St Tdci Hybrid Turbo Installed - Exhausts / Air Intake - Induction (Mondeo ST TDCi and ST220) - STdriveRS

header
header

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

St Tdci Hybrid Turbo Installed

Hybrid turbo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steveski

Steveski

Steveski

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST TDCi

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

Dear all,

Not posted on here since I fitted an Airtec intercooler on my old Mondeo. Well, I've now got a shiny new hybrid turbo fitted to add to the mods on the car........

The turbo was built by Turbo Dynamics in Dorset. The spec is oversize compressor wheel (56mm / GT20), 360 degree thrust bearing and a step gap piston shaft. Fitting is straight forward but not a quick job. I had access to full workshop facilities and the car was on the ramp for the best part of 10 hours! Removing parts off a 15 year old car had to be done carefully!, and there is quite a few parts to remove to get access to the exhaust manifold bolts. The most problem/ time consuming piece was the EGR cooler but as my car is the vacuum operated type EGR I didn't need to fit the cooler back on and I re-worked the pipe work to reconnect the heater motor to thermostat for the coolant.

The car has a stronger pull on acceleration than before and holds boost much better at the top end of the rev range. It's not a massive jump over the original turbo but the car has much better drivability now.

Regards,

Steve.

Mondeo ST TDCI estate with dog guard, divider and full boot liner, what other mods do you want??!!
Well, actually, now have mudflaps.
And now have De-cat!! plus Powerflow custom exhaust system
Finally got ASBO front brakes (thanks Terry!). Bilstein B6 sports dampers and Apex lowered sports springs.
Bigger intercooler - now fitted Airtec intercooler.
K & N panel filter
Blanked off EGR as Euro3 engine. DPH silicone hose kit.

Stage 3 re-map from Top Gear Tuning. Now running a hybrid turbo.

#2 Steveski

Steveski

Steveski

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST TDCi

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

A quick update.........now I've had time to get used to the new turbo, you can tell it makes a difference. The car responds quicker, feels faster and holds boost well. As my last post stated, the drivability of the car is so much better now.

Regards,

Steve.

Mondeo ST TDCI estate with dog guard, divider and full boot liner, what other mods do you want??!!
Well, actually, now have mudflaps.
And now have De-cat!! plus Powerflow custom exhaust system
Finally got ASBO front brakes (thanks Terry!). Bilstein B6 sports dampers and Apex lowered sports springs.
Bigger intercooler - now fitted Airtec intercooler.
K & N panel filter
Blanked off EGR as Euro3 engine. DPH silicone hose kit.

Stage 3 re-map from Top Gear Tuning. Now running a hybrid turbo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users