alloy burnish - Page 3 - Gallery - STdriveRS

header
header

Photo

alloy burnish

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#41 BLUEJON

BLUEJON

Its good to Torque....

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

i might do the worst one and see how it looks. Just ordered a Kestrel DAS6 so should be able to keep on top of it. Did you look into clear coating them?
07 ST TDCI [color:blue]PERFORMANCE BLUE[/color]
MODS:
DVD HEADRESTS
ROVERRON
AUTO MIRROR CLOSURE
BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPERS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS
LED FOOTWELL STRIPS
DECAT (self fit with a hole in my hand as a souvenir.
DIY Rear Bumper Lift
DIY alloy burnish - Alloys faces done, now need to find a way of doing the inners.

To do:
Drive it...

#42 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Yes, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I sprayed some lacquer onto a spokes and it came off the next day without to much effort.. Mind you that was cheap halfords lacquer. I'm not sure how professional burnishing it protected
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#43 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

The wheel would normally have a clear powdercoat to protect the finish as per OE. There are etching lacquers available for bare, polished metal, never used them but will be much better than a 1k acrylic. You wont be able to spray on 2k lacquer unless its misted on for the first few coats, as it will simply create a load of fish eyes, it has nothing to grip onto.

An interesting solution to the age old ST wheel problem, looks a bit blingy in my eyes though, and bloody hard work to do, as well as maintain!

#44 Swampydrill

Swampydrill

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

My wheels are alot worse than Jon's ones and am looking to get mine powder coated in a chrome, not too shiney, anyone had this done?, car is silver/light grey

#45 andyjamess

andyjamess

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 1332 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

I have exactly the same problem on mine. Was yours from the front?

2011 (11) Mercedes E250 SE CDI Convertible.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

:rocker:

#46 BLUEJON

BLUEJON

Its good to Torque....

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

Just finished the third wheel. Its a long process but if you stick to the paper grades Jon used you can't go wrong. Just be patient as the results are worth it.

Next job is to get new centre caps, as they are corroded. Don't think you can refurb them.

I'll try and get some pics shortly.
MODS:
DVD HEADRESTS
ROVERRON
AUTO MIRROR CLOSURE
BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPERS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS
LED FOOTWELL STRIPS
DIY Rear Bumper Lift
DIY alloy burnish - Alloys faces done, now need to find a way of doing the inners.

To do:
Drive it...

#47 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

Just finished the third wheel. Its a long process but if you stick to the paper grades Jon used you can't go wrong. Just be patient as the results are worth it.

Next job is to get new centre caps, as they are corroded. Don't think you can refurb them.

I'll try and get some pics shortly.

Hi Jon glad you are getting the results.

You can sand the imprefections out of your caps and then spray them silve and see how that looks. There will be a very slight colour difference between them and the polished metal rims but you will get that anyway with new Ford standard caps because they are painted.

Ensure you wax them regularly! Looking forward to the pics mate

ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#48 paddyirishman

paddyirishman

paddyirishman

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

How are your rims holding up jon1bc?
Thinking about doing this myself

#49 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hi the car the wheels were on has been sold so I cannot comment on how they look now, however, as I have said on the previous page, it depends on if you are prepared to look after them, i.e regularly polish / wax them.
cheers

ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#50 BLUEJON

BLUEJON

Its good to Torque....

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

Here are a few pics of the last wheel I did, pre wax finish. Just sorting out the inside off the spokes with wet and dry, to get rid of the laquer and dirt.

MODS:
DVD HEADRESTS
ROVERRON
AUTO MIRROR CLOSURE
BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPERS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS
LED FOOTWELL STRIPS
DIY Rear Bumper Lift

To do:
Drive it...

#51 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

well done John, the results look stunning - how long did it take you per wheel?

Make sure you keep them waxed!
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#52 BLUEJON

BLUEJON

Its good to Torque....

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Cheers Jon.

Took probably a full day per wheel from start to finish. By the fourth wheel I was losing the will to live, so it took probably a whole week on and off. Need to rewax all four but all though they look a bit dull, there are no obvious oxidisation marks.

