it so must have been replaced fairly recently (I purchased the car in April 2010 and the car has done 15,000 miles since I've had it).

Would you keep it or sell it, quickly? It hasn't come on since and I've done approx 400 miles, does the flashing sometimes happen as some sort of computer glitch? The car is not smokey when driven hard or at startup and it starts fine, none of the low idle speed problems you usually get with injectors.
i had this problem a while back, turned out to be EGR valve but no codes where stored on mine either, when i turned the ignition on and the glow plug light flashed the engine would not start so when i turned the ignition on and off usualy about 3 times, there would be no flashing glowplug light and would start ok, i bought the jag one and its been fine since

·
Learner STdriver
22 Posts
MIne is a 2006 ST TDCi on 70k miles. Away on holiday last week I filled up and within 10 miles while overtaking a tractor the glow plug light started flashing. Pulled over and switched off. Restarted no problem. Drove anothe few miles and again overtaking the same thing happened.
Next day, after 30 miles of brisk driving, overtook a lorry, light started flashing and as I pulled over the engine cut out. So turned off, restarted and its never done it since, desoite driving over 400 miles including motorways. No sign of power loss. However I have avoided revving beyond 3500 or sudden wide open throttle.

It could be EGR...but it could also be a lot of other things too.

One thing to note is it first failed after filling up. i.e. your car had been running, had got hot, then was left on a forecourt for 5 mins to really get a good bit of heat soaking through the various electrical and mechanical components. That's always a good way to show up things that are on the verge of failing.

I had a similar issue with mine and it was due to dry joints in the turbo actuator, this shows up as a P138A fault code if you can get it to a garage to have them read. It was very intermittent to start with, then got more regular on hot days/when I had parked up for 10 mins, then after a few weeks became a hard fault and wouldn't fix itself once cooled down. A couple of hundred quid for an actuator repair (ouch ! but better than new turbo) and it's been fine ever since.

Your best bet is to get it to a garage and have the fault codes read, it's £20 or so from an independant garage, and it is well worth it to be sure of the cause before you start replacing things that are actually OK.

·
Just passed!
69 Posts

rds, that really does sound like the fuel filter. Mine had exactly the same symptoms. Got it changed 10 months ago, hasn't done it since (Touch wood)

·
Norfolk Dumplin
2,149 Posts
Yup same issue here, would be fine till you really revved it up to overtake. Get the fuel filter changed bud, as the above mentioned

·
Just passed!
142 Posts
Yup same issue here, would be fine till you really revved it up to overtake. Get the fuel filter changed bud, as the above mentioned
mines exactly the same.

glow plug used to always come on, so replaced EGR, now it doesn't come on half as much, and as where it used to come on whenever it felt like it, now it comes on when im ragging it, and put my foot down to over take

dont think it will be fuel filter on mine as I replaced that already!!!

bought a code reader, it also sees no code!

this is doing my head in, can any one shed any light?

·
Just passed!
142 Posts
cheers GT, yeah thats the prob......... i cant get codes out of it

fuel pressure, any easy ways of testing?

thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can I join the club with the flashy glow plug light issue?? Is there any room??

Mine flashed after 2/3 hours of A road driving (admittedly harder than usual but not exactly driving the wheels off it and I never go near 3500). It happened 40miles after filling up, on standard grade and it has only had VPower or BP ultimate in it since I have owned it, could this be a factor? I had it serviced prior to the trip knowing it was going to be a long one; we covered 800miles in two days. The service was all filters and fluids, so unlikely to be the fuel filter as it had only covered 500miles or so. When the light flashed there was no change to power delivery, everything was as normal. Hasn't reoccurred since and I have covered 2000miles +.

Is it just a foregone conclusion now, new EGR?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts