•  

Photo

Renewing With Open Claim

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Briggsy

Briggsy

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

Bit of advise needed, in Oct 2010 a woman reversed into the side of me (I was inside my Aunts house at the time and she owned up to it thank god) anyway due to her owning up she admitted full liability, so case closed you would imagine. Nope, it's still ongoing as the insurance companies are arguing about the applicable costs and it's now moving to the High court between them to resolve it (had a letter a few weeks back).

Morethan have confirmed she has admitted full liability and so reinstated the claim from a fault to non fault therefore not effecting NCD, I'm also suspecting that More than haven't chased this up for a while as it wasn't till I rang a little while ago that things suddenly started coming through the post to confirm this that and the other considering it was ongoing for over a year at this point.

As insurance is due next month I did a quick comparison site search and found that even with the claim there were several insurers a hell of a lot cheaper than what I'm currently paying, circa £100.

Whats the situation with open claims, but liability admitted its only open due to the bloody insurance companies quibbling over a few quid, can I move or will I be stuck for another year? If I am stuck could I argue with More than that renewal prices elsewhere are far cheaper and they should match it.

Cheers for any help.

#2 GingerTom

GingerTom

Streetkat !

• Members
  • 13,522 posts
  • 118 thanks

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

You can go where you like. You had the accident within the expired contract of the policy so you can insure elsewhere with your ncb and leave them to argue over it.

You have been shown to be blameless but you must still declare the claim of course. They are probably arguing over costs of car hire or something which doesn't affect your blame status.

#3 Briggsy

Briggsy

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thats interesting and as I thought, funny how More than never confirmed that though when I questioned it a few times, all they came back with 'we understand your frustration and want to resolve this asap'.

Cheers GT

#4 ST220Paul

ST220Paul

Flat out!

• Members
  • 4,826 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

October 2010?! Blimey, that's some time that one has been dragging! Fascinating how long the insurers will argue in what, at first, sounds like a fairly simple case.

Litchfield Type-20 Subaru Impreza

Cosworth air filter, Milltek exhaust, sports cat, AST fully adjustable suspension and remapped - 350bhp/345ftlb - Flying machine with penchant for petrol!

'Mighty' Mondeo Mistral

1.8 litres of raw power - very comfy and fantastic at lugging mountain bikes around.

54 plate ST220  Now sold but will be missed.
Milltek cat-back system, ASBO brakes & Eibach springs
'P' reg Fiesta 1.4 Ghia X  Sold.

#5 Briggsy

Briggsy

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Aye as GT said they're quibbling over hirecar duration and the cost of some repairs from what they told me. I didnt bother look to change insurers last year as More than were still cheaper than anyone else, but this year I've done some quotes and actually its over £100, Admiral quoting £489 on a £100 excess where as More than was £665 on a £50 excess, crazy how the price has decreased especially considering theres my non fault claim in '10 and the missus in May '11 had a fault claim where she hit a post in Wales.

So even though I'll have 2 new claims the insurance is dropping a lot.

Hell on Moneysupermarket theres one company called Chaucer direct and they're quoting £379!

#6 GingerTom

GingerTom

Streetkat !

• Members
  • 13,522 posts
  • 118 thanks

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Cahucer have been going for ages. I can't comment on their quality as we never had an agency with them but they are an established name.

#7 Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet

Still Stealthy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I stopped at a pedestrian crossing to let someone cross and was hit from behind by at twat in a Audi whilst I was insured by MoreThan in March 2009!!
They didn't chase anything up although blame by the third parties insurers was admitted and never contested so at renewal time Dec 09 they wanted double the previous years premium because the claim was still open.
After complaining countless times to their customer services that I was paying extra for their lack of service they eventually agreed to pay me back the difference,then through 2010 they continued to do nothing unless I spent my days off chasing them up until renewal Dec 2010 came up and I tried insuring elsewhere but the open case was pushing up quotes so I spoke to the insurance ombudsman and explained I was being left financially out of pocket due to MoreThan and they agreed I may have a case.
I contacted MoreThan and told them of this,then they agreed to close my side of the claim as no fault as surprise surprise they were only arguing over hire car and repair costs that were all handled by them(sound familiar?)
Now nearly three years later from time to time I still get a letter from MoreThan's solicitors informing me they are going to take the third party to court and would I like to go,I have told them I am thankfully no longer a customer of theirs and never will be even if their premiums are cheaper and I wouldn't be a good witness to their efficiency.
So Briggsy,as GT advised you should tell some new insurers of the no fault claim and the situation as I found them sympathetic and like myself put it down to bad experience and thanks for opportunity to vent some of the long standing anger over these people!!!
Best of luck mate.
[color:red][/color]

#8 GingerTom

GingerTom

Streetkat !

• Members
  • 13,522 posts
  • 118 thanks

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sadly you often deal with people who don't know how the system should work.

If you are successful in recovering your losses such as excess and your insurers know that blame has been admitted they should not penalise you just because they cannot agree costs with the third party. Your record should be cleared and bonus re-instated leaving them to tie up the loose ends.

The fact that you had to go to such extremes is very unfortunate.

As for not assisting the solicitors you have to be a bit careful here depending on the contract you have with your legal protection cover. Some have a clause built in saying you won't be responsible for costs as long as you agree to assist them with their claim and if you refuse you could end up with a bill. This is not always the case of course - it it's just your insurers trying to get back their loss it won't apply but if it's solicitors cover provided with your policy it could.

#9 Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet

Still Stealthy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

In MoreThan's glossy paperwork they state as long as you use their preferred supplier of hire cars and body repair they will take care of everything and not worry about it being sorted out in a professional manner.
I did all they asked to the letter and trusted them and the fact that nearly 3 years later this is not put to bed speaks volumes about this company.

Cheaper premiums are all very well but you only find out how good these companies are when unfortunately you have a claim ,and many get work by word of mouth so if anyone reading about my experiences with MoreThan do not end up with problems as Briggsy and myself then I'm glad to have helped in a small way.
Thanks GT, I have noted your advise on possible costs and wont do anything that I might regret but you can understand me wanting to distance myself from this claim anytime soon.
[color:red][/color]

#10 GingerTom

GingerTom

Streetkat !

• Members
  • 13,522 posts
  • 118 thanks

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Yep fully understand :L