St Tdci Brakes Will Not Hold Pressure - Mondeo ST TDCi and ST220 Discussion - STdriveRS

header
header

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

St Tdci Brakes Will Not Hold Pressure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Haedfuk

Haedfuk

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST Tdci
  • Name:Stephen

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hey all. I drive a 2006 Mondeo ST 2.2 tdci. I've owned it 4 years and never really had any bother with it at all.
Earlier this year it failed MOT on a rear brake imbalance. The calipers were sticky and the handbrake cables weren't in great condition.
I bought new rear calipers and handbrake cables. Since fitting them I cannot get the brakes bled properly, always sinking.
I've manually bled & pressure bled (1-man job). I thought the master cylinder had reversed a seal so I replaced it and the servo unit, no difference. Handbrake works perfectly tho. When doing an ABS service bleed with ForScan, the OSF actuator was making a loud tinny metallic clicking sound while the other 3 corners were a dull buzz (normal). So I replaced the ABS pump and all sounded good again, brakes bled up fine but quickly began to lose the pedal again. Checked every where for leaks, checked the flexi's, all good.
I parked it up 4 months ago & gave up on it, driving my partners car since then. I've been scratching my head & pickling a lot of people's head's with the issue. I think I might have one last thing to ask for advice on before I give up on it & get rid of it..
I'm now thinking I may have got rear calipers for an estate by mistake. The part number of the current calipers are 4S712552BA/BB & 4S712553BA/BB. As far as I can work out these are in fact for the estate model and the part numbers I should have got are 4S712552AA/AB. They are the same size and shape physically, but would the estate calipers cause the master cylinder/ pedal to have to travel further to apply the brakes causing the brake system to feel & perhaps actually still have air trapped in the lines or calipers and not bleed up correctly. Would this cock-up cause the pedal to require further travel and cause the feeling if air in the lines & constant sinking pedal no matter how much it is bled?
Thanks in advance for any help offered..

#2 Haedfuk

Haedfuk

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST Tdci
  • Name:Stephen

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:26 PM

It was the 'estate calipers' all along. Replaced them with the 100% correct ones and all bled up perfectly 🤗

#3 rickmanchester

rickmanchester

Lancashire Meets Organiser

• Super Moderator
  • 6536 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Focus ST3

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:25 AM

At least you got sorted in the end. If you ever want a brake upgrade on the front, focus ST MK2 callipers bolt straight on and make quite a difference! You will be able to pick a set up in decent condition for around £150-200

Ford Focus ~ 2.5 ST3

Panther Black ~ 3 Doors

Leather Recaro's

Block Mod

Michelin Super Sport Tyres

Bluefin Stage 3+ 305bhp - 350lb/ft

Mongoose Sports Exhaust

RS Clutch

Airtec Intercooler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users