3 replies to this topic

#1 Wildcat

Wildcat

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus ST-3

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

I recently bought a new custom number plate. Trouble is, the ST grill is curved and the plate is bolted in the centre, which causes each end to stick out. I've used double sided sticky tape, but that doesn't work. After a while the ends just pop out again.What do the dealerships use to stick the number plates down securely?

#2 Daverutt

Daverutt

Trundling along

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo St 220
  • Name:David

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I had same issue when I fitted pressed plates,double sided stuff held for couple of weeks but then lifted up due to the curve.I had to put 1 small taper screw(stainless) at end of the plate.

#3 smokey

smokey

Just passed!

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST220

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

I used number plate fixing tape on the ends of mine about 2 weeks after I bought it.

In July that will be 9 years ago and it is still holding...

#4 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1514 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

I recently bought a new custom number plate. Trouble is, the ST grill is curved and the plate is bolted in the centre, which causes each end to stick out. I've used double sided sticky tape, but that doesn't work. After a while the ends just pop out again.What do the dealerships use to stick the number plates down securely?

It's worth noting what the tape isn't sticking too. If it's coming away from the plate the double sided tape might not be much good. If it's coming away from the car then the car body may not have been clean enough. The body needs to be perfectly clean and free of not only dirt but wax, sealer or shampoo residue etc.
2 x mk3 Mondeos and a Renault Captur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users