8 replies to this topic

#1 2487jamesm

2487jamesm

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Name:Jay

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hello people. I recently put my car in for MOT which failed due to a broken Sespension spring, Drivers side. I got a new spring fitted by the mechanic and then the car passed. Since this work has been done, when Im driving, my car pulls to the left slightly, and even more so when braking. 

I returned to the garage who done the work and the MOT and explained. The mechanic then looked at teh car and was not 100% satisfied, so Asked me to come back the following day. I dropped my car off the following day and he checked it over. When I returned, he told me he had removed the spring again and refitted it. He said everything looked ok, he was just double checking. He advised me to maybe get the tracking checked. 

I then took my car to a garage next door to where the work was done to get the tracking checked. The tracking was out, but now is bang on. Problem solved, or at least I thought. I drove out of the tracking garage and went for a run. It is still pulling to the left, not as bad as it was but it still doing it and it is very very annoying. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? 

P.S, All tyre presssure are ok.

Cheers for any help guys.

Jay

#2 Grifftheceilingfixer

Grifftheceilingfixer

Getting better

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo st tdci
  • Name:Mark

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

Did you change both front springs.

#3 2487jamesm

2487jamesm

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Name:Jay

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Did you change both front springs.

no mate it was just the driver side that was changed. he looked at the other side and said it looked fairly new an it was ok.

#4 Grifftheceilingfixer

Grifftheceilingfixer

Getting better

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo st tdci
  • Name:Mark

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

I would have put a pair on get a tape measure and check the gap between the arch and wheel then check the other side should be the same .

#5 jagojon

jagojon

Getting better

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:st tdci mondeo
  • Name:Jon Carter

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

I would have put a pair on get a tape measure and check the gap between the arch and wheel then check the other side should be the same .

spot on advice, but park it on level ground and measure from centre of wheel to bottom of wheel arch as it is easier to be accurate

all the best

jon

2006 ST TDCI, panther black, full recaro electric leather,factory xenons,factory park sensors,2012 sat nav, dvd screens, playstation x2 ,DMB badges, folding mirror mod, detachable towbar, focus ST badges. Full led bulbs, full size spare.ASBOs with EBC Ultimax pads all round,Eibachs,HEL brake hoses,Black eyes & headlamp eyebrows, Airtech intercooler,ST220 twin pipes, decat.Homemade badgeless grill.

Just need time to fit halos,DRLs & Cupra splitter , will be remapped soon!

#6 Dewalt Dave

Dewalt Dave

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Ive got exactly the same problem here at the moment. 

Replaced a snapped front off side spring at the garage. Mechanic lowered the subframe to get the room to remove the strut and the car pulled left afterwards.

Got the tracking done the next the day, tyre pressures were all over the place and the tracking was out - but now the steering wheel and wheels are straight but at slow or at speed - the car is turning to the left.

Its booked back in, but my mechanic has suggested that lowering the subframe may have upset the geometry of the car so he is going to look at that again. I will also get him to measure the two front corners when its in the workshop as they may be slightly different.

#7 ST56

ST56

Post Whore

• Members
  • 4783 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:PB ST TDCi

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

Hi

Springs may look the same but have different characteristics. I would suggest always replacing as a matched pair.

Has wheel alignment been checked on a 4 wheel machine to ensure all corners are aligned.

Peter

5 Door ST TDCi, Performance Blue, Privacy glass, Black Leather/Alcantara Recaro's, Denso Sat Nav, Advanced Bluetooth, Voice Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Jaguar Flip Key, Eibach Springs Fin No.1132335, Added Foam Rear Bumper support pads. Focus indicators in mirrors. ASBO Calipers Painted Red. Ford Discs Front & Rear. With RedStuff pads.CCFL Halo’s by Chromiumtech. 6000K D2S Bulbs in Ford Projectors dip beam. 6000K H1 HID Kit Main Beam, FORGE Boost & Inlet Hoses. Full 2.5" bore Turbo back exhaust system with 4’’ Tailpipe from MIJ Exhaust.

#8 Richielaa

Richielaa

Learner STdriver

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

I changed my front springs without touching the subframe.

#9 ST56

ST56

Post Whore

• Members
  • 4783 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:PB ST TDCi

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Hi

Important when removing struts not to force bottom arm down too far, or it is easy to damage driveshaft or suspension bushes.

I swapped to Eibach springs years ago by compressing new and old springs slightly. This allowed be to remove bottom of strut out from hub without disturbing bottom ball joints or drive shafts. It was all a bit of fun keeping all the different components in the right places so as not to cause any damage. Dropping the subframe is one way to give extra clearance.

Peter

5 Door ST TDCi, Performance Blue, Privacy glass, Black Leather/Alcantara Recaro's, Denso Sat Nav, Advanced Bluetooth, Voice Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Jaguar Flip Key, Eibach Springs Fin No.1132335, Added Foam Rear Bumper support pads. Focus indicators in mirrors. ASBO Calipers Painted Red. Ford Discs Front & Rear. With RedStuff pads.CCFL Halo’s by Chromiumtech. 6000K D2S Bulbs in Ford Projectors dip beam. 6000K H1 HID Kit Main Beam, FORGE Boost & Inlet Hoses. Full 2.5" bore Turbo back exhaust system with 4’’ Tailpipe from MIJ Exhaust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users