Damaged Or Piece Of Mk 3 Facelift Grill. St Tdci Mondy - Page 2 - Items Wanted - STdriveRS

header
header

Photo

Damaged Or Piece Of Mk 3 Facelift Grill. St Tdci Mondy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#21 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Has to be the correct key mate, although I believe you can take the tumblers out of the bonnet catch so literally any key fits , not a good thing!

All the best

Jon
2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

Just need time to fit halos,DRLs & Cupra splitter , will be remapped soon!

#22 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

Has to be the correct key mate, although I believe you can take the tumblers out of the bonnet catch so literally any key fits , not a good thing!
All the best
Jon

Obviously I am getting a tibbe cut to suit the car lol. That said, making up a new lock with a lock kit is pretty easy, I made up a new lock from scratch when I retrofitted a tailgate key lock. The hard part in that job was drilling out holes in the tailgate the correct shape for the lock body to sit in. Still a shame that Ford didnt fit tailgate locks to facelift motors as it would have saved a job :)

Blocky.
If you get a new tibbe cut get it done at your local Ford dealers. Buy the tibbe for about £3 and they normally cut them for free. Even the 'official' price is under £4. Local key cutters or Timpsons etc will want to rob you of around £15 for the same job.
2 x mk3 Mondeos and a Renault Captur

#23 blocky71

blocky71

Getting better

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:33 AM

Excellent news, I thought a key from a dealer would be extortionate.
PERFORMANCE BLUE 06 MONDEO ST TDCI, FACTORY SAT NAV,REAR PARKING SENSORS,FULL HEATED LEATHER 8 WAY ELECTRIC RECAROS,VOICE ACTIVATED CONTROLS, REAR AUDIO KIT,AUTO WIPERS AND LIGHTS, ST220 FRONT ROLL BAR
AFTERMARKET XENONS WITH HALOS,PAINTED ENGINE BAY COVERS + BADGELESS GRILL,PUMA DECAT STAINLESS EXHAUST
20MM SPACERS ALL ROUND,BREMBO DISCS AND PADS,EIBACH SPRINGS,AIRTEC IC, HYPERTUNE REMAP+EGR DELETE

#24 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

A whole key would be expensive, but you only need a tibbe for this job.
Tibbes are pretty cheap anywhere, but it's the cutting that can be expensive at places like Timpsons etc.

Tibbe:

C42E2D16-9C99-463F-991E-70B8C8834C5C.png

#25 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

Jagojon

Is there any chance you can post up a pic of the key you made.

I'm getting to the stage where I need to make a key for my grill, and although I have a few ideas on what I might do it would still be nice to see what you have done. :)

I had planned to just extend the key with a steel extension that would look like a larger version of a corned beef tin key on the end of he e is ting tibbe, but then I had other ideas. As having a badge less grill will always entail more hassle than just having one key I have been thinking about making a feature of the grill key or making it multi function.

#26 blocky71

blocky71

Getting better

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Yeah shame you can't fit the locks on those frickin jack covers !
PERFORMANCE BLUE 06 MONDEO ST TDCI, FACTORY SAT NAV,REAR PARKING SENSORS,FULL HEATED LEATHER 8 WAY ELECTRIC RECAROS,VOICE ACTIVATED CONTROLS, REAR AUDIO KIT,AUTO WIPERS AND LIGHTS, ST220 FRONT ROLL BAR
AFTERMARKET XENONS WITH HALOS,PAINTED ENGINE BAY COVERS + BADGELESS GRILL,PUMA DECAT STAINLESS EXHAUST
20MM SPACERS ALL ROUND,BREMBO DISCS AND PADS,EIBACH SPRINGS,AIRTEC IC, HYPERTUNE REMAP+EGR DELETE

#27 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hi mate, might have to wait until the new year as I haven't got the car at the moment, left it at work as using something else

All the best

Jon
2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

#28 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi mate, might have to wait until the new year as I haven't got the car at the moment, left it at work as using something else
All the best
Jon

Oh bugger :)
I think I'll end up making at least two keys. I will make one that goes in the Glovevox, and am considering making a Ford branded multitool that has the grill key, torx bits, an Allen key for the locking valve caps and an Allen key for the Ford roof rack fixings.

I've ordered these Ford branded multi tools to adapt:

F4A12F44-BEB5-431E-A733-BB94BA2AA0AF.png

I will also make a simple extended key that I might keep on the car's key ring or my house keys.

