alloy burnish - Page 2 - Gallery - STdriveRS

header
header

Photo

alloy burnish

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#21 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Any update on how the finish is bearing up?

I saw them at the weekend after not being touched for 2 weeks. The initial appearance was as I would have expected after 2 week worth of driving in average weather conditions. I smeared my finger over one of the spokes as it came up as "new" However, to be honest, I don't thing enough time has elapsed to be able to give a fair indication on its durability. I will post a review in 2 weeks tiem when I go back
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#22 lilyrose

lilyrose

Trundling along

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hi.How much would this normally cost to have done at one of those refirb garages.I bet it would be expensive and would not look half as nice as yours.Cheers Lilyrose.

#23 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

Thanks lilyrose, I wouldn't have a clue how much they would cost probably quite expensive as you say.

Well its been about nearly 6 weeks since they were done. I had a look at them at the weekend, washed the grime off and dried them. There were no signs of pitting, just very faint what looked like water marks in a few places that would not come off with damp cloth although I had to look very closely so see them.

I gave them a brief hand polish which removed these marks and they came up as 'new'.

I'm guessing these water marks were the first initial signs of weathering and that if they were left longer, i'e 4-5 months, then these marks would be more prominent.

Some people may say giving them a polish and a wax every 1-2 months is high maintenance but in my opinion the burnished finish of the alloy outweighs any extra efforts in keeping them corrosion free.

I would imagine that giving them a quick wax everytime the car was washed would suffice in keeping them protected and spotless.

Overall I am happy with how they have withstood the elements. I will post up more pictures soon.

As part of my next project I'm looking to source a few scratched ST alloys needing refurb and burnish a set of 4 to maybe sell on ebay. i wonder if there would be any interest!

cheers

ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#24 bennie12kaby

bennie12kaby

Getting better

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

This is probably a stupid question but how did you tackle the bits inbetween the spokes? Did you just sand the lacquer off by hand and then polish as best as you could?
ST TDCi 06 plate Performance Blue
Mirror polished alloy wheels with modified gunmetal grey centre caps.
Bluefin, Wingspeed Decat, MIJ Performance twin exit mid sports exhaust
Eibach Pro Kit Suspension, Blackeye headlight with Angel Eyes.
10inch rear LCD screen - roof mounted.
Racebits large front mounted Intercooler.
Forge boost pipe kit
K&N 57i Induction Kit - fffffffffttttttttssssss

#25 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

Only the face was burnished. Any light scracthes on the inside of the wheel were wetsanded & polished like you would with car paintwork but obviously this depends on the condition of the alloy.

ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#26 bennie12kaby

bennie12kaby

Getting better

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

Fancy doing mine for me? I only live in Halifax :whistling:
ST TDCi 06 plate Performance Blue
Mirror polished alloy wheels with modified gunmetal grey centre caps.
Bluefin, Wingspeed Decat, MIJ Performance twin exit mid sports exhaust
Eibach Pro Kit Suspension, Blackeye headlight with Angel Eyes.
10inch rear LCD screen - roof mounted.
Racebits large front mounted Intercooler.
Forge boost pipe kit
K&N 57i Induction Kit - fffffffffttttttttssssss

#27 squelch

squelch

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2923 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

any pics of them after a few months

Ford S Max Titanium 2.5T 57plate
MEV Exocet and mk1 project on the drive

#28 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

I will get some at the weekend when i go down
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#29 ST56

ST56

Post Whore

• Validating
  • 4808 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hi

Any pics of them after a few months x2

Peter

5 Door ST TDCi, Performance Blue, Privacy glass, Black Leather/Alcantara Recaro's, Denso Sat Nav, Advanced Bluetooth, Voice Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Jaguar Flip Key, Eibach Springs Fin No.1132335, Added Foam Rear Bumper support pads. Focus indicators in mirrors. ASBO Calipers Painted Red. Ford Discs Front & Rear. With RedStuff pads.CCFL Halo’s by Chromiumtech. 6000K D2S Bulbs in Ford Projectors dip beam. 6000K H1 HID Kit Main Beam, FORGE Boost & Inlet Hoses. Full 2.5" bore Turbo back exhaust system with 4’’ Tailpipe from MIJ Exhaust. 20mm wheel spacers Front & Back.

