• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tubthumper

tubthumper

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Hello all,

Now I've changed discs/pads on countless cars but I've never experienced the problems I'm having with my Mondeo, it's making me seriously doubt my ability and I need someone with more experience than me to put me straight.

Since changing my discs/pads all round (a little while ago to be fair), the pedal feel has been slightly soft and braking performance not what I would expect. The handbrake also feels soft with lots of travel. I did have to remove the offside rear piston to clean and refit but I did this correctly as it now seals and I bled the caliper after refitting.

Now, I'm seeing through reading on this site that the rear calipers have notches to align them when rewinding them. I didn't know this at the time, but I can remember that I didn't have a long and short rewind notch - they were both the same size. I didn't have an allen socket either so had to use my rewind tool. Have I missed something? I really am wracking my brains as to what could be causing the poor braking. Does the lever on the caliper that attaches to the handbrake cable have to be "reset" in any way also?

Mines a late 2006 model, and the calipers are Bosch.

Please help - this is really sending me up the wall!

Thanks in advance,
Josh

#2 ST56

ST56

Post Whore

• Members
  • 4793 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:PB ST TDCi

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hi

With new pads I doubt you would have been able to fit caliper over discs without the slots in pistons being aligned. It would pay to remove wheels and check pads are flat on discs and calipers are sitting correctly on pads,

As you have extra play in handbrake it sound as if one or both pistons are stuck inside calipers. Try pressing hard on pedal to take up slack then pull handbrake up and down a few times to see if things improve.

After winding pistons into calipers to allow clearance for new pads and discs, a few pulls on the handbrake should activate the self adjusting feature to take up any slack.

Occasionally the lever arm on the caliper sticks, the spring then does not fully release arm to allow adjustment mechanism to work. again check movement with the wheels off.

Peter 

5 Door ST TDCi, Performance Blue, Privacy glass, Black Leather/Alcantara Recaro's, Denso Sat Nav, Advanced Bluetooth, Voice Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Jaguar Flip Key, Eibach Springs Fin No.1132335, Added Foam Rear Bumper support pads. Focus indicators in mirrors. ASBO Calipers Painted Red. Ford Discs Front & Rear. With RedStuff pads.CCFL Halo’s by Chromiumtech. 6000K D2S Bulbs in Ford Projectors dip beam. 6000K H1 HID Kit Main Beam, FORGE Boost & Inlet Hoses. Full 2.5" bore Turbo back exhaust system with 4’’ Tailpipe from MIJ Exhaust. 20mm wheel spacers Front & Back.

#3 tubthumper

tubthumper

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I removed them again tonight, and believe it or not both were installed and operating without the grooves aligned and the piston pressing the onto the bump on the pad. I felt like such an idiot when I spotted it.

Both of the grooves on each caliper were of seemingly identical size, so I rewound them all of the way back and lined up whichever one was closest to the piston being backed all of the way off.

Is it important to pump the pedal before pumping the handbrake? Watching the calipers working, all seems correct with other pedal and lever.

The pedal feel is now improved with the pads installed correctly, however the spongy handbrake remains. To be honest it felt like this before I changed the brakes - could it just be that I require a new handbrake cable - stretched?

Cheers,
Josh

#4 danielpalfrey

danielpalfrey

Trundling along

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST220
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

I would check that the handbrake mechagnism on the caliper hasny jammed. it happens. failing that check the cable itself hasnt got to much slack. other than that I don;t know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users