My Mondeo St220 Estate - Page 2 - Car Diaries - STdriveRS

header
header

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

My Mondeo St220 Estate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#21 clansman

clansman

Getting better

• Members
  • 1479 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

LOL £38 "pricey" I have a quote to supply and fit the complete 3M Adventuresheild for ..................£650 ...............now THAT is pricey that covers bonnet,bumper,lights.wing edges, mirrors and the top of the rear bumper .................so still got the thinking cap on for now :kaffeetrinker_2:

Thanks for the info regarding the condition of the paint etc much appreciated.......so it looks like it does what it says on the tin !!

The Diesel in me
2015 MK 5  Estate in Ruby Red  X pack, winter pack, Adaptive LED's, etc , etc.

Westfield SEiW Sport 2000

2nd ST RETURNED TO EVANS HALSHAW EDINBURGH AS IT WAS A LEMON !!! 
Performance Blue Estate ST
TDCi
Full Recaro leather,heated front seats, Xenon's,Folding mirrors with Puddle lights Sat Nav

#22 STick220

STick220

Stamping my carbon footprint!

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Just a small update as I've been too busy with home renovation work to get anything done on the car, except for washing it!

The MOT was due to expire on the 20th October and it was also a year since it was last serviced. As the car has a full Ford service history with all the invoices to prove it I thought I'd continue this with a Ford dealership service. Luckily the last service that the previous owner had completed was the 75,000 mile major service, along with a brake fluid change and the MOT test.

On Friday it went in for an 87,500 mile standard service and MOT test. I was a bit unsure as to what they would find in the way of defects as I've not had a good check of the car since I bought it in May so I was sweating on a phone call! When the phone call came, it needed...... Nothing! Phew! The only thing they have advised are the front brake discs getting quite thin which in turn caused the front brakes to be slightly imbalanced on the MOT rolling road test, but still within limits. Based on my low annual mileage they were confident that the brakes will last until the next service at least.

I still need to complete the exterior clean up that I started back in August and get some polish onto the paint before the winter weather arrives, so hopefully my next update will be quicker than this one!

Car; 2005 '55' Ford Mondeo ST220 5 Door Estate in Machine Silver with Recaro Light Flint leather interior.

Extras; Advanced Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone & Voice Control System • Touchscreen DVD Navigation System with 6 Disc CD Changer • Technology Pack (Xenon Headlamps & Privacy Glass) • Rear Seat Audio System • Rear Park Assist.

Modifications; Automatic Central Locking • Powder Coated Wheels.

#23 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I had a little spare time over the Christmas break so I decided to fix a problem that’s been bugging me for a while now – the CD changer in the boot has been dead since I bought the car.

I checked it out back in the summer and found it was disconnected and appeared to have been partially dissembled by the previous owner, presumably to retrieve any CDs stuck inside. When I reconnected the changer it was completely dead, it made no clicking noises and didn’t show up on the navigation screen when pressing the CD button.

As a new one from Ford is in excess of £400 I decided to leave it but keep the occasional lookout on eBay and the forum for a second-hand one, although I was a little reluctant to go down the used route as after reading through the forum they do seem to be quite unreliable things – I didn’t want to end up buying another dead one!

Luckily Alex (Fitzynkaz) came to the rescue with a replacement and he even kindly used it in his own car for a few days to make sure it was working for me – he’s a top guy!

So I took off the trim in the boot and removed the defective one ready for replacement.
Posted Image

Then I connected IDS in preparation of programming the replacement unit. I don’t think this was necessary as the changer would already have been programmed to another car at some stage and it worked fine in Fitzy’s car presumably without him programming it, but I thought as I had access to the IDS I would do a proper job – at least if IDS is connected to the car again in the future it won’t show any messages about the CD changer having an incorrect VIN stored.
Posted Image

Next I connected the replacement unit, there isn’t much slack in the cable so it’s best to make sure the connector is the right way around before trying to push it in. I could hear this unit come to life straight away, clicking through the changer magazine.
Posted Image

Next I ran the Programmable Module Installation tool and selected the CDP (CD Player)
Posted Image

Normally these stages would be done before removing the old unit so IDS can inhale and exhale the relevant information from the old unit into the new one, but as the old one was completely dead (IDS didn’t recognise it as an installed unit) it doesn’t make any difference as the VIN would have to be manually confirmed, and there are no parameters to be configured on the CD changer anyway!
Posted Image

A press of the CD button on the navigation screen now showed the changer as an option as opposed to just the single disc in the head unit, so I refitted the trim in the boot and popped some discs into the magazine.
Posted Image

Finally, six discs were listed on the navigation screen and disc one began to play. Happy Days!
Posted Image

Car; 2005 '55' Ford Mondeo ST220 5 Door Estate in Machine Silver with Recaro Light Flint leather interior.

