•  

Photo

ST220 to Fiesta ST

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 PaulG

PaulG

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

With the continued increase in petrol prices, insurance and VED I'm thinking about selling the ST220 for a Fiesta ST (the old shape, ST150).

I can count the number of times I've used 4 seats on one hand (in the last 3 years that I've owned the car) and on the rare occasion I need something big, I can rent a car or van. I can get my speed fix from the TVR and I'm doing peanuts mileage to and from the station.

So... what's the ST150 like? I know the tuning options (mmm... Mountune) but has anyone had both a Fiesta ST and an ST220? How does MPG compare for example? Am I just better keeping with what I've got.

Thoughts / opinions welcomed!
ST220 in Panther Black
Xenons, Sat Nav, PDC, heated rear seats.
ASBO calipers, EBC reds & Ultimax disks with braided hoses. JP Sports Exhaust

#2 Monkeyra

Monkeyra

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 4,189 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

What year is your ST220? Are you affected by the high VED prices then? If not, there's not much difference in it. Fuel you'll definitely save in, as I'd be astonished if the Fiesta ST only achieves mid-20's. I suspect the ST150 will be a hoot to drive, the only thing I've heard (from a mate who used to own one) is that it's a bit underpowered at 150bhp. If you can fit a supercharger to it, then oh yes, what a toy!

2011 Mondeo Titanium X Sport, 240PS Powershift

#3 YORKSHIRENEO

YORKSHIRENEO

Yorkshire Meets Organiser

• Meet Organiser
  • 2,830 posts
  • 64 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Wonder if the ST220 engine could be crammed into the fester engine bay????
Interested in going to meets? Based in Yorkshire?

Click here then!!! -----> http://www.stdrivers.../181-yorkshire/
2004 04 Panther Black Mondeo ST220
De-badged for the Stealth look
Have I been of help to you? Then don't forget to click the "THANKS" button :)
So far I have replaced: Front discs and pads (pads twice), rear discs and pads, spark plugs, HT leads, coil pack, 4 x tyres (2 x Bridgestone Potenza's and 2 x cheapies), o/s/f spring, 2 x rear bearings, front and rear wipers, 2 x handbrake cables and now a new windscreen!! 4 x Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas plus tracking

#4 Monkeyra

Monkeyra

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 4,189 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

Now you're talking :D

#5 PaulG

PaulG

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

The ST220 is an '05, so it's "only" £260.

I drove an ST150 when I was still at Ford - I got a pre-launch jolly. I agree, it is a tad underpowered, but the availability of tuning options (including the very reasonable Mountune 185 kit) would make it fine.

Most of my driving is B-roads these days... the 220 is fine, but I'm wondering if I can cut costs by going smaller. If the MPG is mid-30s (??!?) then it might make sense. Although leaving a known good, solid car for an unknown quantity... hmm.
ST220 in Panther Black

#6 Jonsen

Jonsen

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 3,465 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

Seems silly to buy a st fiesta and spend lots of money tuning it when you are trying to save money by switching cars IMO. Mondeo is a nicer car quieter smoother more comfortable etc. If it was me I'd definitely keep the 220.

54 Mondeo ST220 - Weekend / track use - Car Diary
12 Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCi - 50mpg and slow

55 Mondeo ST TDCi - Bought for a sideskirt - Sold Car Diary
09 Audi TTS - 2.0 TFSi 272bhp, Quattro, DSG, Mag Ride + Launch control! - Sold and missed a lot
06 Titanium X 2.2 TDCi - 40mpg but not quick enough - Sold and missed a little
57 Titanium X 2.5 Turbo - 20mpg but a proper sleeper - Sold and missed

#7 PaulG

PaulG

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

It's not really about the tuning - there are plenty out there that have been nicely done with a bit more poke.

I'm looking at the running costs. The 220 costs a lot for the relative little use it gets. I'm getting the feeling the maths wont add up though...
ST220 in Panther Black

#8 ST220Paul

ST220Paul

Flat out!

• Members
  • 4,906 posts
  • 58 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Depending how you're driving it you can get 40 to the gallon out the 150. My uncle does a 30 mile round trip to and from work on rural A-roads with some traffic at each end and gets near 40 (and as he has had about 18 points during his driving career it's safe to say he doesn't drive like a granny). He actually said he was spending not much more running the 150 than his old 1.4 Fiesta as it was so slow you'd to thrash the life out of it just to get to 60.

The Fiesta is deffo more fun when the road gets really twisty. It is underpowered for what the chasis could take (I did speak to one local guy who had gone down the Montune route who has very postivie things to say though did warned it might be a little loud for some tastes) but it makes up for a lot of that with chuckability.

Where the Fiesta really surffers though is the motorway. At 70 it's sitting at quite high revs and you really do feel like it needs a 6th gear. I was going to swap the 220 for one a while back to save some money (I do 16K a year and so really should be in a diesel but couldn't live with myself if I were to get one) but it was the lack of 6th gear and lack of back doors that was too much of an issue for me - often carry mates and mountain bikes. Oh and the turning circle of the Fiesta ST is about the same as a supertankers. Who knows why but you will look like an arse when you try and park in a Tescos parking space as you will seriously struggle to make it in one.

Take one for a good drive and see, but they are certainly fun!

'Mighty' Mondeo Mistral

1.8 litres of raw power - very comfy and fantastic at lugging mountain bikes around.

Porsche Cayman R

3.4 litres, 330 bhp, manual gearbox, carbon fibre bucket seats, switch-able sports exhaust, cornering lights etc etc 

#9 GingerTom

GingerTom

Streetkat !