Just sanding the inside of the spokes, so once they are done, I will re wax for the winter.
MODS:
DVD HEADRESTS
ROVERRON
AUTO MIRROR CLOSURE
BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPERS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS
LED FOOTWELL STRIPS
DIY Rear Bumper Lift

To do:
Drive it...

#53 totalguy

totalguy

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

thats the best idea ive seen for st wheels polished look :)
51 plate TDDI reliable old skool technology :)

#54 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the only reason the ST220 alloys flake originally is due to the diamond cuts, it's impossible to seal that surface- hence the issue at hand.

I had mine blasted and powder coated as soon as I hand an inch of peal and they've been perfect since, I think this was 2 years ago now and cost me £180. Also make them resist stone chips.

So applying paint on to flat alloy isn't a problem, but if it's simply paint on metal it'll be easily chipped where as powder coating adds a flexible surface that'll 'bounce' stones off of the surface and is less likely to cause chips... Even if it does chip the chances of going to metal are VERY slim.

#55 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

All diamond cut wheels suffer to some degree.

Powdercoat is not resistant to stone chips, not completely anyway, its just tougher.

Different types of alloy wheel corroded at a faster rate and the ST Mondeo wheels is very prone, i big shame because mint, original wheels look amazing.

#56 totalguy

totalguy

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

this is why i prefer my mk3 wheels they dont suffer like all the rest of um :)
51 plate TDDI reliable old skool technology :)

#57 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

Powdercoat is not resistant to stone chips, not completely anyway, its just tougher.

Different types of alloy wheel corroded at a faster rate and the ST Mondeo wheels is very prone, i big shame because mint, original wheels look amazing.

Alloy can only corrode when it's exposed and that only happens if the finish is damaged or didn't fully adhere in the first place which is the case of the diamond cut ST220 alloys.

Also powder coating is chip resistant, just not chip proof.

#58 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

Alloy can only corrode when it's exposed and that only happens if the finish is damaged or didn't fully adhere in the first place which is the case of the diamond cut ST220 alloys.

Also powder coating is chip resistant, just not chip proof.

Ok, make your mind up, your post was misleading, saying that powdercoat will not chip. I said that it can still get chipped, just not as bad as paint.

The powdercoat used on the ST wheels chips, water gets behind it and then the adhesion breaks down, the alloy starts to corrode and it peels. I dont think the powerdercoat had a poor grip in the first place, i think the alloy is just easily corroded the moment it is exposed to the elements and this is where it suffer more than some other diamond cut wheels.

Cars like the Lexus IS200 had massive corrosion problems on their wheels, in fact a lot of jap cars do even the normal silver painted ones, you cant do anything about it as even once refurbed, the alloy still remains the same.

#59 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

I didn't say it won't chip, i said it's resistant to chips- it resists stone chips within reason. Much like a water resistant watch, it resists water within reason but is not water proof.

From the factory, there was no powder coating so I don't know how you're arriving at your conclusion there! lol

The clear coat can't adhere to the diamond cut surface positively- it just cant. Then you get moisture under the clear coat which causes the corrosion. If you get a new set from Ford you will find (like I have) they've put a coat of light oil over them probs to prevent this happening while it's in their stock room! lol.

There isn't a wheel manufacturer who has managed to produce a diamond cut alloy that doesn't have this issue which is why it's very rare to find on OEM spec cars these days.

If you have them refurbed ask for a flat powder coat finish and it will be the end of your problems. 2 years on and I've not had a problem.

The corrosion issue happens to all alloy wheels that are painted.

I buy and sell MK3 Mondeos mostly and do about 3 a week, I haven't come across one that hasn't had some wheel corrosion, the difference is ususally its caused by scatches/chips in the paint finish exposing the core material. I find the Ghia X and ST220 alloys are the biggest offenders, followed by the Zetec alloys. The Zetec-S and Ghia alloys appear to hold up better.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a Ford problem, I've had it on Mercs, BMWs, Nissans, Renaults and VAGs too.

#60 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

Incorrect, the original coating is a clear powdercoat over the diamond cut spoke faces, so thats why i am drawing that conclusion. The wheels are powdercoated, then diamond cut, then clear powdercoated from the factory.