#30 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Here they are after a few months - not looking too bad - as you can see there is faint corrosion in places which appear as white spots.

Wiping over with water / cleaning lubricant does not remove the spots. They will need a brief polish which I will do tomorrow and post up the results.

The condition of the alloys as they stand after a few months exceeded my expectations.
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#31 ST56

ST56

Post Whore

• Validating
  • 4808 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi

Looking good. Perhaps secret would be to coat with wheel wax every week or two.

Now hows about polishing them caps.

Peter

5 Door ST TDCi, Performance Blue, Privacy glass, Black Leather/Alcantara Recaro's, Denso Sat Nav, Advanced Bluetooth, Voice Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Jaguar Flip Key, Eibach Springs Fin No.1132335, Added Foam Rear Bumper support pads. Focus indicators in mirrors. ASBO Calipers Painted Red. Ford Discs Front & Rear. With RedStuff pads.CCFL Halo’s by Chromiumtech. 6000K D2S Bulbs in Ford Projectors dip beam. 6000K H1 HID Kit Main Beam, FORGE Boost & Inlet Hoses. Full 2.5" bore Turbo back exhaust system with 4’’ Tailpipe from MIJ Exhaust. 20mm wheel spacers Front & Back.

#32 graemewelch

graemewelch

Trundling along

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

are you aware that some plastic primers are transparent and this would cure the oxidising problem

#33 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

But surely you would still have the same problem of the primer not adhering to the polished metal? or am I missing something?
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#34 graemewelch

graemewelch

Trundling along

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

try a body shop. im sure plastic primer is like etch so should be ok. or have you tried to see if any wear can do transparent powder coating

#35 ReggieK

ReggieK

On an ST forum, without an ST. Hmmm!!

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

How are they holding up now Jon?
Saab 93 2.0t Vector Sport

Have owned...
ST24 - Black - 1997/P
ST200 - P Blue - 2000/X
ST220 - P Blue - 2004/04

#36 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hi ReggieK,

I'll take some snaps next time I see the old man
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#37 BLUEJON

BLUEJON

Its good to Torque....

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hi Jon,
Anymore pics of the alloys? I am thinking of giving this a go in the summer, but curious to see if they suffer in anyway over the winter.
Cheers
Jon
07 ST TDCI [color:blue]PERFORMANCE BLUE[/color]
MODS:
DVD HEADRESTS
ROVERRON
AUTO MIRROR CLOSURE
BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPERS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS
LED FOOTWELL STRIPS
DECAT (self fit with a hole in my hand as a souvenir.
DIY Rear Bumper Lift
DIY alloy burnish - Alloys faces done, now need to find a way of doing the inners.

To do:
Drive it...

#38 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi Jon,

I haven't seen them but the old man said they had corroded a little after 4 months untouched, over the winter period. He has since gone over them with the machine polisher and have come up a treat.

Basically if your looking for a good finish with low maintenance then I suggest you avoid going down the burnshing route, however, if you are prepard to give a little tlc every few months then in my opinion the clean, shiny burnish finish outweights the efforts in keeping them maintained.

ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#39 BLUEJON

BLUEJON

Its good to Torque....

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Jon.
If it was only the face of the wheels that was done, would a regular waxing with mirror glaze or collinite do the job of keeping them in mint nick?
Cheers
Jon
07 ST TDCI [color:blue]PERFORMANCE BLUE[/color]
MODS:
DVD HEADRESTS
ROVERRON
AUTO MIRROR CLOSURE
BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPERS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS
LED FOOTWELL STRIPS
DECAT (self fit with a hole in my hand as a souvenir.
DIY Rear Bumper Lift
DIY alloy burnish - Alloys faces done, now need to find a way of doing the inners.

To do:
Drive it...

#40 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

Well I think you would stand a far better chance. To be honest, I dont think my dad ever waxed them.

I assume you have a machine polisher?
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension