25 replies to this topic

#21 STick220

STick220

Stamping my carbon footprint!

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST220 Estate

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Er! just reading back though these posts, lads why not just use a tyre gauge Simples!  Or don't people get their hands dirty anymore?   :stir:  :}  :}

Just another way cars are getting less 'hands on' I guess, along with the likes of park assist and active city stop etc etc. Makes you wonder how long it will be until we just sit there and they drive themselves to our destination doesn't it?

Car; 2005 '55' Ford Mondeo ST220 5 Door Estate in Machine Silver with Recaro Light Flint leather interior.

Extras; Advanced Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone & Voice Control System • Touchscreen DVD Navigation System with 6 Disc CD Changer • Technology Pack (Xenon Headlamps & Privacy Glass) • Rear Seat Audio System • Rear Park Assist.

Modifications; Automatic Central Locking • Powder Coated Wheels.

#22 peterex

peterex

Post Whore

• Members
  • 11261 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 330D SE
  • Name:Pete (The Fossil)

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Just another way cars are getting less 'hands on' I guess, along with the likes of park assist and active city stop etc etc. Makes you wonder how long it will be until we just sit there and they drive themselves to our destination doesn't it?

The trouble is they already do!

Whatever happened to the golden age of motoring when everybody had a tool kit in the car. When you put a blanket over the engine in winter to keep the engine warm. When you had a choke and a starting handle both of which didn't help on a winters morning. When a heater in a car was an expensive optional extra so you had a hot water bottle instead! When you serviced your car yourself----every 1000 miles! When you loved the road holding with your new crossply tyres. When your brakes worked sometimes and sometimes they didn't. When you spent all weekend servicing you car just to go to work on a monday morning!  Oh and you had a tyre pressure gauge in your tool box along with a spare set of plugs and points! 

What deep joy we had without mobile phones, tablets and AP's! :}  :}  :}  :stir:  :L  

#23 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

The trouble is they already do!

Whatever happened to the golden age of motoring when everybody had a tool kit in the car.

I must say as nice to drive, safe and reliable the latest cars are, I do think you become somewhat detached from the basic driving experience in them. I drove a new Kuga over to North Walsham a while back and as nice as it was, it almost seemed like every input from me was assessed by the car before it was accepted. Then again it certainly made my ST feel rather old when I got back in it!

Another thing while I'm moaning; I think it's because I'm never in a new car long enough to get fully used to it, but I find the new breed of large touchscreens in these cars rather distracting too; there's so many functions all in one place. I guess it probably becomes second nature once you get a feel for it but there's something that seems more simple about a physical button with just one function assigned.

Don't get me wrong any of you guys with a new Mondeo etc has got a cracking car and sure if I was doing a decent annual mileage (and didn't spend all my spare cash doing up,our home....) I'd seriously look at one.

Right, I'm off to find a mk1 Cortina in the classifieds and put a blanket over the engine ready for winter :)

Car; 2005 '55' Ford Mondeo ST220 5 Door Estate in Machine Silver with Recaro Light Flint leather interior.

Extras; Advanced Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone & Voice Control System • Touchscreen DVD Navigation System with 6 Disc CD Changer • Technology Pack (Xenon Headlamps & Privacy Glass) • Rear Seat Audio System • Rear Park Assist.

#24 peterex

peterex

Post Whore

• Members
  • 11261 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

OK mate I'm just having a stir and a bit of a laugh :}

But although I love these modern cars there are a lot of distractions in them which I think is not good given the amount and speed of modern day traffic, particularly on motorways. But even here in good old Norfolkshire you probably know as well as I do of the dangers we face in the countryside so you can't let your attention wander or be distracted by reading a sat nav --------or even a tyre pressure read out!. :driving:  :}  :}  

BTW your ST seems nicely spec'ed? :L

#25 STick220

STick220

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

But even here in good old Norfolkshire you probably know as well as I do of the dangers we face in the countryside so you can't let your attention wander or be distracted by reading a sat nav --------or even a tyre pressure read out!. :driving:  :}  :} 

Yeah we sure do, not so long back I had a close encounter with a rather large grumpy-looking deer when I was out Thetford way, it was a good test of the old reactions to say the least! Glad I was driving one of the firms cars at the time :)

BTW your ST seems nicely spec'ed? :L

Thank you :) Yeah it's fairly well kitted aside from a sunroof. It's just starting to feel it's age a bit now (12 years in October), nothing really wrong with it, just not quite as sharp if you know what I mean? But for 2-3000 miles a year it's fine, and it made it all the way from Norfolk to Loch Ness and back last year without missing a beat :) It started out life as a Ford company car, hence the spec, then a guy in Haverhill bought it as a Ford Direct car and I bought it from a trader 5 years ago and it's been faithfully carrying the dogs and home renovation supplies around for me ever since!

#26 peterex

peterex

Post Whore

• Members
  • 11261 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

sounds as though it's been a good old work horse? There is a Performance blue jobber here in DM located in someones garden. it hasn't moved much for several years so I guess it's being left to rot now which is a shame. From a few yards away it doesn't look too bad, certainly the bodywork looks reasonable and as far as I can see so do the lovely ST alloys!   Maybe there is something mechanical that is seriously wrong?  It looks original and unmodded and I think it's an 03 reg. I hate to see motors just left like that! :blush:  :blush:  

My last three Fords were all ex direct cars and good value for money. I still regret getting rid of my 06 Tit X TDCI it was a great motor which I had for over 6 years. But the bug bit, the right car turned up at the right time and money so I went to the dark side and purchased a non Ford for only the 2nd time in nearly 60 years of motoring! But I'm still a Ford man at heart hence I still look in on the Forum. :driving:  :}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users