What do you drive? - Page 2 - General Banter - STdriveRS

header
header

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

What do you drive?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
202 replies to this topic

Learner STdriver

• Validating
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

In the perfect world if petrol prices were not an issue, if your all honest no one would choose a diesel over a petrol unless it was also being used for towing.

#22 Birtie

Birtie

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:46 AM

My TDCi is my 5th Diesel. I drive diesels because I like all that lovely torque.

When I first started driving, I used to like Hillman Hunter 1725cc engine with the old leaded petrol for the same reason. I've also been known to buy the 8 valve version of a petrol engine instead of the 16 valve version because up to 3500 - 4Krpm it went better.

You cant beat the torque of a good diesel, the economy is just a massive bonus. It means you can have fun and still return a reasonable MPG. I have a freind who has a turbo charged petrol vectra, capable of leaving me standing in a straght line but thats all and he darnt use it cause he reckons he can watch the fuel gauge go down.

You just cant beat the torque of a good diesel. :thumb:

A standard ST24 saloon without RSAP kit

Getting better

• Validating
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

In the perfect world if petrol prices were not an issue, if your all honest no one would choose a diesel over a petrol unless it was also being used for towing.

Erm....

Diesel costs more than petrol.

#24 Monkeyra

Monkeyra

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 4208 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Erm....

Diesel costs more than petrol.

But you get more MPG from it, so it works out cheaper ;)

If fuel cost wasn't an issue (which to me it isn't, company fuelcard :whistling: ) then forced induction petrol is the way to go, torque, power and noise :D

2011 Mondeo Titanium X Sport, 240PS Powershift

Learner STdriver

• Validating
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:56 AM

Erm... yes but you do twice as much mileage.

Learner STdriver

• Validating
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

If you genuinly prefer diesel to petrol thats fine and i appreciate the torque factor is a bonus, but for me and i am sure most the sound of a V6 purring on start up put against a diesel starting up from cold will always give petrol the edge.
Dont get me wrong, diesel has come on a long way and there are some superb diesel motors out there, the ST being one. Just stand by my original statement that if petrol prices were not an issue i think the petrol variants would be the choice of most.

Regular ST poster

• Validating
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

I'm really not bothered much by pump prices when it comes to this - I am another who likes the surge of torque you get from a powerful diesel under acceleration!

I have driven many powerful petrol cars in the past, including 190bhp Celica, Lotus Carlton, BMW 525i, but always come back to a diesel for my own car.

I understand why people want the V6, and would never slag it off cos it's a top motor, but I have the diesel by choice, not due to any financial restrictions. :thumb:

#28 andy p

andy p

Getting better

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:28 AM

here here :beer:

Just passed!

• Validating
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

Just got a ST TDCI for my 60 mile round trip to work, had a Passat Sport PD130TDi before. I am lucky in that I have a 205GTI for uk trackdays (hardly used this year :() & a tuned (engine, suspension, handling)new age Subaru STI for trips to a certain German toll road :D. With 6 trips this year, the Subaru has definatly been used ;)

Only had the ST since Monday but 1st impressions are are very favorable, its a cracking car!

Regular ST poster

• Validating
  • 938 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

Im sob driving sob a sob for sob fiesta sob!

Whats sob is sob that sob its sob my sob GIRLFRIENDS sob sob!! :(

BMW3S breaks out into major crying fit!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

I have a R reg ST24 in black.. love it.

Learner STdriver

• Validating
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

st24 in silver,full rsap pack,17 inch wheels and soon a racebits induction kit

Just passed!

• Validating
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

st24 all the way! and i have to agree with some off the other guys that the st tdci is making them a little common. but my problem is the look. the new ones all look so similar no-one knows which it is! when you see an st24 you know its an st24 straight away! (and i know the only way to tell the 24 apart from the 200 is the tail pipes n the wheels) but those original mk2 st's are by far the best!! but thats just my opinion!

#34 nick tdci

nick tdci

Another Outlaw

• Super Moderator
  • 3106 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

st24 all the way for me. love the sound of the v6 with induction kit

Just passed!

• Validating
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

i'm thinking of getting a pipercross induction kit for my ST24 in the next couple of months, but i've heard mixed things. some say it makes no difference to performance, but makes fuel consumption better, and others say it can make it a fair bit quicker! :confused: but either way if it makes the engine sound even better its worth it!! :L

#36 wigs1l

wigs1l

Trundling along

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

ST220 SILVER FOR ME. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

#37 stevies_st_tdci

stevies_st_tdci

Tit xp 2015 2.0 -180

• Members
  • 5531 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

Malford i think its time to remind the petrol heads...............Happy 2008 :banana:

TDCI POWER RULES

Titanium X Sport est 2.2--2011
Sierra 2.0 glxi twincam--1992

Learner STdriver

• Validating
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

ST170 for me

Trundling along

• Validating
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

st24 all the way for me. if only turbo charging could be cheap and possible on the v6. :banana:

#40 tony1428

tony1428

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

My last three cars have been diesels. I traded in my last one for my ST TDCI, it was a Vectra SRI 3.0 V6 CDTI 184 BHP, would of kept it but for the engine management system kept screwing up and lack of Vauxhall after sales service. Now i've got the ST far more luxurious than the Vectra, but lacking in power.