#29 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

Yeah shame you can't fit the locks on those frickin jack covers !

I have my jacking point covers secured to the car with wire cable. I used the inner brake cable from a bicycle and used the clamps from electrical terminal blocks to secure the looped cables.

The cables are long enough to get the covers out of the way, but not long enough for the cover to reach the floor. This is useful as jacking point covers out get 'blown' out by water from puddles at high speed.. There is also fibreglass on the rear of the covers which makes them more stiff and thus less likely to come off.

#30 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Will try and pop in work on Monday mate to get you a pic, not sure if I made mine too long as the first attempt was 2 tibbes joined together and wasn't long enough. Mine is functional and not pretty mate ( neither is the extended key!)

merry Christmas

Jon

#31 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

Will try and pop in work on Monday mate to get you a pic, not sure if I made mine too long as the first attempt was 2 tibbes joined together and wasn't long enough. Mine is functional and not pretty mate ( neither is the extended key!)
merry Christmas
Jon

Hopefully a new tibbe should be coming in the post today and I'll probably just crack on and make an extended key.
What I will say is a massive thankyou to you. I had been thinking about making a badge less grill for absolutely ages, and it was only when I saw the results you achieved that I got the motivation to get started, and saw how nice it looks on a black motor.

My grill has now had its last coat of 'extra hard' spray in satin black and is nearly dry.
Grill drying:

8607CAF2-2005-4273-B8C9-AD913D4B452A.jpg

#32 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

Well done mate, depends on what mood I am in whether I like it or not, thinking would look better on a contrasting colour car, I may even paint the centre grey or put my original chrome outer on it.

All the best

Jon

#33 blocky71

blocky71

Getting better

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

I had my last lot of covers " adapted " so that they couldn't be stolen/drop out.
The thieves ripped the whole side skirt off one side just to get the covers and damaged the other skirt tugging the covers off.
Nice job raynkar , looks cracking. I can't wait to get started on mine.

#34 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

I never actually take the covers off anymore, but just enjoyed making up the cable mod
:)

What I've done is to make an extension piece that sits on the saddle of my car jack. It was made from an old OEM Jack and bits of square section steel. It can be placed in position without needing to look at the OEM jacking points.
Once it's in place I pop the Jack under the car and Jack it up onto the extension.

2ab9fb28815d1c62ff39bd1d29ca64b7.jpg

Apologies if you've already seen this extension in another thread :)

#35 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

101_1.jpg

I did say it wasnt pretty, i just wanted to see if i liked the grill before i put any more effort in!!!!

merry christmas

jon

#36 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

This is my first one. I made the key shaft longer than it needs to be so I can shorten it once the grill gets fitted. I made sure that the tibbe blade (covered for security) was in line with the plastic part just like an OEM key.
The tibbe and plastic parts are secured into alloy tube with 1mm drift pins.

CA689E28-6C5A-4774-8985-EB4F08C1AF8E.jpg

#37 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:01 AM

Much prettier job than mine mate

#38 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

I went to fit my grill this afternoon, but encountered a slight probem

The key hole was dead centre of the 'X' sections of mesh so I couldn't get the key in :)
It was quite a surprise as I'd expected there to be no issue with the lock as I'm not the first person to make a badge less grill. Clearly I couldn't move the mesh so I had to change how the lock barrel was positioned. It took quite a lot of thinking apbut but I came up with a good plan in the end. E trick was to move the lock but also keep the 'arm' that attaches to the back f the barrel under as little stress as possible as the arms are a known weak component on the MK3.
It was all pretty funny really as it was just the last thing I'd expected to go wrong. Just to add to the fun it started to rain once I'd removed the bonnet lock barrel to mod it, so I had to work in the rain :)

#39 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Pics:

22662A5C-67A7-4A9A-896A-1F168FBBF9DB.jpg

6524B296-CFCD-4B69-8B09-EDEF14958744.jpg

Blocky.
If you get the same problem with the lock barrel send me a PM and I'll explain a simple way to get round it. It's probably best not to put the details on the forum for all the world to see :)

#40 blocky71

blocky71

Getting better

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

Nice one, will do...
You're a braver man than me , working on the motor in this weather.....
I'm liking the look though mate, I'm putting some headlight brows on mine too.
Cheers Blocky