Extras; Advanced Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone & Voice Control System • Touchscreen DVD Navigation System with 6 Disc CD Changer • Technology Pack (Xenon Headlamps & Privacy Glass) • Rear Seat Audio System • Rear Park Assist.

#24 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Time for a long overdue if rather boring update!

Ever since I got the car it’s always seemed to ‘bog down’ when spinning over, although it’s always started ok.  Over the last few weeks I noticed it getting worse until a few days ago when I jumped in it and was met with just a ‘click’ when turning the key!

A quick jump start and all was well, it spun over better on the booster pack than it did usually!  I left the engine running with the key locked inside while I was in the field with the dogs.

The charge rate has tested up as good but the battery has a bad cell so it's time for a new one.  A new 650CCA, 71AH Motorcraft battery with a three year warranty is over £100 from Ford, a touch expensive just to have a blue oval on a battery (which is hidden under a cover anyway!) I thought.  After hitting the internet I found a 750CCA, 74AH Varta battery with a five year warranty for about £67 delivered from a place called Tayna.co.uk, it’s the most powerful battery that I could find at a reasonable cost; I wanted a bit of extra capacity in view of the amount of short runs the car does.

So anyway, a couple of pictures:

The battery was really well packed, surrounded by egg boxes!  The delivery was next day too; I recommend the service from Tayna Batteries.

aa36524b-303a-4ddf-a6e3-3ca8603a855f_zps

The last few seconds of the old one in its place.  How much grease on the terminals?!  Going by the date code it’s the original battery so I can’t complain of it dying really, it nearly made it to eight years!  Looking at two of the caps there’s a sign that it’s been charging hard too.

IMG_0647_zps36f11a19.jpg

The shiny new Varta Battery in place after a good clean of the terminals and the bracket, just a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the terminals now.  I also cleaned all the crud from the battery tray with a vacuum cleaner whilst I was at it, I’m sure the neighbours must think I’m nuts hovering under the bonnet lol.

IMG_0648_zps295f2548.jpg

So with the new battery in place there is no more bogging down when spinning over, it starts quicker than ever now.  I entered the radio code and reset the electric windows then all that was left was to take it for a drive so the PCM could re-learn, I don’t know if it does any good but it was fun using full throttle a few times just to be sure.  Job done!

I think one of my next jobs will be to clean it up under the bonnet; it’s really bogging under there!

#25 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Just a couple of running repairs done over the last couple of weeks, no pictures as I took the lazy option and got the dealer to do the work.

Firstly I heard a loud bang from my side when turning a corner the other day and sure enough the O/S/F coil spring was broken.  After a bit of research I found that the ST estates can’t be lowered without replacing the self-levelling rear shock absorbers for standard items so my plans for an Eibach kit were messed up!  I decided in view of the low mileage I drive the car it’s not worth going to those lengths so I opted for a new standard spring.  I think maybe the old spring had been broken for a while but I hadn’t noticed until it worked down the shock absorber as it seems to sit much more level now.

Secondly I thought I would have the UIM pipe replaced as the idle when hot had been slightly erratic, nothing serious but not quite normal.  I had both the upper and lower sections done at the same time, the dealer reported that the upper section was perished and the lower section had chaffed on a stud.

Finally I had been noticing that there seemed to be an increase in engine noise, mainly at idle.  Initially I suspected the pollen filter housing may be at fault but after some further checking it turns out that the brake pedal rubber boot on the bulkhead was the problem, as experienced by ST56 here: http://www.stdrivers...rough-bulkhead/ The dealer had to do quite a lot of disassembly of the pedal box to replace it, I think in hindsight ST56’s method of cutting the boot would be the better thing to do here.  The car is far quieter now so I suspect the boot hasn’t been 100% since I’ve owned the car.

Hopefully it will behave itself for a while now, I guess if I balance those repairs out over the 15 months I’ve had the car it’s not bad really!

#26 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Service and MOT test time again.

Looking back at last years MOT certificate I've managed to do a grand total of 2004 miles in a year :blush:

This time it was due for a 100,000 mile/8 year service, luckily another small one!  It was two years since the last brake fluid change so that was completed too.

Last year's MOT test advised that the front brake discs were getting thin so I decided to have new discs and pads fitted at the same time.  I bought the Mintex BrakeBox set from here: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649 I thought less the £50 for discs and pads was a good price! The brake performance is much improved now so I would recommend Mintex to anyone looking for well-priced brake parts, although to be fair anything would be an improvement on the old corroded discs!  Only problem is the shiny new discs put my scabby wheels to shame now:

NewDiscsampPads_zps0cbbbf52.jpg

Aside from the front brakes they reported the car is in good shape, the only advisory on this MOT is that the rear number plate is starting to de-laminate so I'll get some new plates fitted during the next year; one day I might actually get an MOT with no advisories!

