Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably not the most technical issue... but then I'm not the most technical person!

Noticed a quiet grinding noise from the nearside rear, when braking at low speeds. I found a score mark around the disc (as per photo).

What is likely to have caused this?

Does this mean new discs and pads?

Presumably discs and pads have to be renewed on both sides at the same time? What about front to rear?

Thank you for any advice!!

Attachments

·
Scottish Meet Organiser
7,937 Posts
Looks like your pads are worn down to the metal

I'd be getting new discs and pads via ebay asap!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmm, I feared that may be the case!

Time to look for upgrade topics! Nothing too fancy (expensive), but would be nice to have some extra bite! Any suggestions?

·
Google Expert
904 Posts
The front and rear brakes may tend to wear out at a different rate so its ok to just do just the fronts or just the rears

The discs look
i would replace both rear discs and all the rear pads at once

from the looks of it it looks like the pads have been worn right down to the metal at some point but only the pads were changed - there is no question that the disc in the picture needs changed & you may as well do both sides and the pads

the car will drive mutch better with new discs/ pads

update - you may have to do front and rears if your going for serious upgrades - the fronts do most of the braking

·
Scottish Meet Organiser
7,937 Posts
Mmmm, I feared that may be the case!

Time to look for upgrade topics! Nothing too fancy (expensive), but would be nice to have some extra bite! Any suggestions?
ASBO's if your rich!!!

Or drilled/grooved discs and decent pads (redstuff maybe!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ASBOs, if only!!

Would uprated pads be OK with the standard discs? Or could they warp them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Set of Mintex pads and discs all round, ordered! Was very tempted by Brembo but £50 more. Hopefully the Mintex will do a good job.

The pads and discs on the car have done 60k without being changed, so not too upset
Just a shame to trash the disc.

·
ST DRIVER
585 Posts
mintex disc`s
and pads all round on mine can`t fault them

Reactions: AlphaMikeHotel

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Mintex will be fine
Much better than the OEM Ford efforts!
Wouldnt agree with that TBH, genuine ford ones have never give me an issue.

Used mintex in the past and after a month or so squeel when braking or when moving slowing in the town they made noise. Fitted genuine and been 100%

I got sick of taking the apart, cleaning and greasing everything up all the time.

Mintex discs also warped very easily.

·
Flat out!
4,984 Posts
I've just gone from OEM Ford pads on my ASBO setup to Mintex. I wouldn't say the Mintex were better. They're fine enough and maybe resist fade a fraction better but I'm aware of pressing the middle pedal harder with them and find that when cold they are a little slow to respond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.