2 replies to this topic

#1 TerrieA

TerrieA

Getting better

• Members
  • 1118 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST TDCI

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

I don't suppose anyone will read this(!), but I'm pleased to announce that, after replacing the clutch, DMF, aux belt and pulleys, replacing the decomposing brake rod boots and finally solving the curious rattle from the rear of the car (wheelbrace rattling on the floor in the boot!), my ST TDCI is now smooth and quiet again! I hadn't realised quite how much those annoying noises had spoiled the driving experience. The rotting brake boot was interesting in that (if you search for ST56's post on fixing it) there was no evidence of the bigger of the two rubber parts having ever been fitted from new. More Ford cost-cutting I guess.
The only other thing which may become a problem is that there's now a high-pitched whistle when it's on full boost, which has only developed after putting turbo cleaner through it. No idea what that's about. Apart from that, it's a joy to drive again, which can't be bad for a twelve year old car.
Machine Silver, Leather/Alcantara Recaros, Xenons, Satnav, Privacy Glass, Adv. voice control. Now with Park Assist - after 2 seconds practise reversing into a wall.. :nono:

#2 STick220

STick220

Stamping my carbon footprint!

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST220 Estate

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

I had the rotting brake boot issue too on my ST220, what a pig of a job to replace it was!

Car; 2005 '55' Ford Mondeo ST220 5 Door Estate in Machine Silver with Recaro Light Flint leather interior.

Extras; Advanced Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone & Voice Control System • Touchscreen DVD Navigation System with 6 Disc CD Changer • Technology Pack (Xenon Headlamps & Privacy Glass) • Rear Seat Audio System • Rear Park Assist.

Modifications; Automatic Central Locking • Powder Coated Wheels.

#3 TerrieA

TerrieA

Getting better

• Members
  • 1118 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST TDCI

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Yep! I thought it would take half an hour doing it the bodge way without removing the pedals. Nearly three hours later..
Of course, over the years as the boot rotted and turned into sticky chocolate sponge, it had been falling all over the floor mat. Which I was kneeling on.
Machine Silver, Leather/Alcantara Recaros, Xenons, Satnav, Privacy Glass, Adv. voice control. Now with Park Assist - after 2 seconds practise reversing into a wall.. :nono:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users