#27 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Time for a very overdue update to the diary!

Back in early spring I noticed the passenger footwell was quite damp.  I got the carpet and sound deadening lifted up and stood a dehumidifier in the car to aid drying.  After some checking of the forum I felt the culprit was going to be either the door membrane or the odour filter cowl so decided to check them both.

On removing the door trims, I found all four membranes were detached in several places like so:

photo1_zpsb7f330d6.jpg

Using a heat-gun, I warmed the black glue up to make it tacky and firmly pressed it down using a little roller from my decorating tools.  I also took the opportunity to clean behind the door trims as the previous owner had left plenty of cigarette ash down there!

With the door trims refitted, I set about checking the odour filter cowl.  Sure enough it was sitting a few millimetres proud from the windscreen and the filter itself was wet.  I wanted to remove the cowl from both sides to do a thorough job and clean behind it but the wiper arms were well-and-truly stuck on the spindles so I gave up and just cleaned & correctly refitted the passenger side complete with an extra dose of sealant.

I was confident that I'd cured the problem having found both common faults leaking and decided to leave the carpet raised for a few more days to dry thoroughly.  A couple of days later it rained again and the next morning I found........

.....more water in the passenger footwell :mad:

After much testing with watering cans and the hosepipe I determined it was coming in behind the dashboard, somewhere near the bulkhead and A pillar but not as high up as the odour filter.  I removed the glovebox, several bits of trim and also the fusebox as best as I could without removing the entire dash.  After poking around with my head stuck behind the dash I found this:

photo_zpsed36c1a5.jpg

Can you see the small back dot just above the shadow?  If I poured water over the windscreen and waited a few minutes, there was a small trickle of water through the hole.  I dried it out thoroughly and applied a small coat of brush-on sealant to the area.  After 24 hours drying, I poured more water over the windscreen and kept my fingers crossed!  This time the inside stayed completely dry!

Looking at this post it doesn't seem like much work, but it took several evenings and part-weekends to get to the bottom of this one, maybe this will help someone else out if they're faced with a similar problem.

#28 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

The next problem happened back in May.  I'd noticed the idle speed becoming a little more erratic than before, then the engine warning light decided to come on too :mad:

I checked the fault codes and found P0443, evaporative emission purge control valve.  As I had no idea what this is I checked on the forum and I think basically it takes fuel vapours from the tank and puts them into the inlet manifold.  I guess it is a fairly common failure on the ST220 as there are a few entries relating to it and found a post containing the correct part number to order so went ahead and purchased it from the dealer for about £90.  When it arrived I found I had a £90 bag containing two pipes, a clip and bracket, but no valve :mad:  The dealer did a technical enquiry with Ford and it turns out the valve is no longer available! 

After much hunting around I couldn't find a brand new one from anywhere, I even emailed some dealers in Germany and France!  Luckily eBay had a second hand one listed from a 1.8 Mondeo, it had the same part number as mine so I took a gamble.  It arrived and looked identical so I fitted it on, I must admit I was still sceptical that it would be wrong and the car wouldn't idle at all but after a quick test drive all was well :D

If anyone else finds themselves needing a new valve, the part number to search for is 1S71-9C915-AA or the later level is 2S71-9C915-BB.

#29 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Finally, last month I noticed the reverse lamps and parking sensors had stopped working.

I guessed at the switch being faulty and as a new one was only about £8 I carried on and ordered one.

I probably took the long-way of fitting it, but I removed the air box, battery and battery tray.  There was just enough room to get a 22mm spanner in to loosen the old one which luckily wasn't too tight.  I think having long arms helped with this job!

While I had the engine bay stripped a little and the weather was nice I decided to have a little clean up under the bonnet, so it went from this:

photo_zpsfe02756f.jpg

To this:

photo1_zpsd755f630.jpg

Still not exactly like new but a much nicer place now I think!  I also got round to fitting the strut covers that I bought from Fitzynkaz over a year ago ;)

#30 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

I have been having trouble for ages now with the tyres not holding pressure and the wheels looking generally skanky:

WheelBefore2_zps9d410eb6.jpg

I decided to get the wheels refurbished at BA Wheels in Norwich.  As much as I like to keep things original, I chose not to go for the diamond cut finish as it doesn't seem to last very well and as the car is almost nine years old I didn't think it was worth the extra cost over power coating.  After looking at the hundreds of different finishes they have available I decided on a plain old silver finish.

I had a bit of a shock when I removed one of the rear tyres:

WheelBefore3_zpsa4d433e4.jpg

Can you see the grove worn around the inner edge?  Good job I haven't driven the car very far recently!  I ordered a couple of Goodyear replacements from lovetyres.com on the advice of a thread on here, they cost roughly £85 each which I thought was a good price for a decent branded tyre.  BA Wheels advised me that the centre caps were too corroded to be painted so I had to get some new ones, they're £22 each from Ford so I got a nice-looking set of four used ones via eBay for about £40.

