header
header

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

Car Written Off. Getting Nothing For It Apparently!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:st155
  • Name:liam

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hi guys, 

On the 29th there was a bit of wind in the north east. My car happened to be parked in the wrong place at the wrong time. A house gable end fell on my car and totally ruined it. as you can see....

Attached File  12321283_172687143081854_7690771716723343822_n.jpg   145.64KB   9 downloads

Attached File  12336049_1112502458782478_1000955708_n.jpg   94.3KB   8 downloads

Attached File  12351305_1111746635524727_2051983604_n.jpg   107.82KB   9 downloads

Attached File  12351705_1112876415411749_694869717_o.jpg   82.17KB   9 downloads

Attached File  12364327_1112876562078401_460165173_o.jpg   161.44KB   9 downloads

I called my insurance company and they were the most unhelpful bunch of &%%£$"** i have ever known. regardless i wasn't wanting to claim though my insurance anyway. £500 excess and i would loose 10 years no claims. So really not worth it.

anyway i tried to get them to go through the other persons house insurance. They weren't really bothered about that. They were more concerned about telling me that i would have to pay the £500 at the garage when it gets fixed. So anyway, i left the insurance company right away and i'm fighting it myself.

the house insurance company are unwilling to pay out unless i can prove that the building has not been maintained, built properly ect. which i can and have done but the insurance company have responded and no doubt will be dragging their heels. has anyone dealt with this situation before? any tips would be welcome.

see in the picture that there is no wall ties. the top part has been re built before so there should be some.

Attached File  12348200_1114447575254633_1668833503_n.jpg   80.7KB   10 downloads

also breaking it for parts if anyone is interested

thanks

Liam 

#2 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:st tdci mondeo
  • Name:Jon Carter

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

OMG , really feel for you mate, at least you were not sat in it! Wonder what their insurance would say then?

Don't want to sound callas but has it got any upgraded bits, exhaust, tuning box etc?

Hope you get sorted

Jon
2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

Just need time to fit halos,DRLs & Cupra splitter , will be remapped soon!

#3 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

OMG , really feel for you mate, at least you were not sat in it! Wonder what their insurance would say then?

Don't want to sound callas but has it got any upgraded bits, exhaust, tuning box etc?

Hope you get sorted

Jon

it was standard mate. sorry 

#4 Daverutt

Daverutt

Trundling along

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo St 220
  • Name:David

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

The owner of the property is legally responsible for the damage to your car makes no difference if it was maintained or not.they might try an say it was an act of god but its clearly storm damage and a wall that wasent built to regulations.keep on at your car insurance company,if their is any worse insurers than car insurers its building's .your car insurance company legal department should be onto them straight away.I noticed that it made the papers round your way so if nothing is sorted you could mention to your insurer about contacting the paper about how nothing is happening.
Best of luck

#5 STrearender

STrearender

Getting better

• Members
  • 1135 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MONDEO 2.5T TIT X
  • Name:MICK

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:41 PM

That is a terrible waste of a lovely car.

Your car insurance who is it ?.

If i was you i would claim thru your car insurer,let them do what they are paid for,they should look after your interests.

You will be liable to pay the excess on the policy but your insurer can claim that back from the house insurers,your car is a write off,and the claim should be treated as a "non fault" accident so you should not lose all your no claims.

Are you fully comp did you take out legal expenses cover with the policy.

Has your car been removed from the site ? and taken to a safe place ?

Mick

MY ST220 ON THE DYNO AT DREAMSCIENCE DREAMSCIENCE DYNO WITH POWER OUPUT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 Final Facelift ST220 in Stardust Silver - Owner is a Fan Boy.
Now with its very first MOT.Third MOT passed today 28-June-2011.
19" Arden Sportline Alloys (German Jaguar) - 20" MS Design Alloys (For Shows)
This BOY - Is pure Chaka Chaka and Bang Tidy.
Dreamscience 251 bhp 215 lbf.ft - Bluefin Stg Two 241 bhp 211 lbf.ft

------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:13 PM

it was standard mate. sorry

Don't be sorry mate, it's fine, don't let the insurance fob you off either. Good luck Jon
2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

#7 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

That is a terrible waste of a lovely car.

Your car insurance who is it ?.

If i was you i would claim thru your car insurer,let them do what they are paid for,they should look after your interests.

You will be liable to pay the excess on the policy but your insurer can claim that back from the house insurers,your car is a write off,and the claim should be treated as a "non fault" accident so you should not lose all your no claims.

Are you fully comp did you take out legal expenses cover with the policy.

Has your car been removed from the site ? and taken to a safe place ?

Mick

auto net 

they were so obstructive I've given up on them. I was fully comp but they are just being unhelpful i wouldn't go anywhere near them again. 

it's not been removed. They can't do any work until it's removed though. There is no chance what so ever i am moving it. I'll be as awkward as possible 

#8 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

jesus christ i have some bad luck! some wife has just reversed into the front of my new ST on the school run, small crack and some deep scuffs on the bumper.

#9 blocky71

blocky71

Getting better

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Name:chris

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:18 PM

Man that double sucks Liam!.
I can't believe that both companies are giving you no joy.
I think a free trip to citizens advice is in order.
As already said, at the least your car insurers legal team should be taking action to get your payout from the home owners building insurance...
It would be criminal for you to walk away with nothing.
Keep us posted !
Chris
PERFORMANCE BLUE 06 MONDEO ST TDCI
FACTORY SAT NAV,REAR PARKING SENSORS
FULL HEATED LEATHER 8 WAY ELECTRIC RECAROS
VOICE ACTIVATED CONTROLS, REAR AUDIO KIT
AUTO WIPERS AND LIGHTS, ST220 FRONT ROLL BAR
PUMA DECAT STAINLESS EXHAUST
MINTEX DISCS AND PADS, EIBACH SPRING KIT
RACEBITS INTERCOOLER + HOSES

#10 peterex

peterex

Post Whore

• Members
  • 11257 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 330D SE
  • Name:Pete (The Fossil)

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Suggestions re wall damage to your car.

1.  get back to your insurer ASAP record your telephone calls or keep copies of emails read your policy carefully and don't lose those photo's!.

2, If you bought your insurance via a broker contact them ASAP

3, If you have legal cover with your car policy inform the legal company direct.

4 If you're in a motoring organisation AA,RAC etc contact them.

5 Talk to the citizens Advice people to ascertain if you have grounds to contact the Insurance ombudsman.

Seems to me your insurance company are giving you the runaround! :blush:

#11 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

thanks for the ideas guys. I'll keep you posted

#12 OverWhatHill

OverWhatHill

A bit of a tit!

• Members
  • 3595 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Audi A3 200 bhp

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

I really feel for you, mate.

Your insurer should be fighting for you, not giving you the brush-off.  

There is an organisation that should make them sit up and take notice: the Financial Ombudsman:-

http://www.financial.../complaints.htm

12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.

replaced my 59-plate A3 S-Line that replaced my Mondeo 2.2 TDCi Titanium X

#13 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

that's my next step in the new year

#14 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

a guy at work told me if you have legal cover on your home insurance it can be used on anything?

may be some truth in it , he only every adds legal cover to one policy a year as he had heard that anything else is a duplicate.

may be some truth in it as my home insurance were going to help when i got knocked off my bike but i didnt need them in the end.

just a thought mate if you have legal cover on your home insurance it may be worth a call?

all the best 

jon

#15 metallica fish

metallica fish

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

UPDATE:

so I've been to Citizens Advice. They have told me to write to the company responsible for the property at the time to accuse them of TORT negligence. Basically means they did not do their duty in making sure that the building structure was safe. 

#16 peterex

peterex

Post Whore

• Members
  • 11257 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 330D SE
  • Name:Pete (The Fossil)

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

UPDATE:

so I've been to Citizens Advice. They have told me to write to the company responsible for the property at the time to accuse them of TORT negligence. Basically means they did not do their duty in making sure that the building structure was safe. 

To be honest I wouldn't do that! Don't start quoting legal terms unless you know the law inside and out. The first thing the property owners will do is contact their insurers/legal people and you'll be straight into a legal battle with them which I doubt you will win!

You need legal representation. Have you tried the first 4 of the 5 steps I suggested last December? 

Also you need to retain the car as it was after the damage was done in case it needs to be inspected. If you've sold it for spares or sold bits off it, any claim or legal action will be compromised!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users