Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right then people i need to know which is the best kit i can put on my st170 every body says different things please folks tell me witch is the best induction kit for my lovelly blue st170 [color:"blue"] [/color]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend the 57i personnaly..the Typhoon looks good but its over priced compared with the 57i, you'll probable get the same increase in power 2-3bhp max. Thge secret is to put extra cold air feeds in pass the engine where you can get them, ie up from under the bottom grill. Demon tweaks or Halfords sell ducting to do this.

Martin

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've gone for the Typhoon, primarily because it moves the MAF sensor a little further away from the throttle body. Plus you get a very nice mandrel bent pipe, so you can ditch the standard Ford affair.
Same applies regarding extra cold air feeds though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Moving the MAF sensor further away from the throttle body will affect your torque curve slightly as it is taking a differant reading from that of standard, the further you move it away the less acuate the air temp reading and air flow is before the air passes thru the throttle body, so the sensor might read say 10deg where as the acutal temp might be 12deg buy the time its mixed with the fuel, also a turbulance in the air flow is better for mixing air to fuel.....its threory but it works in practise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Er, the MAF only reads the volume of air flowing past it. There is no correction for ambient air temperature.
Regardless of what happens with the air flow past the MAF and TB, it's going to get pretty disturbed once it hits the inlet manifold !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an k&n 57i induction kit on my ST for a couple of months last summer but took it off due to bogging down at low revs caused by heat soak but once the revs increase there is a definate performance gain and it makes a nice growl .At the moment I have a k&n panel filter and the 2.0l auto air deflector but although there is a couple of extra horses with no bogging down I've been considering buying a k&n typhoon because it comes with a heat shield,not sure if it makes much difference but might give it a go.CFM in Florida are very cheap and they also sell an AEM induction kit that might be worth looking at, it puts the filter somewhere down near the front wheel arch which must be good for better cold air flow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the ST170 responds best to just changing the filter, also if you change the air deflector to the one from the automatic air is drawn in from the outside rather from under the bonnet which means its cooler therefore gives more power

·
Registered
9 Posts
fester, you wont go far wrong to fit the Kn 57i kit, its given good gains over power increases against price. The other choice is to fit a kn panel filter. Personally id go with the 57i kit but also think about adding some extra air intakes from the lower grill or under the bonnet.

Cheers Martin

·
Registered
25 Posts
didnthurt said:
the maf definately does measure the air temp as well as the volume, the gizmo i have that plugs into the ecu port and laptop definately shows everything the maff does
What gismo is that then? Where can i get one? Will it work with my ST200?

·
Post Whore
3,601 Posts
didnthurt said:
the maf definately does measure the air temp as well as the volume, the gizmo i have that plugs into the ecu port and laptop definately shows everything the maff does
So why do all Fords that i've seen have an IAT sensor for TEMP and a MAF for flow?? MAF-Manifold Air Flow!! IAT-Inlet Air Temp

·
Post Whore
3,601 Posts
Unless of course Volvo(as this is a Volvo engine??) Has a MAF with inbuilt temp sensor!!

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
if it has a 6 pin conector to the MAF the IAT is built into the MAF

the ST220 has no extra IAT

the duratec HE and V6 from the lastest mondeo (2001> ) have 6 pin MAF's and i believe the focus's fitted with the Duratec HE are too

the earlier mondeo's and focus's with the Zetec lump and Duratec V6 had a 4 or 5 pin MAF and had to have an extra IAT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.