Ford ST/RS Forum banner

2.2 Tdci 155 Vs Remap

27K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  adamjf 
#1 ·
Evening,

I've been looking around and seeing the comparison between a standard 2.2 TDCi 155 and a remapped one. However, the figures are always the Torque and Power. Now it's all well and good knowing your car has increased the amount of horses in the stables and it's ability to reverse the rotation of the earth, but I've not seen any comparison on where it actually matters. Has anyone done an actual comparison of a before and after of figures such as 0-60mph, 0-100mph, etc? Quarter mile sprint times, mile sprint times, top speed?

Reason I ask is that I'd like a good comparison. I'm looking into upping my cars performance, and of course a remap isn't cheap, nor are decats, etc. If the improvement in the actual performance isn't much, what's the point in spending hard earned money when you're just shaving off .1 of a second off your 0-60, or finishing a quarter of a mile sprint a second quicker? Of course, I'm not looking for a car to race around in, otherwise I'd have purchased a Coupe and done that up instead
My bike covers that side of it anyhow. I just want that extra performance, I don't neccessarily need it, but I want it
Course, need to figure in whether it's worth it. If I'm getting little for lots, then there's little point.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Peterx has some figures he's posted up a few times for his with Bluefin. Not sure where you'd find them but if you PM him, I'm sure he'll produce the goods.
For me personally it;s not just about the outright performance, the way it transforms the engine is worth every penny. You don't need to thrash the engine, it just feels effortless.

#3 ·
One site I was looking at, i cant really remember which one but we were talking seconds off the 0-60 time not .1 seconds- my mates diesel golf 130bhp was remapped to near 180 and it took 2.5 seconds off the 0-60 time!

#4 ·
its for performance yes, but it is also for easier driving, a standard st tdci is limited in first and second gear i think, therefore sometimes you gotta put your foot down at times to get moving, once remapped the limiter is taken away so revs alot more freely enabling you to get to required speed easier and quicker, yes i know the limiter is there to protect the DMF but as long as you dont do F1 take offs it will be so much effortless
, as for the decats, they are done to simply de restrict the exhaust and then lets the turbo spool faster which gives slightly more performance

#5 ·
I havent got any figures but can definitly say it makes the car drive better. I've had a bigger intercooler, decat and remap done and each time the car drives better. It isnt restricted in 1st and 2nd gear and accelerates quicker and smoother. I would highly recommend getting it done, car feels a lot livelier.

#6 ·
Cheers for the info guys. So we're talking about a genuine performance increase here (That includes smoother engine, acceleration, MPG, etc) and not just small increases on large figures. So definitely a good idea to get it done then

If anyone has the actual figures, I'd be interested to see the differences I can expect. My friends Fiat Punto 1.9JTD got a remap from 85BHP to 135BHP and that thing keeps up with me if we're having a play. So definitely a massive improvement on what I can say, is a combination of canal boats and agriculture vehicles

#11 ·
OK mate these are the figures I got before and after fitting Bluefin which is well known as not being an aggressive map! Bluefin was uploaded at the side of the road and the car was timed again straight afterwards. Normally the ECU needs time to adapt to driving style so a remap might take a few miles to settle in. The car was bog standard with no other mods. Any improvements in in gear times needs quite a power increase to achieve a reduction of more than a second or so here and there, so remember I wasn't running an aggressive map and the ECU hadn't settled in. But straight away the improvements could be seen and felt.
Out of deference to the Dual Mass Flywheel 0-60 times and traffic lights grand Prix are not really recommended!

I have yet to run the tests again which I intend to do later this year since I now have a decat pipe and the uprated intercooler fitted. One quick check I did towards the end of last year with Bluefin and the Decat pipe fitted was 60-100 using 4th and 5th gear the time came out at I think 12.93 seconds. The intercooler has made a noticeable improvement so I'm keen to see what the new times will be. As a matter of interest the owners of a 180 Bhp Cupra R, a Merc 220D, a Lexus 220 and several large V6 and V8 Range Rover type cars etc have been surprised! As have a good few local boy racers but I'll say no more except that it seems on par with a 200BHP petrol car. I'm very pleased with it.

Apologies to all for raking out these old figures again they were taken almost 3 years ago. No one else seems to have run a similar test on the TDCI?

Attachments

#7 ·
if you get a remap on the car as standard then expect around 180-187bhp, an increase of around 25-32hp and increase of an extra 45-50lb ft, but mods such as decat, intercooler and exhaust and it may push to around 195-200bhp, but you gotta ask yourself if the price of the intercooler(£110), decat(£90ish), exhaust system(£250-300 all totalling around £500 is worth the extra 20 or so bhp extra, to some ppl its worth it, even to me its worth it as at the moment i got spare cash to throw at it, but if your cash is limited then just go for a remap as you wont be dissapointed

Remember all cars are individual and will get different figures, age and certainly mechanical condition will affect the overall remap figure, knowing my luck i will get an increase of only 10 ponies

oh and as for your friends car, after a remap you will leave him standing

#8 ·
Yay! Leave him standing!

One thing, someone mentioned getting a remap on a dyno. Now, at the risk of being stupid, but what is a dyno? I know Dyno's on a bike, but for a car I'm assuming it's not the same. Had a look online, but couldn't find anything crystal clear, I found figures and loads of them, mainly charts, so not got a clue. Is a dyno a full remap (i.e. not a chip) or the otherway round? Or is it something completely different?

Cheers guys.

#9 ·
rolling road mate most places do 2 runs before and after the map so first one is what your cars brake(bhp) is standard could be higher than normal or could be running less than 155bhp then the second one is what bhp you car has managed after they have put the remap on

hope that has helped a bit

#13 ·
Cheers for the info there peterex, very good detail :)

Looking at that, there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of difference, we're talking about time differences between 0.2 and 0.8. Seems little for the money for me. But as you said they were before the run in period. I might do some comparison charts of before and afters as I get each thing done.

#16 ·
I didn't plan my upgrades in any particular order other than making sure the brakes upgrade was first (I wanted to know for sure I could stop
) and the remap last to tie everything in together and get the most out of them. 1st engine mod other than the airfilter was the decat, negligible effect in terms of bhp but great in reducing lag as it allows the turbo to spin up easier and engine responds quicker. 2nd was intercooler and hoses, this made the biggest difference in the feel of the engine, car felt faster but it was the way the engine pulled the car along effortless but eager. Exhaust came next, minimal difference in my case except a much better noise and the tailpipe looks better. Then lastly came the remap, make sure you tell them of any engine upgrades. They took the car for a road test first to make sure their was nothing wrong with the car, they didn't want to put it on the rollers or remap it without making sure first. Then it went on the rollers to measure what was being put out. Official figures for the car when new are 155PS or 153bhp, mine recorded 156bhp, then they remapped it and gave it a run, it came up with 180bhp, but they felt they could get more, gave the map another tweak and run on the rollers and it came back as 190bhp. This in my opinion is a safe map. They probably could have got a little more, but I'm very happy with it.

#17 ·
Just a further thought, have a look on the Superchips Bluefin website at the power and torque curves they publish. Also see any curves posted on the Forum. It will give you more idea what it's all about. Note also a "custom" map will most likely give you more performance than Bluefin. But remember the higher the state of tune the more you may be eating away at the reliability of the injectors and DMF etc. Having said that the engine should handle a 20-25% power increase without much problem.

#15 ·
no bother i was the same as you am learning as i go along, if you have any question no matter how silly you think it is don't be afraid to ask, because am sure its been asked before, plus the guys on here are very help full and easy to talk to

#18 ·
hi guys
ive had a CR TECH off E-bay for £78 recons upto 30% increase in BHP but they all say that but it has made a BIG difference in the torque and seems to rev a more freely this along with a K&N panel & powerflow exhaust id like to put it alongside a standard ST TDCI just to see the difference

#24 ·
Sorry just seen this thread last nite, are you sure those times are right, as I had a blast on the motorway this morning! I set the car at 60 UN cruise control in 4th then floored it using stopwatch and when I hit 100 my time was 10.98 secs I did another run and got 11.1. The roads were greasy as well as its stormy up north lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.