• Members
  • 13,522 posts
  • 118 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

It's the old question of cost to change. If it's going to cost you quite a bit to buy the Fiesta how long will it take you to break even in fuel and tax etc?

If it's a straight swap then fair enough. Must admit I have seen a few Fiesta STs and they do look fun and not heard any bad reports. Will probably attract the chavs everywhere you go though.

#10 tennooge

tennooge

Getting better

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

I've got an ST220 and the girlfriend used to have a fiesta ST150, which I was insured to drive. The fiesta is a cracking motor. Not as comfortable as the mondeo, but defiantly fun to drive. I found it pulled great from low down, but once you exceed 5000rpm it runs out of steam. Handling wise, it's great fun. My only criticism would be slight under steer in the wet, could have been down the tyres, but they were Goodyear’s or another premium brand.

If you get one, look for full leather heated seats, my girlfriend’s car had them and they were great.

Reliability wise, it never missed a beat.
Infra Red ST220

Focus ST225 Front Calipers with Yellow Stuff Pads
Goodridge Hoses
Powder Coated Wheels
Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrics
Rear Parking Sensors
DVD/mp3//bluetooth Head unit
Jaguar Flip Key
Rear Tinted Windows
Retrofitted Cruise control

#11 Jailman

Jailman

Improving with age

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

With the continued increase in petrol prices, insurance and VED I'm thinking about selling the ST220 for a Fiesta ST (the old shape, ST150).

I can count the number of times I've used 4 seats on one hand (in the last 3 years that I've owned the car) and on the rare occasion I need something big, I can rent a car or van. I can get my speed fix from the TVR and I'm doing peanuts mileage to and from the station.

So... what's the ST150 like? I know the tuning options (mmm... Mountune) but has anyone had both a Fiesta ST and an ST220? How does MPG compare for example? Am I just better keeping with what I've got.

Thoughts / opinions welcomed!

[color:black]ST220 Stardust silver
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down! :thumb:

#12 Jailman

Jailman

Improving with age

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi, I've got an ST220 and my better half has a Fiesta ST. The Fiesta's ride is very hard compared to the Mondeo. If you plan on doing much motorway driving-forget it! you'll be deaf in weeks! The Fiesta really does need another gear, if only to quieten it down on the motorway. On the twisty stuff though it's a hoot to chuck about. My missus does a 25 mile round trip to work and gets about 35 MPG, which is only 10 MPG more than the 220. Put simply the fiesta is great around town but if you want effortless cruising stick with the ST220!
[color:black]ST220 Stardust silver
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down! :thumb:

#13 kikie

kikie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

If you get a Fiesta ST and tune it, it will probably do much less MPG than a standard Fiesta ST. Keep the ST220.
An ST TDCI is a better choice.

#14 Monkeyra

Monkeyra

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 4,189 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

I need to get a new car next year as our rules stipulate all cars must be under 6 yrs old :(

Was looking at a 1.6 tdci Zetec S, £30 year VED! Bluefin it, and I bet it'll be a poky little motor?

#15 nick tdci

nick tdci

Another Outlaw

• Super Moderator
  • 3,057 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

I need to get a new car next year as our rules stipulate all cars must be under 6 yrs old :(

Was looking at a 1.6 tdci Zetec S, £30 year VED! Bluefin it, and I bet it'll be a poky little motor?

What rules are there??

#16 Monkeyra

Monkeyra

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 4,189 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

I get a car allowance, and our company rules say all cars must be under 6 yrs old. Mine is now 6 and 1/2 yrs old... need to change it else my allowance will be stopped!

#17 Jonsen

Jonsen

Regular ST poster

• Members
  • 3,465 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

IMO they are horrid to drive. Slow as anything and a crap engine with no character whatsoever. Have a go in one and I'm sure you will agree. Nice cars the new fiesta but the diesels really don't suit the "s" badge. 0-60 in 11.5 sec and 109mph top speed - coming from an st220 your gonna be dissapointed. Depends what you want from a car but if I was downsizing a Volvo c30 t5 or d5 would do the trick.

54 Mondeo ST220 - Weekend / track use - Car Diary
12 Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCi - 50mpg and slow

55 Mondeo ST TDCi - Bought for a sideskirt - Sold Car Diary
09 Audi TTS - 2.0 TFSi 272bhp, Quattro, DSG, Mag Ride + Launch control! - Sold and missed a lot
06 Titanium X 2.2 TDCi - 40mpg but not quick enough - Sold and missed a little
57 Titanium X 2.5 Turbo - 20mpg but a proper sleeper - Sold and missed

#18 Sparkzs

Sparkzs

ST Regular

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

I had a 1.6 zs tdci and I remapped it to 123 bhp but it still didn't seem enough. It could really do with that as standard.
Mondeo ST TDCi
Mods So Far
Racebits Decat, Lowered on Apex 30mm, K & N Panel Filter, Optional 5 Spoke Alloys

#19 PaulG

PaulG

ST Addict

• Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Holy thread resurrection batman!
ST220 in Panther Black

#20 philly21

philly21

Trundling along

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Don’t do it, a guy over the road has one with some daft exhaust and induction kit on. The way I perceive him is a little boy racer with his daft stripes down the middle of the car, seriously if you want a small fast hatch the only way is the Civic type r EP3, you can pick a pre-face lift up for peanuts, petrol consumption is mid 30s and it’s so much more of a car than the fizz bomb, I sold mine in January to get the ST220 the only reason being I cover lots of motorway miles, if it was only b roads then I would of kept it.

Just my ten pence worth.