Ford ST/RS Forum banner

Black Eye Headlight Conversion 'step By Step Guide'

13K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  danfe358 
#1 ·
I finally got round to doing my balck eye conversion on my xenon headlights on the st and thought I would take a good few pictures and post a bit of a guide to how I did it. I searched on stdrivers and also looked on fordwiki to see what step by step guides were out there and there are a few but none which seem to have many illustrations so thought I would put this on for anyone considering converting there own halogen/xenon lights.

First step: Remove the headlights from the car which for once Ford has made extremely easy, open the bonnet and first you need to remove the front grill by undoing the two turn clips on top of the grill where it is fixed to the slam panel and then gently the grill will slide towards you out of the retainers located under it ( it may take some tweaking to slide it out taking care not to force it and break any of the hidden clips )
View attachment 18398

Once removed you will be able to access the retaining rods which hold the headlights in place, two each side which will simply pull up and out to free up the light (sometimes you may need to put a bit of oil/wd40 down the rod to raelease it foe easier removal). Once all four are removed the headlights can be carefully slid forwards leaving room behind them to undo the electrcal plug before lifting the units free of the car.
View attachment 18400

Ford have made this nice and simple and should take just a few minutes to have everything off.
View attachment 18396

Step two: Undo the clips and the rubber wether strip where it attaches to the main unit ( the rubber weather strip does not need to be completely removed from the lens section you just need to unclip any parts of it which connect the lens and the rear unit ). Once all clips have been undone you need to heat all around the seam where the lens is attached to the main unit to soften the glue which holds them together. A hair dryer is perfect for the job as it doesn't require extreme heat to soften the glue ( a heat gun would also be fine for the task but with extra care due to the more more intense heat they produce). Starting at the top work all the way round the light with the heat to soften the entire seam then using i large faced flat screw driver or a rounded knife start to gently separate the edge at the top frequently stopping to apply more heat. Work your way along the top edge and down the sides, once they have separated enough to fit the end of the screw driver between the lense and the main unit reapply heat all the way around then gently pull them apart. The glue will be sticky and stringy so take care not to get any on the chrome and bezels and surrounds.
View attachment 18401

Step three: When you have separated both units you need to remove the reflective section which is going to be painted, this is held in by two screws which need to be undone to release it.
The first screw is located in the top left/right of the unit and the second is behind the side light clear lense. Remove the rear cover behind the sidelight bulb and then twist and pull out the side light, then you can use your screw driver to flick the clips on the back of the lens and release it to gain access for the second screw.
View attachment 18402
View attachment 18403
View attachment 18404
View attachment 18405

Once both are undone the reflective section will slide out of its guide towards you and its ready to prep for paint.

Step four: I used a piece of scotch but fine wet flatting paper or very fine sandpaper would be fine, rub over the entire inside of the unit until the finish is dull and has a good key for the paint.
View attachment 18406
View attachment 18407

Once pieces are prepared using a panel wipe or similar clean all the dust and potential grease off them and lay them down on there backs (easiest way to make sure you cover all the ares if there facing up.
The paint I used was satin black and firstly prior to this you need to apply a plastic primer/adhesion promoter (I use UPOL Grip $ which is perfectly adequate for this). One or two coats of the plastic primer (it comes out clear and you don't need to go mad with it just two nice even coats will be fine), takes approx 15-20 mins to dry then on with the black (2-3 coats leaving 10-15 mins between coats).
Leave to dry then it is time to reassemble the lights.

Step five: Prior to reassembly ensure the inside on the lens is cleaned and free of fingerprints or strands of glue. Firstly you need to replace the newly painted piece on each light taking care to line it up correctly in its guide runners and once in secure back with the two screws. Next slot back in the side light bulb and click its lens back in place. Now its time to put back on the main lens, using the hairdryer again heat round both seperate edges to make the glue pliable again and once achieved gently slot the two units back together taking care not to gat any glue on the section you have just painted. Push the units tightly together and then leave to cool and glue to harden back up.
When the glue has gone solid apply a small line of clear silicone all the way around the seem and leave overnight to go off.
View attachment 18408

Finally once the silicone has dried clip back on the rubber weather strip, wipe over the lens and they are ready to refit to your car.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel

The pictures I used were when I did my xenens however the process is exactly the same with standard halogen lights.

Hope this may come in handy as its taken me longer to write this thread than it did to do the lights!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Yeah I assume you just need the matching size bulb but in orange and a clear/smoked lens cover, there really easy and quick to do and its really only the removal of the lens which is the fiddly bit the rest is plain sailing. Good luck with your blackeyes

#11 ·
right peeps i,m doing my black eye conversion on my next break from work ( 5 days time ) so i need to replace the indicator bulbs as i will be throwing away the yellow cover while the glass is out, anyone got a link ebay or something for the correct bulbs i need, I ask coz i dont wanna find myself in a situation where the glass is out and i got the wrong ones lol
Thanks peeps

#15 ·
Right well i,m commited now in doing my blackeyes ! I thought i would look at flicking the clips on the back of the side light lense ( before i have removed the glass ) now the lense is rattling about at the bottom of the headlight as i flicked the clips a little too much and it fell out pmsl so i got no choice now the glass has to come off DoH

#21 ·
just put the lights back on the car, i love it, makes the front end look quite agressive with the contrast to the chrome finish surround on the grille, next job is to spray the grilles black, will take a pic when this poxy rain stops :L

#22 ·
Odd, just checked the lights now its dark just to see what they look like at night, Main lights work, side light dont, I do have LED blue side lights, they were removed during the process as per the guide, Any ideas chaps for when i look in the morning, Rear lights work !

#23 ·
Hi

Remove LED's turn 180degrees and replace.

Peter

Reactions: Scatty Alien
#25 ·
Hi

Some LED's need to be the correct polarity.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.