alloy burnish - Gallery - STdriveRS

header
header

Photo

alloy burnish

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Right lads, a DIY alloy burnish was on the cards today :L - wheel was looking typically tired and had seen better days but instead of painting & lacquer I decided to leave the finish as a polished metal - I just hope the finish lasts - time will tell I suppose! cheers :beer:
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#2 maldeo

maldeo

keep smiling:)

• Members
  • 1519 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

nice finish,look well,but move your sandwiches they will taste a bit gritty.lol. :L

car has now been sold12.10.13. :(

fiesta zetec s tdci  now sold 7.1.2015.

focus estate ST ecoboost 247.. :L

#3 JazzyGeoff

JazzyGeoff

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!

• Members
  • 1266 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Nice work jon! Look awsome!

Fancy doing mine sometime ;)
55 ST TDCi

#4 thesock

thesock

Bigger Post Whore!

• Members
  • 6640 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

very nice mate :thumb:
[color:black]56 plate [/color][color:red]ST[/color] [color:blue]TDCI[/color]
[color:purple]Xenons[/color]
[color:orange]No boot release button thingy inside the car[/color]
[color:green]Original ST alloys in suprisingly good condition[/color] :grin: [color:blue][/color]
[color:red]Eibach lowering springs[/color]
[color:blue]Ripley custom map[/color]
[color:brown]189bhp & 360 lb torque[/color]
[color:blue]JP Full exhaust & decat[/color]
[color:purple]ASBOS and Goodridge braided hoses[/color]
[color:orange]Airtech intercooler[/color]

#5 malford

malford

Titanium X Pack

• Super Moderator
  • 6208 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Any chance you can give us a step by step guide to compliment the pictures.

Great Finish :content:

2016 Mondeo Titanium X Pack 2.0 EcoBoost
My 5th Mondeo
Eibach Pro-Line
TurboSmart BOV

Bluefin Remap

#6 f50sean

f50sean

f50sean

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

Came up well what exactly did u do? sand the laquer off and buff them up in the first pic there is one spoke in poor condition what did it come up like?

#7 Scoops1972

Scoops1972

ST Addict

• Members
  • 2245 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:45 AM

Great job Jon but I thought your wheels were gunmetal grey???

#8 thesock

thesock

Bigger Post Whore!

• Members
  • 6640 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

im glad you said that scoops as i thought that too, just figured i got it wrong?
[color:black]56 plate [/color][color:red]ST[/color] [color:blue]TDCI[/color]
[color:purple]Xenons[/color]
[color:orange]No boot release button thingy inside the car[/color]
[color:green]Original ST alloys in suprisingly good condition[/color] :grin: [color:blue][/color]
[color:red]Eibach lowering springs[/color]
[color:blue]Ripley custom map[/color]
[color:brown]189bhp & 360 lb torque[/color]
[color:blue]JP Full exhaust & decat[/color]
[color:purple]ASBOS and Goodridge braided hoses[/color]
[color:orange]Airtech intercooler[/color]

#9 Matt277

Matt277

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

That looks excellent mate :cool:
Cheers Matt.

Euro4 ST TDCI Performance Blue.
Re-Mapped by CNL. Sold šŸ˜©

2003 ST170 play thing

#10 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for all the comments :L They are my old mans wheels not mine

Sean - All surface blemishes were completely removed. The 60 grit sheets also took out stone chips that had gone through to the metal!

Heres a quick step by step

Basically what you are doing is fully removing the lacquer from the wheel and polishing the metal alloy underneath. As everyone knows the Ford ST wheels suffer horribly from oxidisation causing the wheels to look like Pic 1 above. e The lacquer layer perforates due to kerbing, stone chips and exposes the metal, moisture gets in, gets trapped and its prolonged contact with the metal causes it to react.
Personally believe this to be a combination of poor quality lacquer / its thinness and the poor adhesion to the metal surface

Anyway heres what i used:

Sheet sander (with 60 , 120, 240 and 400 grit sheets)
Detail sander (with the same sheets as above, Ā£13 from B&Q, you will need this if your are attempting to sand with the tyre on as the larger sheet sander cant get to the rim of the alloy
Sandpaper ā€“ 600 ā€“ 800w&d ā€“ 1500w&d ā€“ 2000w&d ā€“ 2500w&d ā€“ 3000w&d
Machine polisher with a cutting, polishing and finishing polish & pads and a wax

I suppose most of the the sanding steps are self explanatory working from the lower grit upwards..

1 - Use the 60 grit or similar with the machine to remove the existing lacquer ā€“ you will know when you have reached the metal as the finish will look something like Pic3 - this took me about 1.5hrs

2 - Work your way through the machine grits over the whole of the wheel finishing with a 400 ā€“ you will notice the larger marks left with the 60grit will get smaller and smaller and the metal will appear smoother.

