Ford ST/RS Forum banner

Jamo's Old St

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Jamo 
#1 ·
Went in the pub friday, the guy who bought my ST has already had a new DMF and clutch and couple of weeks back.

Its just been diagnosed with the old injector problem and he has got rid of it !

I told you it was jinxed

lol

Jamo

#6 ·
I cant believe he let you walk back out the pub :}

#7 ·
Does it make you feel any better knowing it wasn't something personal and that the car is a pile of sh!te to all its owners?

Reactions: peterex
#9 ·
Little update, saw the geezer xmas eve, it turns out the fuel pump had selfdestructed and was going to cost £800 to replace.

The guy he took it too (his mate who fixes cars) said the fuel filter was chock a block with fuel pump metal debris and being as the fuel pump is inside the tank it will cost thousands to clear out and has probably already damaged the injectors.

He sold the car for £1500 quid 6 months after paying me £3k

Personally speaking, I'd say the fuel filter is doing a good job of stopping anything damaging the injectors and he's had his pants down.

Any failure of a fuel pump would be contained within the body of the fuel pump and any debris, if such a thing happened, would be confined to the fuel line up to the filter, not in the tank.

I really wished he had come back to me first and asked my advice, I do know a smidgen about cogs and spanners etc, as do a lot of people in my village.

Jamo

#10 ·
Little update, saw the geezer xmas eve, it turns out the fuel pump had selfdestructed and was going to cost £800 to replace.
The guy he took it too (his mate who fixes cars) said the fuel filter was chock a block with fuel pump metal debris and being as the fuel pump is inside the tank it will cost thousands to clear out and has probably already damaged the injectors.

Personally speaking, I'd say the fuel filter is doing a good job of stopping anything damaging the injectors and he's had his pants down.
Any failure of a fuel pump would be contained within the body of the fuel pump and any debris, if such a thing happened, would be confined to the fuel line up to the filter, not in the tank.
I really wished he had come back to me first and asked my advice, I do know a smidgen about cogs and spanners etc, as do a lot of people in my village.

Jamo
StuC will be along soon to tell you how a fuel pump failure cost him more than twice what I sold my 220 for to repair. Clearly the fuel filter does sod all to protect the injectors etc.

#16 ·

Jamo
This is exactly what happened to me :(
Cost me almost £3.5k to repair :(

This is one of the many reasons why I now hate my Mondeo :(

#19 ·
Bloody hell, How can so much damage be caused ? What failed and how did that failure affect other parts ? where does all the costs to repair come from ?

I don't get all this ?

Jamo
The swarf got everywhere on mine :( I had to replace all 4 injectors, PCM, fuel pump and rail, have the lines and tank removed and flushed :(

F*ckin 5hitey Mondeo :angry:

#20 ·
That's what the guy said my old one needed. Whats the point of a fuel filter then ?????

I've had dirty fuel, heating oil, rust, petrol in diesel, diesel in petrol, water in everything, general grit, shit and pretty much allsorts in a fuel tanks over the years, I've never heard of all this damage being caused.

I've had fuel filters actually clogged solid with crap (which is good because they are doing their job).

I find this all very bizarre

Jamo

#24 ·
For anybody turning up here later - the problem with these and any high pressure system is that the filter has to be in the low pressure side of things, or you'd need a containment vessel that weighed an awful lot and filters would be enormously expensive.

The fuel filter (assuming you have a genuine bosch/delphi/ford one, that's important!) filters what's coming from the tank. When the filter is full of bits of pump, it has stopped them on their way back to the engine from the tank (well unless engine is cold then fuel gets recirculated through the filter). To get to the tank, they first emerge from the low pressure side of pump and either go back to the tank or off through the high pressure pump and the injector. Some (not Ford in the relevant tsb) say you could just swap out pump and high pressure parts incl injectors, and rely on filter to catch the stuff in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.