Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, about a month ago I put my car in for an MOT and Int. Service which didn't bring up any problems at all.... Now I’m getting a major issue with the running of the car... Firstly the car started to back off power and kangaroos when driving thinking its worse around 2000revs, the car feels flat i.e. no turbo and has now started to blow black smoke from the exhaust when pulling away sharpish from junctions.... Anyone any ideas if this totally sounds like the turbo is on the way out, possibly an injector or could be down to service garage adding the wrong grade oil.. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers,

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would check that the pipe going into the bottom of the EGR valve hasn't split first, this can give the symptoms you listed.

HTH

Dan

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Mines been running crap recently, glow plug light coming on then no turbo idling horrible and a bit jumping (no black smoke though). So yesterday I unplugged the Egr and it's running sweet as now, the EML has come on now (to be expected) so I'm just gonna get a code reader and reset it weekly now and not bother replacing the Egr. May not work for you but worth a try and as above check the pipes running to the Egr too.

·
Google Expert
904 Posts
I agree, sounds like the EGR, the EGR can stick open, better using a blanking plate, (3+mm- stainless steel) ,(dissconect the pipe/ cable to the EGR as above to test it) you should clean out all the carbon/ muck out of the inlet manifold while you are at it

What did they do at the service? (itemised/ list) sometimes they "cut corners" to save money/ time - miss out changing air filter etc etc

have you fitted a decat?,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
** Cheers guys, spot on - Large split found on the hose from the EGR valve. Replaced with new one £65!!! for a hose but hey a lot cheaper than a new turbo or injectors. Took the EGR valve off and cleaned out as loads of back soot in it - Turbo un real now feels better than before, still getting black smoke lots at first gradually getting better, think this could possibly be it just blowing itself out???

·
Google Expert
904 Posts
The black soot in the EGR valve comes from the EGR valve operating and letting exhaust gasses/ soot in at that point, it also coats the inside of the inlet manifold with this soot, eventually restricting the air and choking the engine, to fix this the inlet manifold needs cleaned out, to prevent this continuously happening you need to block the EGR valve with a blanking plate, this will help the engine run smoother as well

Because it was venting air your engine was running rich and producing more smoke/ soot than normal, a favorite place for this to build up is in the catalitic converter (which can act a bit like a DPF), "booting" it helps to clean it out (round town/ pottering about/ ticking over lets it build up) fitting a decat helps, a blocked/ old air filter makes it run rich/ can restrict it, a new/ clean air filter lets it run leaner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts