15 replies to this topic

#1 2487jamesm

2487jamesm

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Name:Jay

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:11 AM

Right Guys, I need help. I took my Mondeo for MOT bk in september. everything seemed fine before the mot, but the mechanic rang me to say it had failed as my driver side suspension spring had snapped. I had the mechanic put on a new spring. Car then pased the MOT.

After I picked it up and drove it home i noticed it pulling to the left, the opposite side to the new spring. I rang the mechanic and he said give it a couple of days to bed in.

After about a week I went back to the garage and explaind it still pulling to the left. He had a quick check over and said bring it in the following day as he wasnt 100% with the mount.

I took it in, and he removed the spring, then put it back on and this time said he was 100% certain it was all done correctly. I drove away with the same pulling to the left problem.

I then had the car wheels tracked. Still pulling to the left!

I done some research on the net and on here, and was told to replace the passenger side also and not to change 1 spring on its own. 

I went back to the garage and asked them to replace the passenger side spring, which he done. I drove away with my fingers crossed, and u guessed it, it still pulls to the left.

I had the wheels tracked again.

All tyre pressures are ok also. 

Now I can not think of anything else to check or have looked at!!!!!

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as it is driving me mad with the constant pulling.

Oh also the mechanic was checking my tyres for roundness or sumthing which he said was all ok.

Any info please would be very much appriciated.

Cheers guys

Jay

#2 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:st tdci mondeo
  • Name:Jon Carter

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Try swapping the tyres over left on right etc, if you have been running it with a broken Spring/ poor geometry the tyres may be causing it.

Or swap tyres diagonally if yo can

Jon
2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

Just need time to fit halos,DRLs & Cupra splitter , will be remapped soon!

#3 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

If that doesn't fix it , and as a matter of course it should have a full geometry check , not just track. This will highlight any bent components. If you do swap the tyres over make sure they are not directional
2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

#4 keith300

keith300

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST TDCI 2.2

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Just wondering if you solved your issue as my Car is doing the exact same thing.

#5 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1514 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Just wondering if you solved your issue as my Car is doing the exact same thing.

Keith.
It's worth pointing out that mk3 mondeos pull to the left as a standard thing.
I've never driven one that doesn't have at least a slight pull to the left. It's just one of their known issues, just like the way the tailgate on a hatchback often allows rain to enter the boot when the tailgate is raised.
2 x mk3 Mondeos and a Renault Captur

#6 keith300

keith300

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST TDCI 2.2

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

Thanks raynkar, 

have changed the discs and pads on the front and now no big wobble and loads better to drive. 

mine was leaking in the boot have put a 3/4 tap washer on the thread of the light seems to have fixed it (I have the estate)

#7 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 ST TDCI
  • Name:Paul Greenwood

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

I am having the same issue with my 05 Hatchback. The car pulls left under acceleration. It pulls left under braking. But the scariest thing is when I am cornering and turning left, it seems that the car is understeering quite badly, then all of a sudden its as the car has suddenly found traction and pulls left sharply. I am unsure on what this can be, but, I am about to change nearly the full front end to try to stop this problem.

The plan is to change:-

Top Mounts.

Track rods

Track Rod Ends

Anti Roll Bars.

I will report back to see if this stops this issue. Hopefully it will, if not I have no idea!!!

Mk3 ST TDCI in Performance Blue.

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

#8 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1514 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:03 PM

I am having the same issue with my 05 Hatchback. The car pulls left under acceleration. It pulls left under braking. But the scariest thing is when I am cornering and turning left, it seems that the car is understeering quite badly, then all of a sudden its as the car has suddenly found traction and pulls left sharply. I am unsure on what this can be, but, I am about to change nearly the full front end to try to stop this problem.

The plan is to change:-

Top Mounts.
Track rods
Track Rod Ends
Anti Roll Bars.

I will report back to see if this stops this issue. Hopefully it will, if not I have no idea!!!

How is the tracking?

#9 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

How is the tracking?

The tracking was slightly out, had that sorted and the problem got worse....

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

#10 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

How is the tracking?

I will also say I have had the front discs and pads replaced as I had a lot of wheel wobble under braking.

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

#11 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Have you checked the bottom arm bushes?

#12 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

Have you checked the bottom arm bushes?

No, but will check these at the same time as removing wheels, if it's these then will high tail it to purchase some

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

#13 raynkar

raynkar

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1514 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Did you have two wheel or four wheel/full geometry check?

#14 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

He had equipment on all four wheels bit only altered fronts...

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

#15 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

So the work has been completed on the front end. When wheels where taken off I found the NS lower arm was pretty worn. So have changed those too.

Outcome, vehicle is no longer loose in the corners and feels all tight.....

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

#16 pg1973

pg1973

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

So a quick update for you. Drove to Manchester this week, experienced a little knocking. Took to a garage who threw it on a lift. Drivers side lower arm had more play in it than someone putting a wooden spoon in a 3ft diameter pipe. It seems my Mondeo likes to eat parts, it was that bad the tyre on the inside was down to the canvas😳. So took the lower arm back to the motor factors who supplied it. Very nicely they replaced it for me.... and paid for the new tyre and labour too.....

​Xenon HID Conversion.
Stage 1 Re-Map.

160 BHP.

405 Nm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users