3 - Now with the manual sanding ā€“ Starting at about 600grit you want to be spending about 1minute per spoke sanding in long strokes over the whole of the wheel. Ater this inspect your work closely to make sure all the larger scratches made by the lower grits are removed.

4 - Wet & Dry sanding next, using a spray bottle with water / washing up liquid as a lubricant ā€“ repeat step 3 for each grade paper.
During W&D sanding you will notice a black residue appearing as you sand ā€“ I believe this is the aliminium (hydrated alumina) with color due to oxidized alloying elements for all you Chemical Engineers out there?

5 ā€“ When you are sure you have gone over the whole wheel ā€“ hose the wheel down and check for scratch marks left by smaller grits. There will be some so go back and wet sand what you have missed, stepping down to a lower grit paper if neccessary and then back to 3000.

At this stage the whee looks OK, a lot better than the wheel before you started but just a little dull. This is where the machine polisher comes into its own. You will need a cutting pad and cutting polish for the initial pass. I used the Menzerna cutting pad & power gloss. This is a heavy combination and will remove the very fine marks left on the metal.

6 ā€“ Heavy Cut Polish - Use the cutting pad & polish on the wheel. (The black residue as mentioned above will appear like crazy ā€“ and will completely turn your pad black but dont worry- this is a good thing as it shows your are working the metal) do this a few times and remove remove the black residue with tissue paper ( I found this worked much better than a microfibre)

7 - Medium Cut Polish - Use a Polishing pad & polish (I used Lake Country orange pad with Meguiars #83) apply the same procedure as above ā€“ Do 2 passes with this combination and then move to the finishing pad & polish combination (Light Cut). This it where you start to see the results.

8 ā€“ Wax

9 ā€“ Go to the fridge and pull out a can of beer

All together it look me 5hrs to do one wheel

Iā€™m not sure how these wheels will end up looking after a few months. Iā€™m guessing they will need looking after in terms of applying a wax to them regulary.

How about a lacquer final coat? Well, if Ford cant occomplish a durable finish they I definately wont be able too. As the wheel stands now, the surface is far to smooth for there to be any suficient adhesion to a coat of laquer. Last night I sprayed one of the spokes with lacquer as a test ā€“ I applied 3 coats and left it to dry over night. This morning it came off with my finger nail.

Ill keep an eye on the wheels over the next few months and report back my findings.

cheers :L

ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#11 Scoops1972

Scoops1972

ST Addict

• Members
  • 2245 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

:first: Fantastic post Jon. Keep up the good work :L

P.s you deserve more than one visit to the fridge for that!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

#12 f50sean

f50sean

f50sean

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Definitely an interesting post, thankfully my rims are in really good condition at the min, 5hrs a rim but looks well worth it great job

#13 graemewelch

graemewelch

Trundling along

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

get some laquer on them or theyll oxidise in no time, top job though, i was going to get some polishing soap from work to do mine but got 19s instead

Just passed!

• Validating
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

well i did my wheel to mirror finish laquered it about 10 or more times, flatted it then polished the laquer its still fine.its everybodys opinion but i think if i have a choice of keeping the finish intact or nothing at all.Its got to be some kind of protection because its opened to the weather unless your out polishing the wheel all the time,all i do is wash it thats it like i do any other time

#15 jon1bc

jon1bc

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

We will have to see, if it means using the machine polisher on them one every 6 months then so be it. I dont think the amountof layers you spray on would make any difference because the weak link is the first layer and it did literally come off with my finger nail when I tested it.

We should both report back with pictures every month or so as a comparison
ST220
JP Exhaust
Eibach Suspension

#16 malford

malford

Titanium X Pack

• Super Moderator
  • 6208 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

Great Post and made sticky, well done gentlemen :first:

2016 Mondeo Titanium X Pack 2.0 EcoBoost
My 5th Mondeo
Eibach Pro-Line
TurboSmart BOV

Bluefin Remap

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Thats a cracking job mate, 5hrs may seem a long time but i bet when you saw that finish it was more than worth the wait!!

I have just posted about wheels in the car care section as i heard an interesting story this weekend about VW....have a read.

Just passed!

• Validating
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

no probs

#19 Davesdealing

Davesdealing

GraFX

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

Do you know I am so impressed, Im gonna give you mine to do... NO....Don't thank me, Its my privilege.... hmmm... pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeee
ST 220 Machine Silver Saloon
K&NPanel Filter
18" Magnum Steel 16 Spoke Alloys
Wheel Decals by DMG
E-Tech Red Calipers
Sparco wiper system
Mother in law rolled in carpet in the boot :whistling:
6 speed box
Private Number Plate
Smoked Wing Indicator Covers
Tints all round

coming next TINTS and remap

#20 Richielaa

Richielaa

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

Any update on how the finish is bearing up?