The finished result is:

WheelAfter_zps8b0cb59b.jpg

A huge improvement!  The centre caps don't match 100% and diamond cut is obviously the best looking finish, but for £240 I'm really pleased with the result!

While the car was on axle stands I decided to give it a coat of Dinitrol cavity wax underneath, possibly one of the most unpleasant jobs I've done on a car, I think I'm still wearing some of it now.  I didn't take any pictures of this part, it was far too dirty to use a camera under there!  I'm undecided if it really helps with the corrosion or not but it's made me feel better knowing it's done!

One final very small touch, I gave the tail pipes a clean up with wire wool.

Before:

ExhaustBefore_zpsb53d59f8.jpg

And after:

ExhaustAfter_zps2d88e455.jpg

That's it for now, next stop is the MOT and service next month so I'm keeping fingers crossed!

#31 Sparkzs

Sparkzs

STD Regular

• Members
  • 1002 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

These wheels look loads better now

Any pictures of the car with the wheels on :)

Mondeo Titanium X Sport TDCi

Mods So Far
Anthracite Alloys, Red Calipers, LED light upgrade

#32 infra 1

infra 1

Post Whore

• Members
  • 3500 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

Nice work mate,can't believe that little hole in the sealer letting water in!.

#33 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

These wheels look loads better now

Any pictures of the car with the wheels on :)

Just one I took with the wheels back on:

WheelAfter3_zps74c8ad4d.jpg

The suspension was sitting a little high as I hadn't driven the car since lowering it off the axle stands.  I guess it doesn't look too bad for a nine year old Mondeo!

#34 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Nice work mate,can't believe that little hole in the sealer letting water in!.

I couldn't believe it either!  I poured gallons of water over the car before I accepted that one little hole could let so much in!  I lifted the footwell carpet again after we had some heavy rain back in August and it's still nice and dry, fingers crossed it stays that way now :)

#35 infra 1

infra 1

Post Whore

• Members
  • 3500 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

Should do,that sealer is where a join is in the metal work so I wonder where it's leaking onto?

#36 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Should do,that sealer is where a join is in the metal work so I wonder where it's leaking onto?

I tried to find out where it was leaking the other side and that joint seems the be where the wheel arch and bulkhead meet but it was just impossible to see anything, even with the wheel arch liner and various other parts removed.  I found an article which described the same problem as mine which advised removing the wing to seal the inner wing/wheel arch/bulkhead seam from the outside but that's well above my skill level!  I figured that in view of the car's age it wasn't worth going much further as long as the inside stays dry, guess I'll always be curious as to if there is an underlying cause!

#37 Shezz

Shezz

Getting better

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

Did you find out what was rubbing on the tyre to wear that groove into it?

2005 Mondeo ST TDCi in Performance Blue
MIJ Performance decat & cat-back stainless steel twin-exit slash-cut exhaust
ASBO conversion with EBC YellowStuff pads and EBC Ultimax discs all round

Rear subframe bushes, wishbone front bushes and wishbone castor bushes all replaced with Powerflex poly-bushes

Racebits gen. 3 upgraded intercooler, black version

K&N 57i induction kit

Connects2 DAB tuner

How-to's: custom boot lighting, fitting Powerflex rear subframe poly-bushesremoving gearbox / selector fork replacementfitting Eibach springs

#38 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

Did you find out what was rubbing on the tyre to wear that groove into it?

Some idiot had driven his car with hardly any pressure in the tyre  :wacko: When BA Wheels took that tyre off there were loads of rubber shavings inside it where the under-inflation had caused the inner surface of the sidewall to rub away, I would never have driven the car if I'd have known how bad the tyre was.  The odd thing is the outer sidewall showed no signs of it at all.

#39 Shezz

Shezz

Getting better

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

At least it shouldn't happen again. My Mrs' coil spring broke and wore a very similar groove into the tyre while we were getting it to the garage.

2005 Mondeo ST TDCi in Performance Blue
MIJ Performance decat & cat-back stainless steel twin-exit slash-cut exhaust
ASBO conversion with EBC YellowStuff pads and EBC Ultimax discs all round

Rear subframe bushes, wishbone front bushes and wishbone castor bushes all replaced with Powerflex poly-bushes

Racebits gen. 3 upgraded intercooler, black version

K&N 57i induction kit

Connects2 DAB tuner

How-to's: custom boot lighting, fitting Powerflex rear subframe poly-bushesremoving gearbox / selector fork replacementfitting Eibach springs

#40 Lyro

Lyro

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

I would recomend to look at your rear axle alignment it is comon to fail for rear axle bushings and mess around wheel alignment. That may cause tyre to whear unevenly and put more force on one side.

Sorry for my English 

Greating's from Lithuania