Ford ST/RS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone reading this.
First off I'll say sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but I'm not exactly sure where the best place for my question is? (If I am then please point me in the right direction.)
Right, I'll get down to the question I have about my fathers 2003 Mondeo ST220.

Recently we've been noticing a 'hot' smell coming from the car after using it. It's not what I would say is a particularly strong smell- like hot oil or hot coolant would be for example, but it is noticable when getting out the car after a run.
I've checked all the usual things- brake discs are not overheating or binding, checked for leaks in and under the bonnet but have not found the possible cause.
All seems well whilst driving the car- water temp sits bang in the middle of the gauge and it pulls as it should with no hesitation etc

I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment and a call to Ford has not brought any answers forward so far.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has had this problem or knows any other things I could check to try and find the cause.

Thanks very much,

Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
i had a st220, when i used to get back from a run there was a hot smelly like oil smell, took it to fords and they said it was the rocker cover gasket, changed that aswell as a main crank shaft oil seal and the smell stopped, i used to get a very dusty grubby engine( all over the engine cover and battery cover ect), once i changed the gaskets all was well again

Give em a check, just bear in mind you have a LH and RH rocker cover gaskets, one is easily viewable for oil leaks but other is not, if i remember correctly, i will be corrected if wrong, if it is the seals(either on) they are cheap to buy from ford

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.